Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone having sound distortion issues after the update 3.1.2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drb32856

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Anyone having sound distortion issues after the update 3.1.2 Reply with quote

I waited for quite a bit before doing the update 3.1.2 on my original K61. I tried reading everything I could find on the update and or problems. Didn't find a lot so I went ahead and did it. Well the process went smoothly and without a hitch. So I felt less worried at that point. However later after not playing the board for a week I was preparing it for a show and found some issues.

1. The Kronos grand pianos sound distorted! And sometimes out of tune.
2. When using the new split/layer function the sound is distorted and the touch screen becomes less responsive.
3. Some of the sounds in many of the combis are now messed up. Distortion, or not sounding the same. Almost like the wrong samples are being played.

I thought that maybe it was a cable issue when I was at home, or maybe even my monitors and interface. However at last nights show the sound guy and some of the audience told me my keys were distorting badly. I use a Casio MZ-X 500 as my top board and it runs through the same mixer setup as the Kronos. No distortion from it. So anyway to go back to an earlier OS version or has anyone else had these issues? What would anyone advise me to do going forward? Any help/ideas would be welcomed.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can update back to the previous version, then you should do that.
If the previous version turns out to be without those issues, then you know your current OS update is behind the problem.

I would even go as far as trying a different usb storage and computer for the download of the latest update, and trying the download of the latest update all over again. Do the installation all over again after doing the update to the previous OS version. You want to find out first if the previous version installation clears up the issues before experimenting.

If the second attempt at the latest update doesn't work, then go back to the previous update again.

I hope it doesn't turn out that all OS versions, old and new ,come with the problems for you now.

You won't know until you try going back to the previous and also trying the latest update a second time maybe with a different USB device with OS downloaded from a different computer.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Touch screen recalibration is another thing to try, for the bad touch response issue. I have a slight touch response issue also since updating to 3.1.2.
I never got around to recalibration yet, because it has been quicker to just touch a few times and get the response.
drb32856

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
If the previous version turns out to be without those issues, then you know your current OS update is behind the problem.

I would even go as far as trying a different usb storage and computer for the download of the latest update, and trying the download of the latest update all over again. Do the installation all over again after doing the update to the previous OS version. You want to find out first if the previous version installation clears up the issues before experimenting.

If the second attempt at the latest update doesn't work, then go back to the previous update again.

I hope it doesn't turn out that all OS versions, old and new ,come with the problems for you now.

You won't know until you try going back to the previous and also trying the latest update a second time maybe with a different USB device with OS downloaded from a different computer.

Yes I would try that, but the issue is the going back. Don't know if its possible. Hope that it would be an easy process.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drb32856 wrote:
19naia wrote:

Yes I would try that, but the issue is the going back. Don't know if its possible. Hope that it would be an easy process.

Kronos works out OS installation by searching your drives for OS update files. It has a way of recognizing all of them. It ingnores the file or gives me an error message when i have only the currently installed version on my drive.
That makes sense since there is no point installing what is already installed.

Go to Korg support and see if the old version is there for downloading and get it if it is there. If you can use a separate usb drive so that the OS version is the only version on your drive ,so as to lessen any chance for confusion at installation. But... i think kronos will recognize several OS versions and prompt a selection for which one to install.

If you get that far, then its all the same procedure where an installation is an installation and nothing more complicated than that, unless you have equipment issues somewhere causeing problems.
drb32856

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
drb32856 wrote:
19naia wrote:

Kronos works out OS installation by searching your drives for OS update files. It has a way of recognizing all of them. It ingnores the file or gives me an error message when i have only the currently installed version on my drive.

Go to Korg support and see if the old version is there for downloading and get it if it is there. If you can use a separate usb drive so that the OS version is the only version on your drive ,so as to lessen any chance for confusion at installation. But... i think kronos will recognize several OS versions and prompt a selection for which one to install.

If you get that far, then its all the same procedure where an installation is an installation and nothing more complicated than that, unless you have equipment issues somewhere causeing problems.

Thanks. I will try this out and see. I dont have the Kronos with me right now as we have another show tonight and its with the rest of the bands gear being transported. But I will do the download of the prior OS now, and at some point tomorrow I will try to revert back.
drb32856

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drb32856 wrote:
19naia wrote:
drb32856 wrote:
19naia wrote:

Thanks. I will try this out and see. I dont have the Kronos with me right now as we have another show tonight and its with the rest of the bands gear being transported. But I will do the download of the prior OS now, and at some point tomorrow I will try to revert back.

)k, after show #2, it seems like most of the issues I was having were not present. Nothing in the way of hardware changed from show 1 to show 2. No distortions from the pianos, but afew of the combis still were a bit distorted. The screen response was back to normal as well. Really kind of puzzling.

I have about 3 weeks until the next show that needs the Kronos, so I plan to use that time going through all of the sounds, and combis I use in performances to check out any signs of issues. I may take it into my local store and do a side by side with another K to compare. If no further issues come up I will leave well enough alone with the OS and play on happily. If not, I will take the advise given in this thread and go back to the prior OS. Thanks for the help everyone. Your assistance is really appreciated.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the distortion in the headphone output?
drb32856

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
Is the distortion in the headphone output?

Yes distortion was noticed in the phones, but not as bad
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that inadvertently boosting EQ frequencies (in Set List mode) can cause this.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be getting distortion in one channel when playing the Kronos grands as well. At first I thought it was my monitors, but it doesn't seem to be an issue with other sounds or sources. Will check the meters and EQ settings and see if anything else is overloading internally.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
mikelees

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. The Kronos grand pianos sound distorted! And sometimes out of tune.
2. When using the new split/layer function the sound is distorted and the touch screen becomes less responsive.
3. Some of the sounds in many of the combis are now messed up. Distortion, or not sounding the same. Almost like the wrong samples are being played.

I've had similar effects when I had inadvertently connected a USB cable from the USB A to B sockets on Kronos, particularly pianos going out of tune and sounding weird. I would imagine you could get a similar effect linking MIDI out to in. Is there an inadvertent USB A to B or MIDI link - e.g. through a hub??
ArminH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest OS works very unstable - sometimes it does nothing at all - sometimes it says 'please switch off - wait some time and switch on' - sometimes it plays but the knobs are not working anymore.

Never happens in previous firmware.

Hope they fix it soon.

And as for the new features split should work seamless if I select another sound for the upper part of the keyboard - but does not - it stops ALL sounds.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea my Kronos started making a loud noise for no reason and I shut if off and turned on was ok. There still seems to be issues with the new update though.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven;t read every post above but to troubleshoot this issue, I recommend
disconnecting your "USB " B ( the square one) cable in the Kronos

Then reboot without it, to see if the distortion/noise goes away.

Maybe not related, but there is a USB/Apple Sierra audio loopback problem thats quite nasty . we believe its related to how Sierra mishandles USB and kronos audio.

Not to get side tracked, however. Do the USB B removal test. If no progress, also remove the USB A cable.

Its tedious but this is how trouble shooting gets done at our user level. We isolate where the problem is potentially originating.

I have not done the last OS update. So I can't mimic whats going on
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: