Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Behringer Model D announced
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
Lightweight stage rig. The gig is 150 miles away, everything needs to go on the van, then get set up, and played, and broken down, then put back in the van and unpacked at home base.

Seriously? The distance dictates how heavy the rig can be? What a fool I was- I gigged using a Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Arp 2600, RMI Electric Piano and Shure Vocalmaster PA for years in the 70's. Combined weight there was probably 800-900 pounds, and used them regardless of where we played. in the 80's I used a Prophet-10 Yamaha KX-88, M1, and D-50 with rack. Combined weight probably 400 pounds. Even today- I still have the KX, I also have a KX76 (50-something pounds) and all the rest of my gear, which probably goes well over a ton.

I never knew that talent and the sounds you needed were now restricted by weight. I guess that leaves out the Kronos 88, the Roland Fantom 88, a Motif/Montage 88 from gigging musicians, as Millennials today will not risk a rupture picking something like those up.

Or, more likely people have become a bunch or weak girly-men who are too lazy to use what's needed, regardless of the weight.

You want to play keyboards, then there are rules- you want to be a jazz pianist that's self-contained, you'll need a vehicle that can transport a keyboard and sound reinforcement that's large enough; you want a weighted action, you need a keyboard that will weigh more; you want to be a rock musician, you're going to need more than one keyboard, and that mean a bigger vehicle. Once that bigger vehicle is in the picture, size of the equipment no longer matters. (Except to the groupies, after the gig.)

..Joe

Oh, if the stage is too small, I'd fire your manager. He/she's too stupid to include a rider in your contract for what the band needs to play. Same for poor AC, a private place to change, and load-in/load-out access.

Last edited by Joe Gerardi on Mon May 01, 2017 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcoulter wrote:

My wife doesn't need to know, does she?

for 400 bucks? Rolling Eyes

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:

Seriously? The distance dictates how heavy the rig can be?

I never knew that talent and the sounds you needed were now restricted by weight. I guess that leaves out the Kronos 88, the Roland Fantom 88, a Motif/Montage 88 from gigging musicians, as Millennials today will not risk a rupture picking something like those up.

OK, I can only assume that you're missing the point so utterly by deliberate action to point out how sloppy I was in expressing myself.

For my penance, I will spell it all out, so that Joe Gerardi feels better.

It is entirely possible to gig with a lot of mass to haul. Five tons? Twenty tons? Five hundred tons? All possible.

It is even possible to ameliorate the situation with tools such as dollies and pallet jacks, or machinery such as forklifts and cranes.

However, that does not make mass a benefit in and of itself, and in fact it tends to increase complexity, transport costs and the labour involved in getting things done. It increases the risk of damage and injury, as well as constraining the kinds of venues and environments in which one can play. Lighter, smaller equipment is easier to transport, cheaper to transport and less likely to cause harm to people or property if dropped or incautiously handled.

In general, other things being equal, if offered two equivalent devices, I will go for the smaller footprint first, and the lighter device next.

I apologise for my earlier lack of clarity, and hope that this explanation helps you understand how I could see miniaturisation being beneficial to the gigging musician. I also stand in solemn awe of your knotted thews and stentorian feats, so far beyond my own tender development and effete capacities.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, and I wasn't targeting you specifically. I'm an old fart, and if that's the trend among younger musicians today, then I was simply gobsmacked that people would base decisions of their sounds based on weight/distance. In other words, the sounds they use don't matter- the weight and the distance they have to travel does...

Kinda like a guitarist stating that 6 strings are too complicated to play, so he will only put 3 on the guitar.

..Joe
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
In other words, the sounds they use don't matter- the weight and the distance they have to travel does...

..Joe

I have a close friend who's awful for this. The very first thing he does when checking out any new gear is to look at it's weight. If it's light weight with a good spec written on paper, he's probably going to buy it.

I have lost track of how much money he has wasted on doing this. It's nearly always with Amps and Speakers he gets screwed. He must have gone through 4 complete rigs in the last 3 years alone.

He's even worse with Keyboards. The amount of junk he buys just because they are handy and portable is insane.

Maybe that's why manufactures make them. Maybe they have high sales and a short life.

Regards
Sharp.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
No, and I wasn't targeting you specifically. I'm an old fart, and if that's the trend among younger musicians today, then I was simply gobsmacked that people would base decisions of their sounds based on weight/distance. In other words, the sounds they use don't matter- the weight and the distance they have to travel does...

I'm no spring chicken myself, as it turns out, and my gigging rig hovers around perhaps 200lbs. That includes the weight of cases that I've constructed for my stuff. MDF and 2x4 trays contain my desktop synths and effects units and make them easy to transport and protect. Redneck, I know, but functional.

Incidentally, I'm not doctrinaire about the situation at all. My Krome and Kross both have full sized keys, but I'm quite content to put my Volcas through effects pedals and get some pretty awesome sounds out of them that way.

It's not quite modular, but it's very flexible indeed. If I had taken the CV plunge, I'd probably be happy to buy as many Behringer Ds as I could fit into the cost frame of a Moog D, and then intermodulate them all to get really wild sounds - but the world of CV is just a huge money pit, and I can't possibly justify that expense at this stage.
fcoulter

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
Kinda like a guitarist stating that 6 strings are too complicated to play, so he will only put 3 on the guitar.

..Joe

How about four?

https://jet.com/product/detail/2d069c3c3c804001a07eda8639d80362?jcmp=pla:ggl:NJ_dur_Gen_Arts__Crafts__Hobbies_a1:Arts__Crafts__Hobbies_Musical_Instruments_Folk__World_Instruments_a1:na:PLA_785913117_40281978199_pla-292791743431:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An electric Uke- that follows violin strings voicing G-D-A-E, not guitar.

..Joe
chilly7
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceman3 wrote:
$400?
HA HA HA!
Take that!
MOOG, DAVE SMITH, and all those other super overpriced analogue synth makers.

I am sorry admins of this site but i cannot stand such damp and evil comments.

There is no magic in this world unless there are some exceptions.

If they give you such a small price they must have compromised something.
Either on product, or on unresponsible treat to our ecology and nature or they make it in China or other poor countries where slavery is basically is legal. People there are treated worse then animals and they are treaded basically as slaves and get a very little money of their insane work.

I would by Moog or other similar companies just for a reason they tread their employers as humans.
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chilly7,
I am evil for knowing analogue synths are overpriced?
MOOG may treat employes good, but those moogs are overpriced highway robbery.
If that offends you, tuff SH**!
My point wasnt to glorify chinese made stuff, or to cater to your fragile senseabilitys,
but to say that in my opinion, most analogue synths are way overpriced.
For you to say my comments are evil, really reveals that you are a crybaby.
Grow the hell up!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting way out of hand. I think neither you nor Moog nor Behringer are evil. The worst that could be said about those companies is that they're amoral. Just like most companies, they manage to exist because they make more money than they spend. The people who work there have plenty of personal worries. Some of them may volunteer in Africa over the summer, spend lots on charity or run satanic covens in their spare time. None of us know and it has nothing to do with the synths they make. Everyone can spend their money as they see fit. But this board is for Korg enthusiasts to talk about musical instruments. Politics are expressly forbidden. Take a step back and make some music.
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish a member of this forum would not make personal attacks on me, by calling me evil.
Im no saint, but evil?
chilly7 is apparently a very young unlearned person.
I know my response was harsh, but i felt the need to enlighten.

I agree that politics should not be on a forum like this.
I hope noone took my comments that way.
I will clarify that, i simply feel that most analogue synthesizers are way overpriced.
Just my opinion.
If someone likes MOOG or whatever analogue synth, then for them they are worth the money.
But, for me i cannot help but feel like a MOOG or other really expensive analogue synth isnt worth the money.
Regardless of the morel implications, the new BEHRINGER synths are priced more to what a 49 key 12 voice analogue should cost.
Again this is just my opinion.

Last edited by spaceman3 on Fri May 05, 2017 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't always agree with Chilly but in this case i don't think he was referring to you but I could be wrong. I read it to mean the people using cheap Chinnese labor and or unsafe manufacturing processes killing off the environment.
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chilly7 said my comments were damp and evil.
Its right there in his post.
He was refereing directly to me.
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are rules here against personal attacks.
I think if someone said another member is evil, thats about as shi*** of a character attack as you can get.
Its a good thing i am not an administrator, cause i would give chilly7 a stern warning about his bizzare, judgemental behaviour.
And if he kept calling any members evil, he would be cut from this forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: