Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How have you set up your gear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: How have you set up your gear Reply with quote

I am setting up my own little studio corner. I have several synths and drums guitars etc. I am using an Antelope Audio Zen Tour and a mac book pro, several mice. i have no clue if there is a best way to integrate it all or not? I have only every used one piece at a time I would like to have things a bit more permanent, the problem is sometimes I want to switch things up maybe have the minitaur with the minilogue or arp with the moog. So many possibilities is there any good place to start? I think i would learn is I know how you approach your little home recording corner so any advice or idea on how you have done it would be nice. thanks!
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Zen Tour box looks like a nice little interface.
I'd recommend a mixing console next. If don't mind mixing everything down to four channels before going into the computer for recording that is. Otherwise an second audio interface with a higher input count, but that's a bit silly.

I don't actually use computers for music (I might have to put that phrase into permanent clipboard) but have a bit of a thing for trying to record each instrument to it's own track. Getting to that point is not easy or cheap in any realm. I have two 16ch mixers running into two 8trk recorders and still need to compromise on the "1trk/channel" ethic.

That said, I started on a 4trk cassette recorder and learnt a lot about mixing by needing to mix 16ch's down to four and the eq'ing required to pull that off successfully. In fact I think I need to go back to that for awhile to remind me how to eq well!

Getting an 8-12 channel mixing desk will have you covered for the instruments you currently own. I will advise against the Yamaha compact mixers such as their MG series. They are quite low quality for the money you pay. I've had two of them and ended up going back to Behringer as at that price point, they sound better, quieter, don't leak as badly and are more suited to running external fx. That is if you were considering the Yamaha's. There are better sounding consoles than the Behringers, but you do pay way more for them.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar set up.to Megamarkd.
I think the important thing is to decide what you have infront of you between the speakers and what's on your left & right.
If you mix mainly in the box then comp,mouse and any extra monitor centre.Then there is room for one keyboard and maybe some extra gear you have broke out to work with at that mo.
I replace comp with large 01v digi Yamaha mixer and an 8 track underneath.(I'm still happy recording instant jams to 2 track stereo as this is quickest for capturing vibes for later remix).
Then on my left I have a few synths plugged into an iCM4+ for useful master and sync duties.
On my right I have a dj mixer and decks. But this is also an effects bus as both mixers are fired at each other and this dj mixer has 6 fx units on its pair of outputs (4 Kaoss pads plus 2 reverb) and I often set up feedback loops and sampling between both desks.
The most important thing for me is speed to record. How quick can I record. So yes ,for you you may want to consider grouping your stuff via a small mixer into your interface and have that mixer off to one side.
I use a cd burner deck most because its remote control and its like operating an old tape cassette deck - hit record and record my intire two mixers straight to two track.Its instant and receives a dithered 24bit signal down to 16 no problem from the 01v.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I already have an MG 10 from Yamaha paid arond 70$ for it many many years ago before I had my first synth. I use it to route different audio devices for listening along with my Daw while playing my guitar it was I nexpensive for what I was doing. I never tried it before an audio interface, actually it was my workaround to buying a cheap audio interface. A few years later I added a presonus fire but it never played well with my Mac. I will try the MG into the Zen Tour and see how it goes. At the very least it gives me some immediate options, my playing isn't good enough that I'm to worried about its quality, at the moment, if it seems to work out I will look at a replacement. Either adding more inputs to the Zen which is possible with another device or a better mixer. I had a thread about patch bays but even that decision seems difficult. There are inexpensive ones and quite expensive ones. I thought if I got the four inputs off the back of the Zen in a more permanent location I might be more inclined to leave some gear out and readily handy. I think what I need to dois just suck it up and find a better way to keep my gear nearby then maybe my needs will change/desire will change. Thanks!
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patchbays are your greatest tool! It's how I can have so many instruments plugged in and ready to record. I have two PX2000's which I don't know how I lived without after I set them up. They are nice and clean and have a simple way to swap modes using a switch; no pulling them apart to turn a card upside down for half-normalised mode. The PX2000's are TS patchbays and I would like to get a PX3000 as they are TRS/balanced bays and would work for MIDI as well as being cheaty with doing stereo signals with one socket (just need to use insert cables for the connection from the instrument to the bay then again from the bay to the destination). Part of me says to pay the little bit more for a Samson with a similar switch for the modes, but for as much grief that Behringer receives, only some of it is deserved, with many of their products being quite good. My Ultragain ADA8200 sounds a hell of a lot more transparent than my Focusrite Octopre (yes it's a 17yr old pre, but the ADA8200 sounds better than the Octopre when it was new). You'd be hard pressed to find a review of their controllers that is not glowing also. The BCF/BCR2000's are still cited as the best MIDI controllers ever made.

edit

Spheric El, you have 4 KP3+'s? My god I thought I was carried away with my GAS.

I am on the constant hunt for any of those old Yammy workstations, or even just one with motorised faders. Just want the faders, don't care about the recording due to the Zoom factor. Every time one of the suitable desks show up on the 'bay or the 'tree, I haven't the money. There is a Roland VM-C7100 with the 10in/8out interface going right as I type, at a price I could afford, if I didn't have to buy a new phone today. Bloody stupid things. Don't even have a 1/4" output, always bloody TRS stereo. So unpro-audio. Wink
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two kp3s with two kp minis strapped to their outputs.
Multi kaoss are really nice when you start performing with the effects multitapping.Also 8sample banks-nice.
The 01v is nice ,with sidechain dynamics on every channel.The digi eq is old and weak on mine -the 96 version will be better. Ok for cuts and filters ,poor at gain. Analog or kaoss are better eq.
The beringer x18 iPad controlled digi desk seems great value. My friend runs his PA via one.great mobile control. Tons of features.
The one real downside of my digit desk is the group switches are hiden under a page.no buttons.I must stick with one over analog coz of pure power,ie outputs,adat optical,compressors and yes the recall and midi control.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mastering & Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: