Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Behringer Model D announced
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadwave wrote:
amit wrote:

it's be interesting to see given this price, someone come up with a 3-4 voice synth based off these and some clever arduino/rpi midi,voice allocator engine.

It can already be done (very basically) with a PIC based 4-voice MIDI>CV converter - Controlling 4 modules via one knobby interface would be a bit of a head scratcher, but it could be achievable.

Please stop enticing me to spend more money than I have - I'll wait until my next bout of Hypomania Very Happy

It's just a matter of time Wink
Once bitten with DIY bug, there's only so much one can resist... Very Happy
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching a vid comparing the Karp to an original Moog. Makes me wonder if I really need to new Behringer D. I liked the Karp better and already have one. Because of the step seguencer in the Monologue I may go that route for now and wait and see how the BD pans out once released. I generally do not buy new products simply because I don't like being the first to experience any issues. The only exception of the Antelope Audio Zen Tour. I snagged one of out of Sweetwaters first shipment when they came out, no regrets. I have had some frustrating experiences with newly released items in the past.i love the last few years because of all the tastee reasonably priced analog gear coming out.

Edited because SanderXpander noticed an auto correct spelling error. Not Karl, it should read Karp for Korg's Arp Odyssey.

Last edited by Bertotti on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a Karl?
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
What's a Karl?

I corrected the autocorrect. I should have paid closer attention. Thanks!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh ok! I somehow didn't make the connection since the comparison was with a Moog Smile
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Ahhh ok! I somehow didn't make the connection since the comparison was with a Moog Smile

Certainly no apples to apples comparison but financially it is a good thing to look at. Cost to sound to features, I think is a valid consideration. A lot of people looking for Moog will give it a thought and listen but in the sub 500$ range a lot of people are just looking for something that sounds good and delivers on that and features at a price point.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to say - I love that track by Firechild exclusively using the "D". His web site and youtube channel are ver interesting too - his collection of synthesizers is mouthwatering' while he really has "nailed" how to compose 3-minute synth tracks.

I've checked him out on Spotify too - loads of albums. If only he'd dissociate himself from the likes of Jarre, and compose some longer tracks for those albums, I believe he'd have massive appeal.

But - the track he did on the Behringer "D" is _very, very_ good indeed.

I loath the the way Behringer have tried to undermine Moog as a company in there promotion of the "D" - there was just no need for that sort of aggression - but there's no denying how strong the "D" sounds.

There's a set of tests on-line too that do an "A-B" comparison with a Minimooog, and they do sound closer than previous demos sounded; though the consensus is that it's not as strong in the bass end and the filter characteristics are not identical either; but it is a very solid sounding device - no denying that.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D vs D Behringer D vs MiniMoog D
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds extremely credible to me.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:

That's pretty damn convincing.

Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetwater Behringer Model D video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6bauM2Yc0w&feature=em-uploademail
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! How much is the street price of this thing again????

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EJ2 wrote:
Damn! How much is the street price of this thing again????

Supposed to be prices at $299 but perhaps even less at street prices?
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am waiting it to show up already. does not seem to be available for pre order yet. i'd get one if its available before this october.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Bertotti wrote:

That's pretty damn convincing.

I realise I'm opening up a can of worms on this - and just to start with - I do think the "D" is a very strong sounding synth (and my overwhelming "Beef" with Behringer is their misrepresentation / undermining of Moog while promoting the "D" - shameful in my opinion) - but - on addressing the specific question as to whether the "D" sounds like a Minimoog - while those tests are superficially convincing, they are by no means definitive; and people buying a "D" should in no way think they'll end up with a Minimog on the cheap - they won't!

This is what I mean:

1. You could take a wide range of synths and play raw waverforms and filter cutoff movements over 3-4 octaves and they would sound very similar. I can make my Korg MonoPoly sound exceedingly similar to these tests. I'm convinced I could even get my CS40M to sound quite similar - IF tested in this sort of 'raw' way.

2. They are not _strict_ A-B comparison tests - you'd need a 'scope to do that level of testing, legitimately.

3. It really does also take some performances by seasoned Minimoog players like Rick Wakeman for example, to fully demonstrate why a Minimoog is so good - most of us couldn't - and certainly this demo illustrates nothing in this regard.

So to re-emphasise - this is a very good sounding synth - but - I can hear sufficient differences between his Minimoog and the "D" in the bass end and filter character to indicate they are not the same - and that the "D" doesn't sound like a classic Moog. And - if you listen to the other demos out there - and in particular the track by "Firechild" - you'll hear that, as strong as it is - it doesn't sound, in any way, like a Minimoog.

So again - please read what I'm saying here fully - I'm not saying the "D" isn't good - quite the opposite I'm saying it is _very_ good - but - there tests are not particularly legitimate, and all of the "in use" demos I've heard suggest this does not, in practice, sound like a Minimoog.

I realise that doesn't matter to many - I'm only addressing the specific issue on whether it sounds like a Minimoog in reality, for those who may be buying it thinking they'll get a Minimoog on the cheap. Nothing heard on line suggest the "D" sound very close to a Minimoog. By comparison, both Arturia's MiniV and NI Monark DO sound very like a Minimoog - and closer than the "D". In fact - Monark is staggeringly close!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: