Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 2 - What am I missing ??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xmortenx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Kronos 2 - What am I missing ?? Reply with quote

Hi Kronos users Very Happy

I have for years tried to fall i love with the Kronos Embarassed But everytime I try one I cannot get my head around two things:

1: The Touchscreen. Itīs feels pretty oldschol and unresponsive and also combined with the a pretty non touch friendly software with tiny synths and boxes.

2: The Grand Pianos and Epīs - though huge in size they do not come close to any software or just the Nord Grand Piano 3D..

I really want a workstation - but if Kronos is the Flagship and mother of all workstations - I feel like a need to wait for a Kronos 5.

Sitting in the store in front of the Kronos bending over while tripple pressing that touchscreen to hit a tiny box - I cannot help looking over my shoulder for that hidden camera....

What I missing - since the rest of the world seem to love this board ????

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple either you like the Kronos or you don't. Move on they are many choices of keyboards on the market however the Kronos is the best workstation.

Rolling Eyes
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have for years tryed to love KRONOS, and you still dont.
Then nothing anyone sais here is going to give you anything to change your mind.
If you have tryed out KRONOS for years, and your still uncertain, then maybe KRONOS isnt for you.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos 2 - What am I missing ?? Reply with quote

xmortenx wrote:

1: The Touchscreen. Itīs feels pretty oldschol and unresponsive and also combined with the a pretty non touch friendly software with tiny synths and boxes.

Compared to... What exactly? Name an actual hardware synth that has a better UI and screen/touch interface.

And yes, there is a computer software interface that works reasonably well if you don't want to use the touchscreen. Smile

xmortenx wrote:

2: The Grand Pianos and Epīs - though huge in size they do not come close to any software or just the Nord Grand Piano 3D..

That's just like... Your opinion man. While I like the sound of the Nord Grand, I prefer the Berlin for most live situations.

I still even go back to the Oasys 3-way grand in some of the pop-rock songs to really cut through the guitars.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos 2 - What am I missing ?? Reply with quote

xmortenx wrote:
Hi Kronos users Very Happy

I have for years tried to fall i love with the Kronos Embarassed But everytime I try one I cannot get my head around two things:

I really want a workstation - but if Kronos is the Flagship and mother of all workstations - I feel like a need to wait for a Kronos 5.

Sitting in the store in front of the Kronos bending over while tripple pressing that touchscreen to hit a tiny box - I cannot help looking over my shoulder for that hidden camera....

What I missing - since the rest of the world seem to love this board ????

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It's not perfect. And to expect that is unrealistic

Since you are not feeling it, maybe its not a fit for u
xmortenx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I should move on - but Iīm just fed up with working on a DAW Smile I think I just somehow love the idea of the Kronos but am disapointed with the execution.....

With regards to opinion about the subjective quality of the piano samples. I think itīs fair to say that if one user prefers one rhodes over another within Spectrasonics Keyscape - "then itīs just their opinion, mann". They are all superbly sampled and if one prefers one keyboard over the other itīs down to taste.

However with regards to the piano samples of Kronos, I do not think itīs just a matter of me not liking that sound - there a plenty different pianos in there. I just feel the realism and quality of the samples feels a tad on the wrong side of 2010. The realism is just not 95% like Ivory or Nord 3D..

However Ivory is in the DAW and Nord is too stage oriented

Very Happy
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmortenx wrote:
I know I should move on - but Iīm just fed up with working on a DAW Smile I think I just somehow love the idea of the Kronos but am disapointed with the execution.....

With regards to opinion about the subjective quality of the piano samples. I think itīs fair to say that if one user prefers one rhodes over another within Spectrasonics Keyscape - "then itīs just their opinion, mann". They are all superbly sampled and if one prefers one keyboard over the other itīs down to taste.

However with regards to the piano samples of Kronos, I do not think itīs just a matter of me not liking that sound - there a plenty different pianos in there. I just feel the realism and quality of the samples feels a tad on the wrong side of 2010. The realism is just not 95% like Ivory or Nord 3D..

However Ivory is in the DAW and Nord is too stage oriented

Very Happy

You could get a ZOOM R24 or a TASCAM 32 track stand alone daw.
Then you could get the synth that suits you, as you do not love KRONOS.
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own a Kronos but I know , like all Korgs with a touch screen, you will need to calibrate the screen to your touch . If you use the back of your finger nail after calibrating the screen you will get immediate response every time .

But the whole point about a workstation. Is that it's value is worth more than the sum of its parts . Ths beauty of a workstation is that you can start to create and record as soon as the inspiration hits you and rough out a track very quickly .
mikeyd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what anyone can say to change your mind but I think Benny said it best. You either like it or you don't. I think both things you are concerned with are as someone else said, subjective.

Touchscreen works fine for me. It took some getting used to coming from a Triton Studio to an M3 to the K. But it function just fine for me.

The pianos are fine. I was playing last night in a rehearsal running my KRONOS through my amp, no stereo, and was thinking how good the pianos sound. I was using everything from the German Grand, Berlin Grand, Rhodes type patches, and Chorused Electric Pianos.

I'm not sure what you're looking for but if you like the NORD go for it. There is never a perfect keyboard as I'm sure you know. I, like so many others on the KRONOS forums are happy with it.

Good luck in your quest.
NormC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the in store demo stereo or just a keyboard amp? Many of the pianos are thin in mono but come alive in stereo and are very realistic.
lunaluna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to love the Yamaha MotifXF to compliment the Kronos but Just couldn't so I ended up getting a second Kronos . It may not be the best in every category but it is the best over-all Keyboard out there imho.
xmortenx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only tried with headphones so far Very Happy

But thanks a lot for the many responses:)

I dream of a workstation that has a DAW/Vst like sound quality and a less fiddly hardware interface - but perhaps thatīs simply to much to ask in 2017 ??

Touching my ipad or the upcomming MPC live makes me think they do not put up to date touch tech in the Kronos and when Iīm looking at the GB available for samples I am hoping that Korg could move into Ivory teritory but to my ears that is somehow not the case.

I would be over the moon with a version that had better pianos and a 2017 touch responsive interface and especially some more touch friendly software with big knops and less clutter. To me the software does not look optimised for finger touch -hence many people need a stylus to program the Kronos...

Very Happy
NormC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not an iPad type capacitive screen. It is a resistive touch screen. It is single touch only with no gesture support. That is why some people use a stylus. You must be more deliberate with your touch but when it is calibrated it works fine. I stopped using the stylus once I got used to it. The Pianos are very good and hard to beat in full stereo but you will need some mono ones to punch through the mix in some performance situations.
xmortenx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lunaluna wrote:
I tried to love the Yamaha MotifXF to compliment the Kronos but Just couldn't so I ended up getting a second Kronos . It may not be the best in every category but it is the best over-all Keyboard out there imho.

Thatīs also my feelings - the others are often even worse. But still - I just feel that Kronos with the touch interface and huge GB should be better than the felling I get from it considering we are in 2017. Hardware workstations and also the Kronos somehow always feel 5 to 7 years behind the current music tech point..

I guess I just want more Very Happy But perhaps it does just not exist Shocked
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardware workstations will always be 5 to 7 years behind the current music tech point, if not much more. But this only goes if you have the luxury to compare against a modern computer, high quality interface and controller, loads of current software and no problem navigating a multitude of different plugin interfaces. Not to mention that in a live situation it's often not even an option.

There is simply no way any hardware workstation manufacturer can take current state of the art hardware AND write a super stable custom platform for it, AND get it out to market before it's years behind the most current general purpose computer hardware.

I use both depending on the situation. I almost never use my Kronos in the studio but in a live situation it's really hard to beat without bringing four times as much stuff (adding complexity I don't want).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: