Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Backing up SSD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Backing up SSD Reply with quote

I'm looking to back up my entire SSD in case of problems in the future.

Is it as simple as highlighting every file on the SSD and copying everything (using Utility) to a USB stick (say 64 Gb) ?

If I do this will everything on the Kronos be saved to the USB stick and can it then be reloaded if necessary?

Thanks in advance.
Korg Oasys 76, Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg Wavestation EX, Roland Jupiter X, 2 x Roland A800 Pro, Yamaha SY77, MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Core i7 2.7GHz 16GB / 768GB, MainStage 3, Cymatic uTrack24, Samson S Patch, U-PHORIA UMC404HD Audio interface, Yamaha MG16XU mixer
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Backing up SSD Reply with quote

Geoff Flynn wrote:

Is it as simple as highlighting every file on the SSD and copying everything (using Utility) to a USB stick (say 64 Gb) ?

If I do this will everything on the Kronos be saved to the USB stick and can it then be reloaded if necessary?

Thanks in advance.

its a good question. Do you have the original DVD's ? That has some system stuff.

The DVd's plus a " Save All " to a USB might be sufficient.

Lets see what our experts suggest
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Backing up SSD Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Geoff Flynn wrote:

Thanks in advance.

its a good question. Do you have the original DVD's ? That has some system stuff.

Yes I have the original DVD's.

I've read up on a few threads about Save All and they seem to conclude that Save All isn't sufficient.

My greatest concern is the SSD dying at some stage and I have multiple Save All's that I would like to have backed up and available to restore if possible.

Cheers.
Korg Oasys 76, Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg Wavestation EX, Roland Jupiter X, 2 x Roland A800 Pro, Yamaha SY77, MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Core i7 2.7GHz 16GB / 768GB, MainStage 3, Cymatic uTrack24, Samson S Patch, U-PHORIA UMC404HD Audio interface, Yamaha MG16XU mixer
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Backing up SSD Reply with quote

Geoff Flynn wrote:
GregC wrote:
Geoff Flynn wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Yes I have the original DVD's.

I've read up on a few threads about Save All and they seem to conclude that Save All isn't sufficient.

My greatest concern is the SSD dying at some stage and I have multiple Save All's that I would like to have backed up and available to restore if possible.

Cheers.

That is a valid concern. And it just occurred to me; A Save all plus the DVD restore is not going to cover 3rd party samples you/or others paid for.

So we are back to possibly cloning your main SSD that has all files, system, factory sounds, work files. Song files, Wav's and expensive 3rd party sample libs.
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Backing up SSD Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

That is a valid concern. And it just occurred to me; A Save all plus the DVD restore is not going to cover 3rd party samples you/or others paid for.

So we are back to possibly cloning your main SSD that has all files, system, factory sounds, work files. Song files, Wav's and expensive 3rd party sample libs.

That's how I see it. I am hoping that a simple multiple select copy of every file to USB stick will do the trick.....providing it can be restored easily enough.....
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Backing up SSD Reply with quote

Geoff Flynn wrote:
I am hoping that a simple multiple select copy of every file to USB stick will do the trick.....providing it can be restored easily enough.....

Actually you can't clone a Linux multi partition SSD with simple copy procedures since you can't even see those Ext2/3 partitions in your PC/Mac
and note that all protected sound libraries are stored in those system partitions that you can't see or edit !

We have discussed before 5 years for the best troubleshooting solution which is cloning the whole boot SSD (for specific ID keyboard) , that
requires special sofware utilities and programming experience in Linux HD Ext partitions , where you need no DVDs and in about 8 minutes
all your factory and personal setup will be restored with all system files & specific keyboard's calibration data that are not available on DVDs !

For instance in my Kronos X , there is an external auxilliary SATA port of primary SATA port of motherboard and in any case of SSD failure in
my gig , I just have to plug the cloned SSD in external SATA port , and then system boots from this SSD in 90 seconds and ready to play ...
this is my emergency backup plan A.

Search forum for old topic of cloning boot SSD and users proposals there for DIY.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us who are not interested in going through all the geek-intensive steps listed above, shouldn't the following steps be sufficient?

Have the following on hand:

1. Install DVD
2. The Install Files that were downloaded from any purchased libraries.
3. A copy of all visible files on the SSD on an external USB drive.

In the event of failure:

1. Reinstall from DVD
2. Reinstall downloaded libraries
3. Copy back all of the files from external drive
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danmusician wrote:
For those of us who are not interested in going through all the geek-intensive steps listed above, shouldn't the following steps be sufficient?

Have the following on hand:

1. Install DVD
2. The Install Files that were downloaded from any purchased libraries.
3. A copy of all visible files on the SSD on an external USB drive.

In the event of failure:

1. Reinstall from DVD
2. Reinstall downloaded libraries
3. Copy back all of the files from external drive

Thanks. That sounds doable even for me.

Do you know if I would have to erase all files (corrupted?) on the SSD before trying to reload.

Asking this because I don't have enough storage left on SSD to re-load entire visible files without deleting at least some files first.

Cheers.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's just the data you want to save,there are alternative methods in addition to the "save all" on the internal drive.

A suitable usb storage device….memory stick or drive.

The editor can also provide a save onto a computer.

The ftp method with an appropriate client app…. Cyberduck and FileZilla work well.
Plus a suitable interface adapter,see the following link as an example, or search the forum for further information.
http://www.kronoshaven.com/korg-kronos-tutorials/kronos-usb-ethernet/

The o/s plus the factory library can be restored from dvd disks……followed by the latest version.
Intermediate o/s versions do not usually need to be installed.
The factory data can be overwritten.

See Appendices in the Parameter Guide for further details for this and other useful information.

If the boot drive is formatted,or a new drive installed,re-authorisation will be required.
The current firmware will remain intact and will not need reinstalling.

As said by a previous member,other libraries can be re-installed as per norm etc.

Lack of space is a sure candidate for installing a second drive....Wink

Best Wishes.
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks all for taking the time to reply.

Plenty of info to be going on with.

I'll make sure my DVD's remain to hand along with back up of all visible files.

I have never used Korg Editor so I'll look at that too.

Cheers all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: