Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe Sampler as SP404 Style Clip Launcher

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quest8222

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Electribe Sampler as SP404 Style Clip Launcher Reply with quote

New 'tribe owner here (mainly because of this active forum). I want to use my Electribe Sampler like the SP404 Boiler Room sets--using stems of my songs and dropping them into patterns. Then manipulate and mangle the pattern live.

Sadly there are 2 major issues the ES2 has with this
1. 270 second sample time. Even if I import samples shifted down two octaves, that's only ~17 minutes. With degraded fidelity.
The workaround would be to make dozens of .all files with the stems and load them up live, BUT. .

2. The tribe asks has to stop the sequencer to load new sounds!

It seems this unit can't be used SP404 style because it has a tiny sample memory and doesn't stream from the SD Card. Is there another workaround that I'm not thinking of (that doesn't involve buying another piece of gear)?

Any help is appreciated!
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The electribe--any electribe actually--is a vastly different beast from the SP- series of samplers; basically the opposite of each other. The Electribe workflow is centered around filling that 270-second internal memory pool with mostly drums and single-cycle synth waveforms, then working the sequencer to make compositions with this small amount of raw material. The SP's are more for triggering massive chunks of samples streamed off the card without such complex sequencing.

If you need a mass of large samples (>10 seconds or so each) then the 'tribe just won't do. You'd be far better with the aforementioned SP-404(the SX model and make sure it comes with a working card!) if you need that raw sampling space.
quest8222

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks thehighesttree! Yeah I'm coming to that realization. I may try a proof of concept where I see if I can cram one of my live sets into the .all file with pitched up samples, then pitch them all down in the box. All pre chopped using the (wonderful) sample editor utility by Jonathan Taquet.

Then make a blank pattern with 4 bar holds on every pattern (because this thing doesn't have a hold function!!! Correct me if I'm wrong). Then see if I can use step edit mode to make on the fly remixes of my own stuff. Still a dope function if it's works. And still may not be worth the effort since it doesn't solve the stop sequencer problem if I wanted to load another song (.all file) within my set. The box is probably going back. As awesome as it is, for what it is.
yann_

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Where can we check your boilerroom set?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: