Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stubborn problem syncing Volca Keys to PO-12

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Stubborn problem syncing Volca Keys to PO-12 Reply with quote

I've had the Keys for months, just got the PO-12. This is my first attempt at syncing anything, but I've done my research before posting this.

I'm setting up Keys as master, PO-12 as slave. Cable goes from sync out on Volca to left side jack of PO-12.

They sort of sync - I can simultaneously adjust the tempo of both devices from the Keys tempo knob, which says to me that the Keys CV pulse is talking and the PO-12 is listening.

But the Keys seems to lose a step every cycle compared to the PO-12. I know I need to start them simultaneously, that's not the problem.

I'm testing this by getting both units going, tweaking Keys tempo to make sure they're synced (such as it is), playing a blip on the Keys just as the PO-12 starts its sequence, then watching to see where that blip goes relative to the PO-12 sequence. Results are always the same - the Keys loses a step or so every cycle compared to PO-12.

I've researched similar syncing issues in this forum and elsewhere and I've tried everything:
- ensured volume on both not too high
- ensured tempo not too low
- changed Volca power supply from batteries to PSU
- checked Volca Sync Out Polarity
- checked I'm using a stereo cable
- set to SY2 on the PO-12 (also tried the other options)
- removed headphones from both units, listening via onboard speakers

This is very frustrating! I recognize that it's as likely to be a problem with the PO-12 as the Volca, and that the most likely source of the problem is that the problem lies with the human operator.

Any solutions?
MeneerJansen

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you press "Func" and "Play" (i.e. "Active step") on the V. Keys are all 16 steps active? Or are some steps skipped (i.e. not lit)? The Keys and the PO-12 both have 16 steps that sync quite nice om my Keys and PO-12 at setting "SY2" on the PO-12.

Good luck! Smile
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@MeneerJansen... that was it, thank you! Works great now. Human error again (secretly I'll blame manuals with insufficient detail).

The first step wasn't lit. That seems to be its default setting for some reason, I'll have to see if there's a way to change it.

I think I must have glossed over that feature when I first started on the Volca Keys and just never went back and learned it because I never saw the need.

What is the purpose of that feature anyways? Playing sequences in odd meters?
MeneerJansen

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know what Korg's intended purpose is. But I know what I use the feature of skipping steps for. I use it to make the 8 step sequence of "On the run" by Pink Floyd and the 4 step sequence of "I feel love" by Giorgio Moroder. Smile

See my playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLocjBs7gEETm77I9eHVqlZprJlnMLmbcQ

On the run:
https://youtu.be/XNomklKalqo?list=PLocjBs7gEETm77I9eHVqlZprJlnMLmbcQ

I feel love:
https://youtu.be/K9l6DGLpSec?list=PLocjBs7gEETm77I9eHVqlZprJlnMLmbcQ
jeftones

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

active step can be used for a few functions, as the previous poster stated one use is to make sequences that are of different lengths. the active step can also be used to make things more dynamic in a live performance by shortening sequences, skipping steps, looping a portion of the sequence.

the volcas will load up whatever sequence is saved in the first slot of the sequences. maybe there was an accidental save with the first step turned off. i keep the first sequence in all my volcas blank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: