Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

intro is louder when importing SMF

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickmostly

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: intro is louder when importing SMF Reply with quote

Hello:
Been workin hard to fix this...
Lately when I import an SMF the intro ends up way louder than the variations. When I play the smf as a midi file, or in my DAW this is not so and I have done nothing to alter the volume as I create the SMF.
I am using Cubase 6 to create smfs and its been going pretty good, but this keeps happening, more lately.
I have attempted adjusting the volume in: record/edit style/menu/style element track.. but this doesn't stick. I have the volume maxed in the variations and still...
I checked velocity and expression setting and it all looks fine..
Any Ideas??
This has me stumped.
Thanx Much
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've looked at all possible options....I would export the whole Style as a midi file and import it back into Cubase. Then, you can have a better look at all parameters on a bigger screen. You'll figure it out ...I still think it's got to do with Expression settings...even though you mentioned it.

By the way, you can't use the Volume fader to make volume adjustments in Style record mode. It has to be CC#10 (Expression) and of course the velocity values ...But Velocity doesn't just turn up the volume, it also makes the notes sound brighter as well.

Is this how you adjusted the expression controller?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ6sughqH4g

nickmostly

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: thanx sam Reply with quote

didn't know that about the volume fader, no wonder it don't work : ) I'm inclined to think its in the expression settings somewhere as well. As I listen back to other smfs I've created in cubase they also have louder intros, just not near so noticeable.
I've been lifting midi files off the net and cutting them up to create my smf files. I edit and go over them carefully in cubase and most the time it works fine.
I will do as you suggest and export so I can take a closer look, see whats happened maybe.
thanx again
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: thanx sam Reply with quote

nickmostly wrote:
didn't know that about the volume fader, no wonder it don't work : ) I'm inclined to think its in the expression settings somewhere as well...

That's the only volume controller in Style Record mode anyway, so yes that's probably what it is. Are you adding Expression values to the markers in Cubase?

Here's another video for DAW Pan/Expression editing :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZzs0HuQGWA

It will help you avoid issues like this for sure.

nickmostly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Very Helpful! Reply with quote

But pretty complex : )
I'm gettin it though..
I really didn't find out what was causing the intro problem. Went to CCs 7 & 11 checked for uniformity and put in markers at all points (intros, variations etc.) Still intro to loud. So I just cut the intro and pasted a similar part from one of the variations. Worked.
I'd still like to know the cause so I can prevent the problem rather than have to fix it.
I'm going to continue to dissect and learn how to use the controls in the videos.. that wasn't how I was approaching it
Thanx much!
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didn't get anywhere, feel free to send me the midi (Style export) file. I'll check it out...

nickmostly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Hello Sam Reply with quote

I gave up on this for a while as I have many projects. Still cant figure it out. I exported the SMF from the korg to take a look and still dont see anything that would make the intro louder. I noticed time signatures dont export, but thats irrelevant.
Its "Born to be Wild" I'm setting up for performance.
I wonder if it will do the same on your korg?

Say is there a site where people share their styles? I'd be glad to share mine if they are of use. The way I'm doin it may be different as I'm creating full performances going from intro to verse etc. Each variation contains a full verse, chorus, etc. not just a couple measures.
Thanx so much for your time, I will send the SMF
Nick
nickmostly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Ah hah! Reply with quote

Looks like it may be in the pan settings!
ewart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I think when in Edit Style mode & in the 'Save Style' menu there are also functions to 'Copy Sounds to all' and 'Copy Expressions to all'. If you use 'Copy expressions to all' it should set all the elements (intro, variations, etc) in the style to the same expression values.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

BR
Ewart
ewart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I think when in Edit Style mode & in the 'Save Style' menu there are also functions to 'Copy Sounds to all' and 'Copy Expressions to all'. If you use 'Copy expressions to all' it should set all the elements (intro, variations, etc) in the style to the same expression values.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

BR
Ewart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa600/Pa300 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: