Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So how does one go about getting a second SSD installed?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sonic Bodhi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: So how does one go about getting a second SSD installed? Reply with quote

I've heard several people in here talking about installing a second SSD in their Kronos, how does one go about that (esp when your unit is still under warranty?)

Also, I know in working with Windows systems over the years, that a 32-bit operating system can utilize 4 gigabytes of ram, although Windows will only report 3 gigabytes, since one gigabyte is always system reserved. Isn't there a way that Korg could do the same thing with the Kronos O.S. so that it recognizes and utilizes 3 gb while utilizing the 4th gb for system resources?

It's probably too much to hope for that Kronos would go to a 64-bit O.S., even though that would remove the 4-gb limitation on ram. If I thought it would help, I would install 4 gb of ram (or have a service tech do it, since I'm under warranty) but I would like to know if I can and should utilize a second solid state drive in light of the ability to use virtual ram?
Charlievv

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it exactly as Irish Acts { Sharp} shows in this video and it was a piece of cake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HNKJknDf6w
Sonic Bodhi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlievv wrote:
I did it exactly as Irish Acts { Sharp} shows in this video and it was a piece of cake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HNKJknDf6w

That's interesting and instructional, however that is not my model- I have the new Korg 2 88-key Platinum Edition model. I did find a tutorial video for the 88-key model though, and it seems pretty straightforward. However, I'm always kind of loathe to open a machine that's under warranty- this won't void my warranty, will it?

Other than that, it's not that much different than upgrading a p.c., which I've been building and upgrading Windows p.c.s since 1997- including installing operating systems and upgrading those as needed. Never installed an ssd, but I assume they are all 2.5". So I wonder if I'm limited to 120 gb, or can I put a 500 gb or 1 tb if I want to, since it will be for streaming in virtual memory? That is, it will not replace the main drive. Also saw a tutorial for installing 4 gb of ram, but don't see the point in that if the O.S. won't allow you to use more than 2 gb of free ram, and it won't see more than 3 gb.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonic Bodhi wrote:
this won't void my warranty, will it?

Opening up your Kronos for any reason will void your warranty - Either wait for the warranty to run out (do you really want to risk it?) or contact your local Korg dealer.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadwave wrote:
Sonic Bodhi wrote:
this won't void my warranty, will it?

Opening up your Kronos for any reason will void your warranty - Either wait for the warranty to run out (do you really want to risk it?) or contact your local Korg dealer.

That sort of depends on where you are in the world, pretty sure that in the UK this is not the case and definitely not in the USA (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975).
tomto66

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another, longer video. [urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1mBfamwMlc[/url]
Sonic Bodhi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomto66 wrote:
Here's another, longer video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1mBfamwMlc

Had to fix your link to view it. You forgot an important character- ]

BTW thanks for posting that link, I should mention this is the same link I described earlier as being the tutorial I found for the 88-key model, I probably should have posted that link myself to begin with.

Come to find out I was already subscibed to Julius Berry (the poster of said link) on my YouTube account!

I will probably contact Korg support and ask them about what I'm allowed to do without voiding my warranty.
NormC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: So how does one go about getting a second SSD installed? Reply with quote

Sonic Bodhi wrote:
If I thought it would help, I would install 4 gb of ram (or have a service tech do it, since I'm under warranty) but I would like to know if I can and should utilize a second solid state drive in light of the ability to use virtual ram?

New models already have 4 GB installed.
Sonic Bodhi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: So how does one go about getting a second SSD installed? Reply with quote

NormC wrote:
Sonic Bodhi wrote:
If I thought it would help, I would install 4 gb of ram (or have a service tech do it, since I'm under warranty) but I would like to know if I can and should utilize a second solid state drive in light of the ability to use virtual ram?

I looked in my global settings, and by golly, you are right! It shows 3 gb installed (available), but 1 gb would be system reserved, wouldn't it?

By contrast, I have 32 gb of ram installed in my Windows 10 64-bit p.c. And have rarely ever utilized more than 20% of my available memory. Would that it were so with the Kronos!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: So how does one go about getting a second SSD installed? Reply with quote

Sonic Bodhi wrote:
NormC wrote:
Sonic Bodhi wrote:

I looked in my global settings, and by golly, you are right! It shows 3 gb installed (available), but 1 gb would be system reserved, wouldn't it?

By contrast, I have 32 gb of ram installed in my Windows 10 64-bit p.c. And have rarely ever utilized more than 20% of my available memory. Would that it were so with the Kronos!

I don't agree with comparisons to a humble Windows PC.

You are in Linux land. Kronos is a ' specialized device' . Not a commodity PC your Uncle has.
Sonic Bodhi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: So how does one go about getting a second SSD installed? Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Sonic Bodhi wrote:
NormC wrote:
Sonic Bodhi wrote:

I don't agree with comparisons to a humble Windows PC.

You are in Linux land. Kronos is a ' specialized device' . Not a commodity PC your Uncle has.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize you had a problem with being an elitist snob. It just so happens that I built my own machine, and, regardless of what you think of Windows, I've been building and upgrading p.c.'s since 1997. This is not an off-the-shelf machine from Best Buy, and since I'm 58, I only have one surviving uncle left, so please take your elitist crap and your unasked for opinions and put them where the sun doesn't shine. I also have Apple devices, so I don't tend to discriminate, but since I'm not a programmer per se, I don't have a need for a Linux machine, although I've researched Linux pretty thoroughly when I was going to build my own server at one time. No reply needed (or desired, for that matter). Very Happy
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: So how does one go about getting a second SSD installed? Reply with quote

Sonic Bodhi wrote:

I'm sorry. I didn't realize you had a problem with being an elitist snob. It just so happens that I built my own machine, and, regardless of what you think of Windows, I've been building and upgrading p.c.'s since 1997. This is not an off-the-shelf machine from Best Buy, and since I'm 58, I only have one surviving uncle left, so please take your elitist crap and your unasked for opinions and put them where the sun doesn't shine. I also have Apple devices, so I don't tend to discriminate, but since I'm not a programmer per se, I don't have a need for a Linux machine, although I've researched Linux pretty thoroughly when I was going to build my own server at one time. No reply needed (or desired, for that matter). Very Happy

I can definitely assure you that Greg is not an elitist snob.

The Kronos is running a 32 bit version of linux. I fail to see how his references to your PC stir up such a defensive stance from your perspective. Perhaps you should check your attitude? He wasn't talking about your specific uncle, it's just a general expression man. Chill out.

At any rate, Greg's factually correct - The 3.2GB of ram allocation is due to the 32bit linux kernel being used by the Kronos. The Kronos motherboard could technically hold 8gb of ram, but again there's no PAE model in the Kronos kernel so it's irrelevant.

When he said linux, he's talking about the Kronos which - yes - runs linux.
Sonic Bodhi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: So how does one go about getting a second SSD installed? Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:
Sonic Bodhi wrote:

I can definitely assure you that Greg is not an elitist snob.

The Kronos is running a 32 bit version of linux. I fail to see how his references to your PC stir up such a defensive stance from your perspective. Perhaps you should check your attitude? He wasn't talking about your specific uncle, it's just a general expression man. Chill out.

At any rate, Greg's factually correct - The 3.2GB of ram allocation is due to the 32bit linux kernel being used by the Kronos. The Kronos motherboard could technically hold 8gb of ram, but again there's no PAE model in the Kronos kernel so it's irrelevant.

When he said linux, he's talking about the Kronos which - yes - runs linux.

A) I already knew that Kronos runs Linux, I can read, and probably better than alot of you in here.
B) I'm already aware that the 32-bit architecture limits one to 4 gb, regardless of platform.
C) I did not solicit an opinion about Windows from GregC, and his tone indicates that he shows a lack of respect for new people coming into the forum. This is not the first comment of his I've read that smacks of snobbery. I think if you re-read his whole response, and look at it from my perspective, he is basically calling me a know-nothing. Being new to something does not necessarily make you an idiot, and the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked.
D) I joined this forum to get advice about issues as I run into them, or if I need to know something. The only reason I brought my Windows machine into my post at all was to make a comparison between the 32-bit limitation, as opposed to the 64-bit limit. Perhaps if you had read MY post entirely, instead of rushing to the defense of your friend's snarky comment, which provided NO educational or informational value whatsoever, you'd have realized I already knew Kronos is 32-bit. It seems as if you guys end up focussing on all the wrong things. I am NOT here for the social media component- if I wanted that, I can certainly go to Facebook instead of getting the same snarky, unnecessary b.s. here.
E) I will not respond to any more of this kind of nonsense from ANYBODY in here. If you want to troll my posts and write inflammatory responses from now on, they will go completely ignored and unanswered. I'm too old to play these kinds of 'pissing contest' games and have no desire to indulge the immaturity of people who do. If, on the other hand, you want to talk to me like an adult to another adult, you may get a civil response from me.
F) Lastly, I don't give a flying fig WHAT kind of platform runs the keyboard, as long as it does what I want it to do, which it does. My whole post was about expanding the capability of my Kronos, not to get side-tracked by some non-essential b.s. about which is better, Windows or Linux. And, btw, most people don't realize that most of the servers that run the internet are Linux machines, but I know that because I ran a website and a forum for 11 years. I got pretty good at using html and php code. (But that's another story)

All this to make the point that I'm well aware that I was basically being insulted, but GregC probably doesn't think I was sharp enough to pick up on it. Maybe you don't either, but why should I care what any of you think of p.c.s or Windows? There are things I love about Windows, and also things I hate about it, and the same goes for Apple products, of which I own more than one. I can't speak to Linux, because I haven't taken the time to learn it. Maybe I've gotten lazy in my old age, but I prefer a good gui to the demanding work of typing in command lines. And yes, I know Ubuntu has a gui.

One last thing before I close my diatribe for good- it doesn't cost a thing to be respectful and civil to people you don't know, even if they don't have the same philosophy you do. I don't discriminate, and don't feel I need an excuse for defending myself against the unnecessary rudeness of people with nothing better to do with their time than to be trolls on the internet. Don't get me wrong, I'm not "foaming at the mouth" over this issue, but maybe if I make myself clear right from the outset, you will understand who you're dealing with. For me, the sun does not rise and set on GregC's personal opinion of Windows (or me, for that matter). It's not going to ruin my day. I do think, on the other hand, that he could benefit greatly from cultivating a little humility, and then maybe you wouldn't have to go running to his defense every time he makes a social gaffe in a Korg forum.

End of diatribe- NO further responses will be read or responded to in kind, unless it specifically sticks to the original subject of this post which was about installing a second ssd, and is not rude (even in an underhanded passive-aggressive way). Bye now, and have a nice rest of your day!
Fibcouple

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys lets calm down a bit & not turn this into further flame wars.

I do think GregC's comment was patronising and condescending, and I can understand why OP took offence to it.

I don't think we should feel the need to support a snarky comment just because its been made by a senior member.

Also, I do think OP (Sonic Bodhi) is taking it a notch or more higher with his response, even if it is understandable what started him off - but it is not necessary to go that far.

So lets all turn it down a few notches and get back to the topic.......

Installing an SSD is a simple task of finding a place to secure it and attaching data & power cables. Yes it does mean that you are opening the case & if Korg know that, they will likely void warrantee. However, it is not impossible to just remove that SSD before sending it for service if so needed. There is no seal in the Kronos to my knowledge which will break if you open the case.

You are putting extra (max 5V?) load on the PSU with new drive. I have never heard a Kronos MB fry due to that & I installed an extra SSD in my Kronos right after purchase from new soon as it came out initially. But you are going to have to decide for yourself if it is worth that risk for you or not.

Hope this is helpful
mikeyd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new word of the week....Snarky

Wow!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: