Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's finally done! My 80's/90's song pack + more!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just wanted to give a shout out for Dave's talents as a sound programmer. Whilst I have no (current) need for an 80s sound pack, I was impressed by the demos and contacted Dave regarding some other sounds I was having difficultly nailing.

These are "space rock" type synth sounds as heard on iconic albums such as Steve Hillage's Fish Rising and Green.

I think I am a reasonable programmer when it comes to most leads and pads, but these abstract sounds were eluding me.

I asked Dave if he could help me, we bounced emails backward and forwards and a short time later Dave has come up with the goods, which is a testament to both the Kronos AL-1 engine for its flexibility and Dave's skill in programming it.

So if you need a sound on the Kronos, and don't quite know how to get it, give Dave a shot! Very Happy

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work mate!

I wish I had someone like you a few years back when I was musically engaged, I would have kept you busy...

Next time then.

Glad to see your site is picking up.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheresgrant wrote:
Dave... curious question. When loading the Performance Pack or singular purchased sounds is there a way to chose the banks to load them in. I ran into a situation where I purchased the 80's Performance pack... loaded it and it immediate populated Combi- User Bank E and Prog Bank EE 000-119. Afterward I purchased and downloaded the single song "I Gotta Feeling" which populated Combi User Bank F 000/Prog User FF 000-002. But here is the peculiar thing... it changed/overwrote some of the Programs in the 80's Performance Pack. In other words I went to play the Money4Free OPEN (Combi User Bank E 000) and it had the Guitar from "I Got A Feeling" populating the 3rd Program in the Combi. There were others like Summer of 69 too.. it was redirected certain programs to User Program FF000. I was able to replicate this 4-5 times by reloading the Performance Pack and the Song Pack each time overwriting programs from each other Combi's. Make sense?

So my basic question is, when uploading your sounds into the Kronos, is there a way to specify the bank and locations you want to store them?

Hi there!

The tricky thing about loading program banks is that they have a designated location by default and while you CAN change them, the combis that depend on those programs being in a specific location don't have intelligent linking. In other words:
Combi's are kind of dumb. They point at where they think the sound is, but don't ever check to see if they're actually the correct sound.

I'm a huge proponent of using PCG Tools however. The software is incredible for merging/adding sounds from a backup.

The process is generally like this:
Make a Backup on your Kronos once you get some sounds loaded and things are working. (Say the 80's/90's sound pack but not any additional sounds you want to load)

Once you have the backup, move the backup files to a USB stick, put it on your computer.

Download on your PC the next group of sounds you want to merge. Let's pretend you have Backup.PCG (this is your backup) and download.PCG (This is the downloaded file you want to merge)

Open both with PCG Tools. You can use PCG Tools to copy/paste the download.PCG file information into the backup.PCG while retaining all of the links and references. Then you can save the backup.PCG as like Merged.PCG

Move the Merged.PCG back to your USB stick

Load the Merged.PCG file on the Kronos. It keeps the existing sounds where they were but adds the pasted files too that were added in PCG Tools.

Anyway, long story short is that Korg doesn't do a great job of keeping bank/program references within combi's when loading sounds. You can't link dependencies in any meaningful way, so the links break when you move sounds in the wrong spot. That's why PCG Tools was created.

I've got a video here I'd recommend checking out which goes over exactly what I just discussed above, but in more details surrounding the PCG Tools specifics itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZFAD-n7bdo

Check it out, and let me know if this helps!
mauroste

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Song packs for Krome Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
nice work, any chance to do the similar for Krome ?

Mauro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: