Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing Out ---Which PA?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fjs714

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Playing Out ---Which PA? Reply with quote

Hi Fellas,
Look Out retirement homes and small restaurants----here I come. I have a Pa4x and want to buy the best sounding PA with my tax refund. Two singers and myself.
I've narrowed it down to three:
RCF Evox 8 V2
Maui 28 G2
Bose L1 Model 2 with B2
If any of you are using any of these three----would you buy it again?
Thanks Frank
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not the answer you are looking for here so hope you don't mind me asking... but have you tried yamaha "DSR" line? for vocals and the PA4X they are exceptionally good a friend of mine has the DSR 112 which I have used recently to test after trying many other makes and lines out there and I am now considering the DSR 115 and in both instances I have and will use a Allen & Heath Zed mixer, hope this has not confused your inquiry here😊
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used most everything. I currently use two LD Systems Maui 5 units. I have stereo, and there is always a backup in place should one fail. I play about five nights a week, and have for MANY years.
I believe they sound better than the Bose Compacts. They also have more inputs, e.q., and Bluetooth. And they are about half the price of the Bose Compacts, which I previously used for several years.
I find the full-size Bose L1 is serious overkill for small venues. I can play up to 150 people with my setup without straining it at all.
I still have 2 Bose L1 and sub systems, but haven't had occasion to use them in several years. Last time I used them was for an outdoor event with about 1,000 people! I probably will never do such an event again! Smile
Another fairly inexpensive system that is really great for small venues is Lucas Nano 300. You can do stereo with one unit, or use two for added volume if ever necessary. I also have two of them and use them when I need to be set up in two venues the same day, when moving everything isn't an option.
Don
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing out with (2) Maui 28's for two years and they are easy to move, versatile, sound great, and affordable. I own the originals without the Bluetooth, but I added a BT receiver to my mixer and can now use Pandora for break music.

I did a 500 person NYE gig in an auditorium with the Maui's and they handled it amazingly well. Even with 4 singers, I do not need monitors. I does small venues equally as well. I have never gone past 3/4 volume with these things and they have NEVER over heated.

They put out just enough bottom end and have tons of MID and Highs.

I love em. Highly Recommended
Stilli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing Out ---Which PA? Reply with quote

fjs714 wrote:
Hi Fellas,
Look Out retirement homes and small restaurants----here I come. I have a Pa4x and want to buy the best sounding PA with my tax refund. Two singers and myself.
I've narrowed it down to three:
RCF Evox 8 V2
Maui 28 G2
Bose L1 Model 2 with B2
If any of you are using any of these three----would you buy it again?
Thanks Frank

I have the Bose L1m2 with B2, in fact I have two of them but generally only use one for most of my work. They are powerful enough to cope with larger gigs if necessary and I have found nothing that I prefer to date.

What you do have to bear in mind with small venues where there is restricted space this format of speaker (line array with power stand and sub) can be a little difficult to place ideally and they won't sound good stuck in a corner, I have always managed to overcome this problem but it would be worse if you wish to go stereo and have to use two of them.
Korg PA4X, Kawai MPIISE, Ketron SD4, Roland Integra 7, Motu Midi Express XT, Motu Audio Express, Cubase 9.5 Pro, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate (Collectors), Omnisphere, TC-Helicon Voicelive 3, Bose L1m2 (x2) + B2 (x2)
Chuck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use Bose L1 Model II with B2 subs. I connect them to the Bose T1 mixer using the dual mono set up. No monitors required. Always get kudos from my audiences and probably won't change.
Old fingers
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Bose L1 M2 user here. I am using the B1's (I have 2 B1's, but rarely use the second except for large venues). Like Chuck , I use the T1 mixer, and the sound is bright and incredible.

Something to think about - the Pa4X has ability to send balanced audio output (TRS jack) and the Bose L1 base unit and/or the T1 mixer can accept balanced signal. Now that I finally understand the difference - after all these years - between balanced and unbalanced, I would not buy amplifier gear that did not accept a balanced signal.

Some users who switch from B1's to B2's have said that while the B2's have a little more punch, it is not enough to compensate for the ease of handling of the B1's.

There is a great Bose forum at https://www.bosepro.community/g/portable if you want more info.
Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
Chuck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely right about the B2 vs B1's. If I had it to do over again, I would have stayed with the 4 B1's instead of the 2 B2's. Ease of handling far out weighs the extra boost.
Old fingers
fjs714

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys you're really terrific
keyboard
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonM wrote:
I have used most everything. I currently use two LD Systems Maui 5 units. I have stereo, and there is always a backup in place should one fail. I play about five nights a week, and have for MANY years.
I believe they sound better than the Bose Compacts. They also have more inputs, e.q., and Bluetooth. And they are about half the price of the Bose Compacts, which I previously used for several years.
I find the full-size Bose L1 is serious overkill for small venues. I can play up to 150 people with my setup without straining it at all.
I still have 2 Bose L1 and sub systems, but haven't had occasion to use them in several years. Last time I used them was for an outdoor event with about 1,000 people! I probably will never do such an event again! Smile
Another fairly inexpensive system that is really great for small venues is Lucas Nano 300. You can do stereo with one unit, or use two for added volume if ever necessary. I also have two of them and use them when I need to be set up in two venues the same day, when moving everything isn't an option.
Don

+1000 Great advice !
guitpic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had and used Bose in the past. Switched to a JBL Eon One...very impressed with our unit.

A lot depends on crowd/room size and inputs needed. Retirement homes, parties, and occasionally eating establishments are our main gigs.
JBL Eon One
Space Station V.3
DXR10
stephenm52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonM wrote:
I have used most everything. I currently use two LD Systems Maui 5 units.

Don

I still have a Bose Compact but about a year ago added the Maui 5 unit. It's great having the extra inputs and Bluetooth is a bonus. Recently we did an A/B test with another Korg forum member. Both of us chose the Maui 5 over the Bose compact for quality of sound.
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Friends

Some month ago, i sell my Bose l2, because i see another option, a bit less portable but without any doubt better about sounding for different gigs, and less expensive than Bose and LD.-
I bought a pair of FBT Xlite 12 and one unit JBL 1860 (subwoofer 1Cool, it sounds impressive, cristal clear a with enough power.-
Chekc it and listen before buying.-
With regards.
Eduardo
newkorgguy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still kickin with PRX712 tops and PRX718XLF subs.
Presonus 1602 for mixer
Chichinox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one Bose L1 and never played more than half volume. In small-medium rooms stereo is not so important, otherwisa you would need 2 of them. Theay are extremely handy, light and good sounding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: