Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Application question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devnor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Application question Reply with quote

So I have this new assignment (I play bass guitar in this band) but there is one tune with arpeggiated synth bass (Stevie Nicks Stand Back) that I need to cover. I currently do not own a Kronos and I'm looking to buy soon.

My thought is I would like to be able to send a click to the drummer on an output then send the synth sound thru two another outputs (one to my bass amp and the other to FOH). During the same set, I want to be able to use some ambient synth sounds/samples but not have the Kronos output to my bass rig or drummer - only FOH. The bass signal comes out of a DI to FOH. I would use an AB switch to control what instrument goes to the bass rig. The bass rig is solely for onstage monitoring for this one tune.

Can output routing be freely assigned within a combi? For the click, I was thinking about using the sequencer. I'm assuming the arp would play along when the sequencer is running?

I have a concern about boot up time. If trim down the preload to just a few custom samples, does the boot time decrease?
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Routing is pretty versatile but my concern is your looking for an arp and the Kronos does not have a traditional Arp. Kronos has Karma, but I think you could use RPPR to make your baseline. I'm not sure if you could tweak Karma enough to get what you want but, maybe. Others here will know much better then I do.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Application question Reply with quote

Devnor wrote:
My thought is I would like to be able to send a click to the drummer on an output then send the synth sound thru two another outputs (one to my bass amp and the other to FOH). During the same set, I want to be able to use some ambient synth sounds/samples but not have the Kronos output to my bass rig or drummer - only FOH. The bass signal comes out of a DI to FOH. I would use an AB switch to control what instrument goes to the bass rig. The bass rig is solely for onstage monitoring for this one tune.

Can output routing be freely assigned within a combi? For the click, I was thinking about using the sequencer. I'm assuming the arp would play along when the sequencer is running?

I have a concern about boot up time. If trim down the preload to just a few custom samples, does the boot time decrease?

Boot time should not be an issue if you use a UPS as recommended. Wal-Mart has one that's light and affordable. The UPS will serve as a line conditioner and a safety net in case of any power interruptions, and will supply your keys, pedalboard, bass rig, and anything else you might have. The Kronos will be booted up early and once all night and ready to go way before you get all cables ran and everything else set up and sound checked, even if you open with the song.

Outputs can be routed as you need. The Combi will have a tempo you can program into it. You have 2 additional outputs besides the main L/R: one you'll use to send the drummer the click track and the other you'll use to send the sequenced synth bass line to your A/B box => bass rig.

The sequenced line is just pulsing 16th notes, no big deal, many ways to skin that cat without using a sequencer, even if you play the line live. I'd personally use an LFO as a volume gate sync'd to tempo. You'll want to duplicate this sound, so you can send one copy via an aux output to your bass rig and another copy out normally to send to the FOH.

Your other ambient synth sounds/samples you would just leave the defaults which are routed to main L/R.

Last edited by psionic311 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Application question Reply with quote

Nice song, by the way. Will have to bring it up as something different to play.
Devnor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only reason I mentioned the sequencer is I was unsure I could route the metronome to a chosen output. I need to play this live in case someone forgets their cue. I just started reading the manual so I'm not up to speed on RPPR or even Karma. The arp is really basic, the original recording used a Jupiter 8 arp.

I'm picking up my new Kronos 2 tomorrow.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can do it with a PolySix sound that would be easiest as it has a basic arp. You could use a metronome drum track and send that to the drummer. The whole thing could then be done on the program level.
Devnor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
If you can do it with a PolySix sound that would be easiest as it has a basic arp.

Thanks. RPPR looks the solution if I can't get the right sound in Polysix.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about the poly six arp! Nice!
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of great advice here. From a fellow bass/keyboard player, congratulations and best wishes on maximizing your new rig! (I went FRFR powered PA with Zoom B3 bass sim and keys into XR18, for minimal footprint but maximum quality and flexibility and portability).

Keep in mind that using a Combi for each of your Set List Slots, even if just one sound, offers you much more functionality live than using a single Program. Unless you're an expert synth programmer, you're going to get a lot more standardization and mileage out of layering and splitting sounds, using MIDI zones, and setting up your standard IFX/MFX/TFX routes rather than what a single Program has to offer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: