Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 2 SSD Upgrade
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bladerunner2125

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Kronos 2 SSD Upgrade Reply with quote

I am just wondering what SSD is inside the Kronos 2 if anyone has upgraded the SSD to a bigger faster model, I want to move the current 60gb ssd into a slave position and clone the drive to a new larger ssd, which drives are you installing and what are your boot up speeds like after the uograde?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos 2 SSD Upgrade Reply with quote

Bladerunner2125 wrote:
I am just wondering what SSD is inside the Kronos 2 if anyone has upgraded the SSD to a bigger faster model, I want to move the current 60gb ssd into a slave position and clone the drive to a new larger ssd, which drives are you installing and what are your boot up speeds like after the uograde?

The main restriction is the 32 bit OS. A new fast larger SSD will buy you a few seconds on boot up.

If you ever roll your own samples you might decide you don't need the factory Preload file. That might help about 10-15 secs give or take.

If you google search you will find about 100 posts on the topic and similar questions
Bladerunner2125

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC

I did actually begin to read the threads out there about this subject most of them seem to refer to the Kronos 1, I think this came with a Toshiba 62gb SSD installed, without dismantling the K2 I want to find out what is installed I know its 60gb rather than 62gb so possibly a different make? If I can find out what the spec of the drive is running on a 32bit OS via a Sata 2 controller, I should be able to get a better idea of what the read and write speeds might be and then buy an SSD that will improve boot up times.

There should be a panel on the base of the Kronos to be able to gain access to the SDD, cant believe Korg have made it an all screws out base removal to get to the SSD?
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 240 gig or somethibg second ssd installed in Kronos 2
Don't know about the original model, seemed intel.
32 bit or 64 bit is not going to make that any faster, the specs the system is tuned to / designed for would matter but that info is not public domain.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how the 32 bit OS has much to do with SSD speed or size. You can add a huge amount of storage if you're so inclined. Speed wise I don't know because I don't know what's in the K2, sorry.
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bladerunner2125 wrote:

There should be a panel on the base of the Kronos to be able to gain access to the SDD, cant believe Korg have made it an all screws out base removal to get to the SSD?

Sorry to butt in, but just a comment on what you've said above:
Don't forget that the Kronos is NOT (and never was meant to be) user serviceable, so why the hell would Korg make easy access to anything inside since, according to them, no one should be messing around inside it (apart from the service techs) anyway...? Rolling Eyes
Yamaha: Motif XS8
Roland: expanded JV-1010 modules (3X)
...And a bucket load of Softsynths, plug-ins, and DAW's Smile
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bladerunner2125 wrote:
GregC

I did actually begin to read the threads out there about this subject most of them seem to refer to the Kronos 1, I think this came with a Toshiba 62gb SSD installed, without dismantling the K2 I want to find out what is installed I know its 60gb rather than 62gb so possibly a different make? If I can find out what the spec of the drive is running on a 32bit OS via a Sata 2 controller, I should be able to get a better idea of what the read and write speeds might be and then buy an SSD that will improve boot up times.

I don't know all the exact detail on the K2.

many 1st gen Kronos owners successfully added a 2nd SSD.

While the Kronos K2 is new to you, 60 gig is a lot to work with.

I am still on my first 30 gig SSD. And its been 5 years. But I am a neatnik
about files. I keep work files down to a minimum on the SSD. Once I finish a SONG or a project, I copy it to a USB, then to a mac for archive, etc,

Its easy to pile up files on a Kronos, then lose track of stuff.

Just my advice.
Bladerunner2125

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jorgemncardoso

Korg left a spare power connector in the Kronos just for the purpose of adding a new ssd and also the bracket to except the extra drive you might expect them to have made the process less messy to add a new ssd?

Thats all I am saying Laughing
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding a second SSD is a lot easier than making the new one your boot drive.
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bladerunner2125 wrote:
jorgemncardoso

Korg left a spare power connector in the Kronos just for the purpose of adding a new ssd and also the bracket to except the extra drive you might expect them to have made the process less messy to add a new ssd?

Thats all I am saying Laughing

Mate, I understand what you're saying, but Korg left the connector there for the techs at the korg service center to add a new ssd to our Kronos if we want another, not for you or me to open it up and add one ourselves, so there was no need for them to make easy access inside to the user. And I dont see techs complaining about that, the longer they take to install the more they'll charge... Laughing

And BTW, if you think taking off a few screws and the bottom panel ( that takes up like 10/15 min tops) is a messy process wait till you have to take the whole thing apart in a few years for cleaning and maintenance (a good few hours and literally dozens of screws) like I've done to all of mine countless times over the years...
Yamaha: Motif XS8
Roland: expanded JV-1010 modules (3X)
...And a bucket load of Softsynths, plug-ins, and DAW's Smile
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Adding a second SSD is a lot easier than making the new one your boot drive.

+1
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jorgemncardoso wrote:

Mate, I understand what you're saying, but Korg left the connector there for the techs at the korg service center to add a new ssd to our Kronos if we want another, not for you or me to open it up and add one ourselves, so there was no need for them to make easy access inside to the user. And I dont see techs complaining about that, the longer they take to install the more they'll charge... Laughing

+1
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jorgemncardoso wrote:

+1
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

many 1st gen Kronos owners successfully added a 2nd SSD.

While the Kronos K2 is new to you, 60 gig is a lot to work with.

I am still on my first 30 gig SSD. And its been 5 years. But I am a neatnik
about files. I keep work files down to a minimum on the SSD. Once I finish a SONG or a project, I copy it to a USB, then to a mac for archive, etc,

Its easy to pile up files on a Kronos, then lose track of stuff.

Just my advice.

I put a second drive in my first generation K73 without any problems.

My K2-61 has only it's original drive. I keep both instruments the same for performance consistency. There's still plenty of room.

FWIW, on the K73, the original drive holds back up copies of files. All the new performance stuff is on the new drive.
Bladerunner2125

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone confirm that the SSD is an Intel Brand in the K2, also I know its easier to simply place the new drive as a slave but I want to be able to boot from the new drive hopefully to boost boot time speed, have any of you cloned your drives this will be far easier than doing the whole reinstall and authorisation thing, which software program did you use to clone the SSD's?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: