Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Piano and Strings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mersip

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Piano and Strings Reply with quote

One of the combinations I use often is piano with strings. However, if you are wanting to play the piano chord, or the notes in the chord, more than once, the strings get louder and louder.

Is there some way to set it up so that the strings will activate when you first hit the chord, but will not 'reactivate' or layer on itself when you replay the piano notes?

In other words, if you had a strings section they would simply hold the notes / chords and the pianist would be able to play under them. Their volume would be constant.

Thanks for your help

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
PreSonus StudioLive AR16 mixer
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expression pedal?
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a setting for parts to be triggered at a certain velocity levels that may be worth exploring.
See Keyboard and Velocity Zones in the Parameter Guide.

A Sostenuto pedal can also be useful.
This works well with holding string chords and playing piano in a different keyboard zone.
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a combi I use frequently, and every time I replicate it on another keyboard I have to make the sustain adjustment on the strings accordingly.
You just have to untick the box for sustain in the controller tab for the channel which is assigned to the strings.

One of my "bread and butter" combis is a layer of piano with strings and choir. Both the strings and choir are set to not respond to sustain. I Layer the piano across the entire keyboard, with the strings zoned to taper off in volume slightly above A5, but not completely, to allow room for the choir in the upper registers, and the choir to taper down to nothing below about A4. Sometimes some velocity layering helps blend the choir and strings relative to each other for some nice expression. This all leaves me exclusive use of the sustain pedal for the piano only.
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mersip,

just a correction from what I said....
I wasn't in front of my Kronos, and incorrectly remembered where the sustain switch was.

If you look under Combi MIDI settings, MIDI filter 1, you will find the switch for turning off the Damper pedal for the channel you select.
Mersip

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help but I need the damper on the strings.

The easiest way to describe what I'm looking for is to describe a bar. I want to hold the strings for a whole bar while playing the notes of the chord on the piano timbre (having played the chord in its entirety at the beginning of the bar). But as I hit each key, the volume of the strings increases.

Interestingly, I have a Combi with organ and piano which works, so I suspect it has something to do with one of the envelopes?

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is normal behavior. The sustain portion of the string envelope is usually set high so it can sustain indefinitely as you hold the pedal. Re-striking the same key is actually stacking more voices on top of each other making it louder. I've actually used this as an effect or technique.

The piano does the same thing only it is designed to die out (decay) and has a very short release cycle in its envelope.

You could try modifying the string envelope to be closer to the piano envelope. Lower the sustain cycle, adjust the decay cycle and shorten the release cycle.

It would be cool if we had a special mode where notes already sounding would not re-strike until you stopped playing or released the pedal.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Schmooster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally use a split for this, I rarely play a chord with the melody in the same octave, strings lower down but set to a higher octave than the piano works fine - otherwise as you say you're playing a piano/string melody over the chord - which I wouldn't do. The piano is the melody, the piano/string layer is the backing to it.

Bizarrely, if you repeat a note it does layer upon itself as described - unless you insert one manuallywhile editing - this cuts the inserted note if it matches the pitch of an existing note - bizarre MIDI conflict that should have been resolved long ago - it was mentioned in another post only yesterday though.

Just give us the piano-roll back; it makes life so much easier - so they remove it!?? Typical marketing strategy - 9/10 of what you want - like bleach has always only ever killed 99.9% of germs since 30 years ago - I know that's to allow for unknown germs but it just reminds me of new generation keyboards - always giving yet always at the expense of a feature they could have left it - but then we'd have our perfect workstation wouldn't we? And that's never gonna happen.... not until we can trade them for water, eggs and goats at least. Which cheeky b@st@rd decided what my skills are worth? I remember a time when I made that decision for myself. Urghhh I'm ranting. Someone will take offence - come and take my fence, it's f***ed! Wink

Last edited by Schmooster on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about lowering the maximum polyphony for the string layer to, say 4 or 6 notes?
Mersip

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bitflipper, that's definitely worth a try. I'll post once I've had a chance to give that a go.

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: