Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using a EXP - 2 pedal to control track volume

View previous topic :: View next topic  
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Using a EXP - 2 pedal to control track volume Reply with quote

I am new to forum and Kronos. Sorry if this question has already been answered.

How can I use my foot pedal to control the volume of a track. Simple example would be to create a combi with a piano on track 1 and a string on track 2 and use the pedal rather than the slider to bring in or fade out the string.

I'd like to program each combi differently, so that the pedal could control different tracks on different combos, but using a global setting where the pedal always controlled track x would be acceptable.

Thnx n advance.
robw70

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The foot controller will transmit on the Global Midi Channel (defaults to 1). Only Programs in the Combi that are set to the Global MIDI channel (GCH) will respond to the foot pedal. Same is true for the notes you play (unless you do something funky with Karma).

So the way to isolate a Program is to FILTER the Foot Pedal message so the individual Program doesn't respond.

You can find this setting on Combination P3 MIDI Filter/Zones->MIDI Filter 3 sub tab. Uncheck the Enable Foot Pedal box for the Program Slot you want to change (Piano 1).

In Global you should the Foot Pedal to be either CC7 Volume or CC11 Expression.
laandodeman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use a limiter and assign it in the IFX page of a combi to an individual track. I do that all the time.
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: @robw70 Reply with quote

That worked really well. In fact it allows me to fade several tracks at the same time, which even better. Thnx

It creates another problem however. Having set the pedal to "volume" in global, how do I turn off the pedal when using a program?

Example: I have a set list with a mixture of combis and progs. I can use the trechnique you showed me to "turn off" the pedal on combis, but how do I do so in a program?

Tia, 4God
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other question in this subject. Under "List of foot pedal assignments" one of the choices is:

KARMA RTC Slider1–8
This duplicates the function of the selected KARMA SLIDER. Whatever the slider is assigned to control, the pedal will control as well.

For example: I have the slider controlling the volume of track #x - shouldn't this work? (It does not seem to).
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use only combi's or Seq's. That way, I have complete control of pedal filters among other things. It easy to put a prog in a combi thus gaining the additional control.

Second, I set my pedal to cc 11 expression. This way, if controlling multiple timbers they keep their respective balance with each other.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
robw70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For example: I have the slider controlling the volume of track #x - shouldn't this work? (It does not seem to).

Nope. The Sliders on the control surface are not the same as saying the function of "KARMA RTC Slider 1-8". The Sliders on the control surface are physical controllers. They connect to the FUNCTION of KARMA RTC Slider1-8 when the control surface is in KARMA mode. They can also connect to the FUNCTION of Timbre volume when in Timbre mode, and so forth.

The foot pedal assignment then is of the Physical foot pedal to the FUNCTION of KARAMA RTC Slider 1-8, or Expression (CC#11) or, anything on the list. All this independent on any current mode of the Sliders.

Quote:
It creates another problem however. Having set the pedal to "volume" in global, how do I turn off the pedal when using a program?

Ahh, perhaps the most annoying design decision in the Kronos is that the controller assignments are Global and not per Program or per Combi (or Set List). I long for an update to this particular short coming and personally use Lemur on my iPad and some scripting to provide more advance control.

Quote:
Second, I set my pedal to cc 11 expression. This way, if controlling multiple timbers they keep their respective balance with each other.

Good point. For the OP, the CC#7 is Volume and provide an absolute position for the Volume. CC#11 is Expression and multiples the current volume with the current Expression value (scale range 0 to 1).
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I am so glad I found this forum. Mentors turn complicated subjects unto simple ones. Working through the ideas everyone provided.
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Ahh, perhaps the most annoying design decision in the Kronos is that the controller assignments are Global and not per Program or per Combi (or Set List). I long for an update to this particular short coming and personally use Lemur on my iPad and some scripting to provide more advance control.

Agreed! This design decision carries through to Nautilus as well. Strange that this feature has been omitted from Korg workstations. The Korg Prologue does allow you specify what the foot pedal controls on a per Program basis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: