Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Listening to your Muse,the Beauty of Song Creation/Finishing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Listening to your Muse,the Beauty of Song Creation/Finishing Reply with quote

This could be a wide range of discussion, which I think would be cool.

I noticed many of us Kronos song writers love the Kronos and the SEQ.

I think this topic might be related to the passion we feel.

When I refer to My Muse, this will help define the source behind creativity:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/oct/01/musicians-creative-research-muse

My Muse is a good friend. I am not under any pressure or deadlines to create, perform or finish a Song.

My Muse has been visiting me a long time. Possibly, started when I was 10 yrs old when I started plinking out notes and small chords on a cheap electric guitar. When I sat down at a piano some years later, the Muse said this is your instrument.

Now I am 64. I remember my Muse from way back. I think she remembers me Smile
And she continues to be my musical friend , striking at surprising times.

Perhaps, for some , music is work, relentless drills, band rehearsals, trying to grind out some money with their musical skill. If you are successful, I really admire you. You may have faced more obstacles than I can imagine.

I think its very important to pursue your musical dreams at any age. Plus you might have some goals that help you demonstrate your musical ambitions.
I have my tangible goals, but it would be great to hear about yours.

I don't find it easy or necessarily important to finish a song 100%, put it in a can, so to speak. To be more clear, I have several songs which are respectable, something to be satisfied with. Some are musical ' markers' ( or pictures) to what I felt ( or a collection of emotions) at that point in time, whether I was 35, 45 or 55. To finish a song at 98% is normal for me.

My Muse could visit me on that old Song, and say " make a new ending ". And WHAM. The new ending flows from the fingers.

I think Art Imitates Life. Life is full of obstacles, new challenges and in a tangible sense, we have to finish important matters in life, knock down every obstacle/meet the challenge in the path to getting something done.

But you don't know all the obstacles every time. You have to knock them down, one at a time, to feel them, to understand them. There will come a time, when you are satisfied, you have solved certain obstacles, and have a sense of completing that journey.

Until the next journey Smile

Thank your Muse.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right. There's been many a time after an already creative day, where new ideas and embellishments seem to flow naturally. Fabulous rock pieces, sumptuous soundtracks, orchestral masterpieces. Some manage to survive to the morning light, others long forgotten before dawn breaks.

Bitflipper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a good relationship with my Muse, even if she cannot always be summoned on demand and only shows up when she feels like it.

This concept of "finishing" a song, however, is alien to me. I don't think I've ever finished a song. I just eventually get bored with it and call it done.
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My muse sometimes comes to me at odd times.
When im mowing the grass.
When im half asleep in bed.
When im taking a drive with my girls.
I just never know when.
I keep a little digital voice recorder close to me so i can just LA LA LA the melody, or rhythm in my head, or say the words in my head.
Smile
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceman3 wrote:
My muse sometimes comes to me at odd times.
When im mowing the grass.
When im half asleep in bed.
When im taking a drive with my girls.
I just never know when.
I keep a little digital voice recorder close to me so i can just LA LA LA the melody, or rhythm in my head, or say the words in my head.
Smile

Thats cool to read. I have quite the yard, front and back. +100 different plants, ground cover, trees, bushes and grass. I completely enjoy taking care of it, fortunately. all the growth and color does appeal to me in a creative way.

I always have music rattling around in my head , it seems. Then when I am on the keys, the Muse reminds me to " try this, play that ".

its the coolest experience when it happens. Which is another reason why I rely on the SEQ. It captures what the Muse tells me Smile
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC.
Your post's are usually among my favorites.
Your subject matter is spot on in what you say.
Plus many of your post's spark very interesting conversations.
Keep doing what you do. Smile Cool
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceman3 wrote:
GregC.
Your post's are usually among my favorites.
Your subject matter is spot on in what you say.
Plus many of your post's spark very interesting conversations.
Keep doing what you do. Smile Cool

I am the lucky one. I have learned much from you and all the other helpful Kronos owners.

Us song writers are a special group, IMO. I think we can kick it around and have fun doing so.

Bottom line, the Kronos forum is awesome. The entire Korg forum is by far, the best (interactive ) keyboard and related topic forum going back to 2001 ( or further back). I also enjoy the global perspective and ongoing enthusiasm for the Kronos.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought to bump this. I think having some talent plus the Kronos is a dynamite
combination.

I am finding the Kronos an excellent pallet for new ideas, themes, song parts, entire songs, etc.

Do you consider yourself an artist ? Have you thought where creativity comes from ?

I think there are varying degrees of creative skill, and how one develops that.

I recently did a cover of a Sting song ( On Sound Cloud). He has been a major talent for some decades. 1 of my favorite CD's is his Soul Cages album from 1994.

Here is an interesting song writing interview with Sting:

http://www.miketuritzin.com/songwriting/2009/06/sting-the-police/
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creativity is a skill that has to be nurtured. Sure, some people have an easier time of it than others, but it can be learned. Or squashed.

The challenge in our world of self-made music is that we have to straddle both brain hemispheres. Half has to live in the free-form creative mind-swirl, the other half rooted in the practical application of technology.

It's a rare individual who can be in both worlds simultaneously. For the rest of us, we have to make a conscious switch.

This came to me as an epiphany many years ago, when I was tasked by my employer to conduct creative-thinking training classes. My participants were all computer technologists, so I was initially dubious. But after attending the train-the-trainer course, it didn't seem so impossible. Long story short, I was able to get all those analytical thinkers dreaming up wacky stuff like they were high. It was like a switch was toggled in their brains.

What I took away from that experience is that creative and analytical modes don't usually coexist simultaneously, that one or the other will be dominant at any given time.

When I compose music or write lyrics, the computer isn't involved. Often, I'm not even at a keyboard, but on an acoustic guitar just to distance myself further from technology. Or even just composing in my head while driving. When it comes time to record, I track everything before starting to mix, before even thinking about what needs compression and EQ or what reverb plugin I'll use. I only look at the computer screen long enough to verify that signal levels are reasonable. Basically avoiding any thought processes that might take me out of creative mode.

If that doesn't work, and I just can't help but think about technical stuff, then I stop and pull up a nearly-finished project that needs tweaking or remediation. The analytical mind wants what the analytical mind wants.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitflipper wrote:
Creativity is a skill that has to be nurtured. Sure, some people have an easier time of it than others, but it can be learned. Or squashed.

1) The challenge in our world of self-made music is that we have to straddle both brain hemispheres. Half has to live in the free-form creative mind-swirl, the other half rooted in the practical application of technology.

2)It's a rare individual who can be in both worlds simultaneously. For the rest of us, we have to make a conscious switch.

This came to me as an epiphany many years ago, when I was tasked by my employer to conduct creative-thinking training classes. My participants were all computer technologists, so I was initially dubious. But after attending the train-the-trainer course, it didn't seem so impossible. Long story short, I was able to get all those analytical thinkers dreaming up wacky stuff like they were high. It was like a switch was toggled in their brains.

3) What I took away from that experience is that creative and analytical modes don't usually coexist simultaneously, that one or the other will be dominant at any given time.

4)When I compose music or write lyrics, the computer isn't involved. Often, I'm not even at a keyboard, but on an acoustic guitar just to distance myself further from technology. Or even just composing in my head while driving. When it comes time to record, I track everything before starting to mix, before even thinking about what needs compression and EQ or what reverb plugin I'll use. I only look at the computer screen long enough to verify that signal levels are reasonable. Basically avoiding any thought processes that might take me out of creative mode.

If that doesn't work, and I just can't help but think about technical stuff, then I stop and pull up a nearly-finished project that needs tweaking or remediation. The analytical mind wants what the analytical mind wants.

very good post. I am glad u mentioned the impact of tech on music creation.

1) I see tech as an ' enabler ' of the creative process. And likely how I use tech is different than the way you and everyone else uses it.
I also spend a great deal of time with software apps smacking and stretching WAV files around. 99% with vocals and an occasional drum part.

2) After that grind, I am all over the Kronos SEQ, happily adding as many tracks as my Muse dictates. This creative process can take a week or more depending
on what the Muse is saying. During this time, various alternative parts are stewing. Half I discard and the other half find their place.

3) Maybe that statement needs to be clarified. I don't see ' co-exisitnce ' as a zero sum experience. Both are equally valid, while appearing opposite. Find your inner Zen.

4) I use the SEQ but we have similarities. As new creative parts rattle around upstairs, hit the fingers , then the keys , then its a question of what instrument to use with this new gem, or germ of creation.

Personal here, I like analysis and numbers . I made a business career utilizing the gifts. I think that may have formed a logical path to effectively use my creative side.

I have taken several Myers Briggs type indicator tests/surveys over the past few decades and the results have correlated to my experience.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[forum hiccup }
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3) Maybe that statement needs to be clarified. I don't see ' co-exisitnce ' as a zero sum experience. Both are equally valid, while appearing opposite. Find your inner Zen.

Clarification: when I said that creativity and analytic thinking don't co-exist, that was poor wording. What I meant was that we all embody both. However, one or the other will dominate at any given time, often dictated by the needs of the moment.

Most of us have to consciously "switch hats", as it were. De-essing a vocal is not the time to be creative. Conversely, choosing to use a doumbec in a blues number isn't something you'd glean from a technical manual.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for starting this discussion Greg.

I went to a "Creating Music" workshop several years ago and the instructor said "if you don't remember anything else from this session, please remember to always have something with you with which to capture your musical ideas - at least a tape recorder..."
she went on to say (and show us) that she always carried a melodica with her too.
She said ".... your best ideas and creativity will come when you least expect it - so treat it like the old Kodak slogan 'ALWAYS CARRY A CAMERA'...."

I'm an idiot because I don't do that but so often wished i did.

I am in the early stages of a fair amount of composing.... definitely gonna keep the Kronos OFF. By "OFF" i mean "ON" but not get carried away searching through its amazing and inspirational programs and combis for hours and get more focused on my musical ideas.

If I have one complaint about my Kronos is it that it is too amazing and I find it hard to "not" plough through its incredible offerings.
But now, having said that I have also had some great musical ideas purely from messing around with it........

Anyhow, I WILL try and focus more on what's in my head for a while.

Great topic

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Thanks for starting this discussion Greg.

I went to a "Creating Music" workshop several years ago and the instructor said "if you don't remember anything else from this session, please remember to always have something with you with which to capture your musical ideas - at least a tape recorder..."
she went on to say (and show us) that she always carried a melodica with her too.
She said ".... your best ideas and creativity will come when you least expect it - so treat it like the old Kodak slogan 'ALWAYS CARRY A CAMERA'...."

I'm an idiot because I don't do that but so often wished i did.

I am in the early stages of a fair amount of composing.... definitely gonna keep the Kronos OFF. By "OFF" i mean "ON" but not get carried away searching through its amazing and inspirational programs and combis for hours and get more focused on my musical ideas.

If I have one complaint about my Kronos is it that it is too amazing and I find it hard to "not" plough through its incredible offerings.
But now, having said that I have also had some great musical ideas purely from messing around with it........

Anyhow, I WILL try and focus more on what's in my head for a while.

Great topic

Pete Very Happy

Hi Pete, I like that melodica idea. If I can find one, I will keep it in my car.
( my wife will think I am a little crazy Smile)

Kronos is the main reason I can create Songs/lay down tracks . I think its a song writers best friend.

Distractions can get in the way. I keep the area around my Kronos neat, uncluttered.

I like simplicity. Less is more. I don't surround myself with gear because Kronos does it all. I know this is atypical of what we read here and on other forums.

Along the simple approach to song writing , I almost always start with an acoustic piano program or acoustic guitar . I make some noise , try out some chords and melody and draft a rough theme or 2. Then when I stumbled upon something new, I record it in the SEQ. New ideas are slippery for me. I don't trust my memory or scribbled notes the next day.

I think environment and time is important. I like to wake up early, make a strong cup of coffee , go thru all my finger exercises, then I go to work on song projects. I like mornings as they are quiet , no distractions, etc, etc . I also give myself plenty of time. Time schedules and pressure inhibit my creative process.
Some people thrive on schedules and strict deadlines. My Muse wants it all her way Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: