Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Purchase another Korg Kross???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Purchase another Korg Kross??? Reply with quote

Good morning, all Smile

I have a Korg Kross 61 (along with lots of other keyboards, many of them Korg), and am considering getting another Kross; the Kross 88.

I have viewed just about every video I could find of substance on YouTube and otherwise on the Kross with regard to the hammer action and such.

The reason I am considering the Kross 88 is because I really want another weighted action board and am also considering the Yamaha MM8. I used to have one of these too and liked the action on it. In my collection, I have a Yamaha P95 that I use in my band and I love the action and sound of it.

With the above said, I think that the Kross 88 would be for my studio and solo live use rather than with the band. If I got the Kross 88, I could theoretically get rid of the Kross 61 since they are identical in function.

My solo stuff used to take 8 boards to recreate live, but now, with the Kross 61, I have created WAV files of my soundbeds, created a 'Favorite' for each song, play the song back from the Kross, and simply play over the top of the songs with the lead sounds I made on my Korg M50. It makes my rig substantially less complicated (when factoring in the PA system transport, etc...) to have just two boards. I also like the idea of having an 88 note keyboard to play piano on live during my live shows.

Any thoughts regarding the Kross 88 that I might have not considered?

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

No real extra's between the Kross 61 and 88.
Before you swap them, note that for the 88:
* there is still no aftertouch, velocity sensitivity is still there
* it has a natural weighted hammer action, but it is according to me not really like a piano action.

So if you swap them for the piano action I definitely would advice you try out such a board, before swapping.

Have fun
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it all boils down to actually playing one Smile

Unfortunately, I do not have access to a Kross 88 that I can play. The local music store does not have them in stock and will only order one if you buy it first. We do not live in a big city where the extra stock is readily available.

I know that we ask for a lot in a keyboard but with today's tech, getting a really good quality board for not much $$ is certainly possible.

I was fortunate when I got the Yamaha MM8 before because the local music store had one in stock. My only real issue with the MM8 was that it only had 32-note polyphony and I could drop notes pretty easily when doing runs on the keyboard.

I also used to have a Kawai MP5 and that had the best action of any board I had.

I was hoping that the action on the Kross 88 would be fairly close and be reliable. I'm not worried about the aftertouch, as I usually assign any modulation to the mod wheel anyway and I really do not need aftertouch for a piano sound.

Thank you for your input Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Dragan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kross 88 has a very nice key action, it's a compromise between synth action and real piano hammer action. Your mileage may vary, it's important you try it in reality before you buy it.

I use it as master keyboard for other synths and also for sequencing other instruments.
blorgsnarfer

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Getting a Korg Kross 88 to replace your Korg Kross 61 Reply with quote

Hi, I have a Korg Kross 88 and I really like the sounds and the touch. Like a lot of multi-, "synthy" players who started on piano, I don't mind that the Korg is a bit different from real pianos. As long as it's weighted, I get used to it and my playing doesn't suffer; in some respects, it's better. I believe the Kross 88 is a great stage instrument because getting sounds up and running quickly is pretty easily. That said, the lack of aftertouch is sometimes a problem, but remember, if you own another keyboard with aftertouch, the Korg will respond to it via MIDI (at least according to the manual; I haven't tested this personally). By the way, it seems like it's not polyphonic aftertouch, but the channel based flavor, which isn't quite as flexible. Rock on, dude; the Kross 88 will serve ya. I, too, am considering getting a Yamaha MM8, but it only has 32-note polyphony, which can be a problem if you are playing dense MIDI arrangements, which I tend to do. Yet the arpeggiator is cool. So there is my $.02
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: