Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

volca and rs 7000
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ammanuel

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: volca and rs 7000 Reply with quote

A little humble jam with the Volca FM, Keys, Sample and rs 7000

https://soundcloud.com/80mtech/house-ish-jam

thank you

Last edited by ammanuel on Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
ammanuel

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and LXR on drums...sorry
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sweet.

I do some similar things, but I have a pack of Volcas (Keys, Bass, 4* FM) and I sequence them with a Social Entropy Engine. Works like a charm.

It also sequences my Waldorf Blofeld, and for good measure a drumkit in my Kross. Hell of a performance sequencer.

Commencing shameless self-promotion

I'll be running that rig live this Saturday, 4PM in the Columbia City Theatre, in Seattle, as part of http://www.seaprogfest.org/ where you can hear a lot of much better musicians do their stuff, too. If you're going to be in the area, it's well worth a visit. It's an antidote to the Upstream/Bumbershoot kind of rock that people think of as the Seattle sound.
ammanuel

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Social Entropy is a great sequencer from what I saw of their demo and on youtube in a set-up.

Good luck on your event, I live way far away in the midwest.

Peace
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice dub house right there Ammanuel .Nice to hear what you are doing.
Certainly putting them Volcas to good use.Very nice. I like your chord stabs - expertly dubbed.
So you have a 7000 .I've heard good about them. That LXR also sounds nice .I guess it can do good synth sounds too?
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ammanuel wrote:
Social Entropy is a great sequencer from what I saw of their demo and on youtube in a set-up.

It is indeed! If you, or anyone you know, has a stack of Volcas to sequence, the Engine has my unqualified endorsement. It's about the size of two Volcas, with two MIDI outs, excellent timing, and enough live memory to contain an entire show (and you can save it all as sysex as well). Just grab a MIDI through box from Kenton, your mixer, and go do a show.
ammanuel

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spheric Thank you for the encouraging words. I am learning the RS the manual is so thick and tries ones patience. The Keys and RS are a pleasing pairing for the chords and "stabs" plus multitude of FXs...They do say its a great sequencer....I do dig the LXR for the bass like sound, With apt synthesis and choice of "racks" and it's step probability, and automation option it's a beast.

I really enjoyed the subtlety and lightness of your tracks...great balance btn the sample and OP.

Hi Koekepan..its a well designed sequencer for sure, and I was impressed by the snapshot options performers apply.
ammanuel

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spheric, the synth sound was from Volca FM (my fave after the Volca Keys) and RS ( Grand Piano and Honky Tonky Piano and Pads instruments) treated with varies filter and LFO settings)...
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.
I like the FM too ,jus a little more than the Keys. The keys has flux mode ,the FM warp mode.
Though I guess you are not using these ,but 7000 instead. Have you tried both seqs at once ,note info from 7000 ,motion seq automation from volca patterns...only set your volcas to odd number pattern length ,like 11 steps, for poly rhythmic modulation?
ammanuel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I have not. always eager to try new tips....I just recently got the rs just started going thru that massive manual. Can you elaborate on your suggestion?
ammanuel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the 7000 as master clock and so far I have not used it to send notes to the volcas ...
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok cool.
Use the sequencer on your 7000 to write patterns for your volcas, if that works for you. Like find three different midi channels on your 7000 that correspond with each volca. Get a jam going. Start the volcas with start/tempo msg from 7000 -but have empty patterns on volcas. Then record some knob movements into volcas ,like decay tweaks or delay feedback (gentle shifts) whatever.(Maybe leave filter freq for live tweaks). Then experiment with odd step lengths ,not 16 full steps. Maybe turn on different steps throughout song ,or just let unusual length relationships of steps (between each volca)evolve as they ride polyrhythms ,while keeping 16 step patterns on 7000.
You may prefer your volcas' seqencers - which is cool. They are nice and quick. But what is nice is to hit notes into say the VKeys from both its seq and a master seq (the 7000). Do a full riff of 16 steps from your 7000 ,then have one note on your Keys (for 1 step) with a pattern of say 10 (or 5) steps.
Then go for Poly ring mode for extra glitchiness.
Maybe try that last technique but the other way round -full pattern on volca seq and odd note set to odd length on 7000 (if it does this).
Good for drums too with varied step lengths for hats or snares while kik is solid 16.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your 7000 can send midi CCs then you can stick with programming notes off your Volcas and mod from your 7000.If your 7000 does unusual step lengths then your in business.
This is all hypothetical as I am assuming it can sequence external gear and is good at it. What you are doing sounds good already.
ammanuel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a jam going. Start the volcas with start/tempo msg from 7000 -but have empty patterns on volcas.

?....jam with empty patterns? don't I have to record notes send from 7000? I take it to start with empty pattern before notes from 7000, and then motion record/knob tweaking from the Volca..?
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The patterns should run without notes in them.Just an empty pattern, no notes but it still steps through (there is a clear pattern function on Vkeys iirc). You could record some notes though, like on your LXR have hi hats and kick pattern - then if your 7000 does shorter step length patterns - do a 12 step snare or percussion pattern from there.
Or with the Volca keys have an 11 step pattern with one note, then have some chords from your 7000 set to 16 (then try polyring mode).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: