Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setup other synths from Kross Favorites

View previous topic :: View next topic  
six_feet_under

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Setup other synths from Kross Favorites Reply with quote

Can the Kross send ControlChange(CC) Midi to other keyboards, so in a Live situation, with the selection of a Kross Favorites button, it programs other midi-enabled keyboards? Im currently trying to set Yamaha MX-61 Performances with MIDI Control Change signals.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I would say no or not easily.

The idea is that you store your favorite patches simply in your Yamaha and note down the bank and program number where you store it on the Yamaha. Then you create a combi on the Kross. You can then set up one of the tracks to send the bank and program change to the Yamaha as soon as it is selected. This combination can then be stored under a favourite button.

The difficult way is to use the sequencer and edit a track to add CC events. This takes time to tweak each event. Once done, you need to store the song (!) on a SD card in the Kross. At start up of the board you need to load the songs from the SD card. Select the right one an 'play' it in order to make the Kross to send all the CC messages.

The second, a bit less but still difficult way. It is also using the sequencer and the songs, but instead of manually edit all the CC events, you do a SysEx dump of your program on the Yamaha, which you record on the Kross. When the song on the Kross is played back, it will send the SysEx to your Yamaha which gets reconfigured... (At least if the Yamaha has a decent SysEx implementation.)

Have fun.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpAmp wrote:
Hi,

I would say no or not easily.

The idea is that you store your favorite patches simply in your Yamaha and note down the bank and program number where you store it on the Yamaha. Then you create a combi on the Kross. You can then set up one of the tracks to send the bank and program change to the Yamaha as soon as it is selected. This combination can then be stored under a favourite button.

It's funny that you start by saying "no or not easily" and then proceed to do a pretty good job at explaining how to do it pretty easily. Wink Right, if you're trying to change patches on another keyboard, just create Combis that contain those MIDI Program Change commands (using EXT or EX2), then you can assign those Combis to Favorites, as the OP requested. Should work...
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way is to use a supplementary controller, route it in MIDI along with the Kross, and then record the CC tweaks into the Kross's sequencer.

I did this using the Behringer BCR2000, the KORG Kross, and half a dozen Volcas.

The Kross's MIDI Out went to the BCR2000, The BCR2000's MIDI Out B went back to the Kross (configured as out, not through) while the MIDI Out A went to the MIDI splitter for the Volcas. This way, the Kross recorded all the MIDI CCs, and I could hear the results.

Afterwards, I could disconnect the BCR2000, and replicate all the results for all my Volcas just by playing the sequence in the Kross.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is some confusion about what the OP is trying to do.

If he is trying to program Kross Favorite buttons to select different sounds on his second attached keyboard (either alone, or in conjunction with other sound changes on the Kross itself), then there's no need to get the sequencer function involved at all. However, as mentioned, this involves the use of Program Change parameters... not the "ControlChange(CC)" parameters he referred to in the original post. If for some reason he actually needs to send CC (and not merely Program Changes) from his Kross to his Yamaha, yeah, that's more complicated, and would get the sequencer involved. Particularly since this is for a live situation, I'm not sure what the goal is here or the best way to accomplish it. So some more clarification on exactly what the OP is trying to do might be helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: