Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[EMX-1 / ESX-1] How to use Pattern Set?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DieterVDW

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: [EMX-1 / ESX-1] How to use Pattern Set? Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody has gotten the Pattern Set function to work on the EMX-1 (and ESX-1 too I guess).
The function does not seem to work as described in the manual.

I can select patches using the Pattern Set function without any problems, but this is kind of useless if you can't actually SAVE patches to a Pattern Set slot!

The manual says this:
Quote:

1. With playback stopped, hold down the Pattern Set key and press the step key to which you want to assign a pattern.
2. While holding down the Pattern Set key, use the dial to select the pattern number that you want to assign. To complete the assignment, release the Pattern Set key.
3. Continuing to hold down the Pattern Set key, press the Write key(the Write key will blink).
4. The display will ask "PtSetWr?" Use the dial to select "Yes" and press the Write key to save the data. If you decide to cancel, select"No" or press the STOP/CANCEL key

There are a few things wrong with this:
- If I hold the PS key and push a step key, the EMX immediately switches to that pattern. The PS key is not selected anymore then, even though I'm still pushing it.
- Steps 2 and 3 contradict eachother: in step 2 you have to "release to complete the assignment", and step 3 starts with "continuing to hold down the PS key" ... Urgh!

Anyway, I have found no combination of keys or holding down that works and allows me to save a pattern to a step key shortcut. Which would be awesome if I could get it working!

I'm assuming there are some EMX/ESX veterans here who have this all figured out and can help me? Please?

BTW the following part of the manual also seems incorrect:

Quote:
By holding down the shift key and pressing the Pattern Set key, you can "hold" the Pattern Set function (the key will blink). To defeat the "held" state, press the Pattern Set key once again (the key will go dark).

I can indeed "hold" the PS key, but as soon as I push a step key, the PS key is deselected. This does not align with what the manual says.
The manual describes the behaviour of my old EA-1 and ER-1 modules: if you "hold" the PS function, you can switch to different patterns using the step keys as much as you want, without ever having to touch the PS key again.
Would be nice if EMX also worked like this! Is this bug or am I doing something wrong?[/quote]
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing to do is make sure you save your pattern and know its location. Anytime after that, HOLD Pattern Set and PUSH a p-set slot key: you've got 16 per bank, left and right arrow buttons to shift bank, shown by the red LED. It'll switch to the pattern already set in that key's slot, but while holding down that pattern set button you can rotate the data wheel to select the pattern you want. While STILL HOLDING Pattern Set, hit write twice to save the selected pattern to the pattern set location.

After this, anytime you hold Pattern Set and push that 1-16 key in slot 1-8, it'll go to the pattern you've specified.
DieterVDW

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could SWEAR I already tried it this way. This is also the way I expect it to work.

Will try again this evening when I'm home, but pretty sure this doesn't work.

Any ideas why this wouldn't be working on my EMX?
Firmware version? Some setting? Hardware problem... ?

Edit: got home and it worked immediately as you described without any problems Laughing . Oh boy, should probably sleep more...

Thanks for the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: