Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi Controller for KRONOS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Midi Controller for KRONOS Reply with quote

Hello there,

I would like to add a Midi controller with faders plugged in usb input on my Kronos.
My purpose is to complete the Kronos controllers (buttons, faders and knobs) and facilitate live control. It would be useful for CX3 organs for example (faders set 1 for upper keyboard and faders set 2 for lower one)
The Korg NanoKontrol 2 is said to work well but actually it seems it's not true.

So what unit (with 8 faders for example) would you suggest ?

Thanks a lot

Fred
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are a few specific drawbar controllers if that's your main intended use. The tricky part is that the drawbars can't be assigned to specific CC#s, the Kronos just has too many parameters for everything to fit into 127 CCs. So you'll need a controller that does programmable SysEx, there are fewer of those and they're more expensive I think.

I'm sure the NanoKontrol 2 could work well for basic stuff though, what's going wrong for you?
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I'm sure the NanoKontrol 2 could work well for basic stuff though, what's going wrong for you?

I red it on a french forum (https://www.tapatalk.com/topic/29994-audiokeys/49894-korg-kronos-et-korg-nanokontrol-2)
A sub-routine has been added in the Kronos for Nanopad but not for NanoKontrol. So NanoKontrol seems to be uncompatible.
But in fact, I didn't have other information about that.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As sander mentioned, you definitely need a controller with sysex support
Something like novation SL series, they have a keyboard less version as well,
I use a 49 key version with my analogue Synth, it's connected to Kronos but I haven't programmed it for it yet.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:
I use a 49 key version with my analogue Synth, it's connected to Kronos but I haven't programmed it for it yet.

Thank you for your message.
Well, the Nanopad 2 sends CC#, not Sysex, and Kronos accepts them without any difficulty.
So I don't see why it wouldn't accept CC# from another midi controller unit.
What are the technical reasons for that ?

As regards Novation, I just went on site but didn't find any keyboardless version of SL series.

Last edited by Liviou2004 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use the device over USB, it needs to be class compliant as you can't install drivers on the Kronos. You could still use a regular midi connection regardless though. Possibly the NanoKontrol isn't class compliant, I don't know for sure, sorry
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go Behringer bcr2000 and it should also work with the bcf2000. Old Kronos thread should be a good read for you.
Sysex and the BC controllers thread

I have an slmk2 49 key. I didn't know you could teach it sysex. I need to dig into it a bit.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
amit wrote:

Thank you for your message.
Well, the Nanopad 2 sends CC#, not Sysex, and Kronos accepts them without any difficulty.
So I don't see why it wouldn't accept CC# from another midi controller unit.
What are the technical reasons for that ?

As regards Novation, I just went on site but didn't find any keyboardless version of SL series.

You can send anything to kronos but the questions remains what all will Kronos respond to. If it works for your use with standard cc then you can use any class compliant USB or a regular midi device.

I think that controller is called novation zero remote.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Perilous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the SL Novation controller but couldn't figure out the editing software.
I do have an extra Roland A-800 Pro which has all the working drawbar sysex codes that will be up for sale as soon as I apply a bunch of woodgrain stickers.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:

Kronos will accept CC from anything (well, anything over MIDI, or class compliant over USB), ao a NanoKontrol can work, but not to control drawbars, because they require sysex commands rather than cc commands. Allowing CC commands for that function would be a nice things to see in a software update...
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

Kronos will accept CC from anything (well, anything over MIDI, or class compliant over USB), ao a NanoKontrol can work, but not to control drawbars, because they require sysex commands rather than cc commands. Allowing CC commands for that function would be a nice things to see in a software update...

Ok, thank you for this specification but as far as I know, Kronos accepts Sysex, unless I'd be wrong ?
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
Scott wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

Kronos will accept CC from anything (well, anything over MIDI, or class compliant over USB), so a NanoKontrol can work, but not to control drawbars, because they require sysex commands rather than cc commands. Allowing CC commands for that function would be a nice things to see in a software update...

Ok, thank you for this specification but as far as I know, Kronos accepts Sysex, unless I'd be wrong ?

I think you're missing the important distinction that Kronos accepts CC for some functions, and SYSEX for other functions. So it depend what you want to do. There is a LOT you can do by sending CC commands to the Kronos, so a NanoKontrol can be very useful, just as a NanoPad is. Unfortunately, drawbar control is not one of things that the NanoKontrol can be used for, as that is one of the things that requires SYSEX.
Perilous

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come into possession of multiple Roland A-800 Pro MIDI Controllers.
I've programed them to be a dedicated CX-3 controller for the Kronos.
A few of them are up for sale. I don't mean to plug my shop.
My intention is to offer a solution for those wanting to have more control over the organ drawbars. Check it out! Cheers

My Reverb Shop
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:

I think you're missing the important distinction that Kronos accepts CC for some functions, and SYSEX for other functions. So it depend what you want to do. There is a LOT you can do by sending CC commands to the Kronos, so a NanoKontrol can be very useful, just as a NanoPad is. Unfortunately, drawbar control is not one of things that the NanoKontrol can be used for, as that is one of the things that requires SYSEX.

Ok. Thanks again.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perilous wrote:
I've come into possession of multiple Roland A-800 Pro MIDI Controllers.
I've programed them to be a dedicated CX-3 controller for the Kronos.
A few of them are up for sale. I don't mean to plug my shop.
My intention is to offer a solution for those wanting to have more control over the organ drawbars. Check it out! Cheers

My Reverb Shop

Interisting. Could you please specify what message is sent from your A800 sliders to your Kronos in order to add this type of control ?

Thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: