Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS LS keybed?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
engineerjoel

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: KRONOS LS keybed? Reply with quote

Does the new keybed for Kronos LS use the same keybed as the Krome 88 ??
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it. I read a review on the Sweetwater site that it DOES have aftertouch. Don't know how reliable that is. Thinking of trying this board myself.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the same keybed: the Krome 88 has a weighted hammer-action keybed, while the Kronos LS is semi-weighted...even so, the Krome 88 is lighter (about 32 lbs.) while the Kronos LS weighs 7 lbs more...well, the higher-end LS is probably built more substantially, etc., etc., and I'm sure the LS keybed is higher quality...anyone actually tried the LS keybed?

...and from the online Kronos Operation Guide: "Note that the KRONOS2-88LS responds to aftertouch data from MIDI, but its keyboard does not generate aftertouch."
timesnothing

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a chance to try the LS.
My plan was to keep my original kronos 88 upstairs in my music room and use the LS to mimic all the settings and be a lighter alternative to take out and about. The stairs have been killing me lately.
First impressions, lovely looking keyboard, wooden end cheeks, all the controls basically identical to my original kronos. I felt right at home.
Unfortunately trying the keyboard itself was a let down for me. At first the velocity curve was set at 4. I couldn't get enough light and shade, so I changed this to 3. This worked fine, although in my opinion the keyboard itself was far to light. It had the travel, but I was having to concentrate far to much on the velocity of each finger when playing a piano part. There's also a noticeable gap between the keys, that's not as noticeable as on the RH3 keyboard. The width of the keys must be smaller.
It looks like I will have to put up with the weight of my kronos. I prefer playing just the one keyboard and the 88 doesn't restrict me in anyway as regards to using splits and playing full piano parts.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drama1 wrote:
I doubt it. I read a review on the Sweetwater site that it DOES have aftertouch. Don't know how reliable that is. Thinking of trying this board myself.

It responds to aftertouch via MIDI. The keyboard itself does not transmit A/T to the synth engine.

..Joe
timesnothing

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to my previous post, in my opinion and this is subjective of course, the LS keyboard action isn't as good as the kronos 61 keybed. If only that keybed had been used for the LS, I would have definitely considered buying the board and it would have been a good compromise to use live rather than carrying my original korg kronos 88 about.
LaLaLand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timesnothing wrote:

Unfortunately trying the keyboard itself was a let down for me. At first the velocity curve was set at 4. I couldn't get enough light and shade, so I changed this to 3. This worked fine, although in my opinion the keyboard itself was far to light.

Try to keep it at vel. curve at 4, and change piano velocity intensity to +50. Much better results.
Jpharvey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who owns the LS and could give an opinion?
Would you compare the touch to the Kronos 61 or closer to the Krome? I want to order one but I can't try it in store to know how it feels like.
I would like the LS so its lighter to carry around but I don't want to have a light touch like an old synth. I do like a piano touch but I don't mind if it's faster, really something in between piano and a synth would be nice.
Anyone with an LS, how would you describe the feeling of the keys?
LaLaLand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could compare it with Kurz PC3k8 - LS had deeper travel and much easier to play. Yamaha Motif with synth keys has keys like soft levers, which should be proper synth keys i guess. Those aren’t comparable to LS. I can’t compare to your preference, because I didn’t have my hands on those yet.

LS has piano action keys. Have you ever park a car without power servo steering ? Well let’s say thats a regular piano weighted keyboard. LS has power servo steering! Very easy to press and follows your finger fast while releasing. I can’t say it’s good or bad, but I can certainly say it’s something you can get used to and enjoy hours of effortless playing after you adjust your preferable velocity response. I’m not a pianist, so I don’t care about “real feel”. From my own experience I can say I don’t wanna stop playing while practicing, because there’s no fatigue, and the phrase my wife hear most often when I finish is : -it’s gliding!

However, I don’t wanna argue with non-likers, it’s about personal taste after all.
Patozzi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller (http://www.midisolutions.com/prodped.htm) can be solution, when somebody really need to use aftertouch by playing Kronos LS?? Sure, it's by far not the same, but can be usefull... I personally don't use AT to much.
mrpanoff

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No model other than the LS with this bed?

What about the Vox Continental?
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an LS online and had it home for a week. I just couldn’t adjust to the semi-weighted action. The key throw seems shallow to me and I had a difficult time getting a consistent response at various dynamic levels. Some people on here have posted that they have one and love it. But none of us can tell you if you'll like it. At 39 pounds, it’s still heavy. I went with the regular 88. It’s not that much heavier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: