Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 10 not seeing Kronos USB MIDI

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avalon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Windows 10 not seeing Kronos USB MIDI Reply with quote

I upgraded my PC a few days ago with new components: CPU, RAM, Mobo, SSD... The motherboard is a Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero.

Before, I was running Windows 10, too and the Kronos was working fine with it but since the upgrade (and fresh install of Windows 10) I cannot get Windows to see the Kronos USB MIDI ports. The driver obviously installed without problems and I can see it in the device manager but in my DAW the KRONOS doesn't appear as a MIDI In/Out (I use Reason but also tried with REAPER, same result). Driver is the latest for Windows 10. I tried different USB cables to make sure they are not the fault.

Also installed the Kronos editor. When starting it scans for Korg Kronos v3.1 but doesn't find any. My Kronos OS is updated to 3.1.2 (This is a Kronos X).

MIDI monitor tool like MIDIOX doesn't help since it cannot find the input port of the Kronos.

I'm out of ideas here. Somebody help me please! This always worked without problems before.
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) There is small utility coming with Korg MIDI drivers called Korg Driver Setup Utility. Is there "Automatic start" ticked and "Monitoring connections" in started status? If not, then tick "Automatic start" and start "Monitoring connections".
2) There is small utility with Korg MIDI drivers: "Configure KORG USB midi driver". Run this and what do you see? If Kronos connected with USB then button "Device list" must be active and pressing that button you should see connected all Korg MIDI devices showing some data. Do you see your Kronos there?
Avalon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alland wrote:
1) There is small utility coming with Korg MIDI drivers called Korg Driver Setup Utility. Is there "Automatic start" ticked and "Monitoring connections" in started status? If not, then tick "Automatic start" and start "Monitoring connections".
2) There is small utility with Korg MIDI drivers: "Configure KORG USB midi driver". Run this and what do you see? If Kronos connected with USB then button "Device list" must be active and pressing that button you should see connected all Korg MIDI devices showing some data. Do you see your Kronos there?

Hi alland!

I checked both these tools and the data displayed is correct. Device List shows:

KRONOS
MIDI Port IN: 1 / OUT: 1

Yet still, in my DAWs the ports for the Kronos still don't show up.
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win 10 32 or 64 bit?
Korg drivers running 64 or 32 bit? (see utility "Configure KORG USB midi driver")
DAWs 32 or 64 bit?
Avalon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alland wrote:
Win 10 32 or 64 bit?
Korg drivers running 64 or 32 bit? (see utility "Configure KORG USB midi driver")
DAWs 32 or 64 bit?

All 64bit. In the driver settings it's set to both.

Already uninstalled/reinstalled the software several times, once in 'No Driver Signing' safe mode. So far no success.

I need to find out which driver version I used on the previous Windows install. That one didn't have all this additional setup stuff and worked just fine.
Avalon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just connected the Korg to my Mac and there, Kronos MIDI in/out works so it's certain that it's not the Kronos or cable. The problem must be with Win 10 or the driver.
missinglynx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has this been fixed at all? Because I have the same the same symptoms and I've had to use the old school midi cables into my interface to get midi to work at all.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Windows 10 not seeing Kronos USB MIDI Reply with quote

Avalon wrote:
Somebody help me please!

Try this -> https://www.audiomentor.com/audioproduction/daw-unable-detect-midi-controller-windows
qqquartzzz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: A possible solution.. Reply with quote

I posted this in another section of the forum. But it might help here:

The main problem I had (Windows7/64) was that windows wouldn't let one of the USB drivers load because of the Driver Signature "safety" set in Windows. But if both drivers are showing up in Device Manager with no little yellow exclamation points, they should be fine.
I think the new software editor needs to have 3.1 installed on your Kronos. And the USB driver needs to be 1.5. But, and I'm not sure till I can look at it, I ended up using the 1.14 MIDI driver in Windows7/64 instead. Because I got tired of turning off the Driver Sig. Safety.
Download @ http://i.korg.com/support
And everything runs now. The editor works. And I can control Reason as well as my VST synths.

To disable the Driver Signature Safety in Windows 10:
Windows 10 enforces driver signatures by default. This can be disabled to install drivers that are not digitally signed. Use the following steps to disable driver signature enforcement.

Click the Start Start menu and select Settings.
Click Update and Security.
Click on Recovery.
Click Restart now under Advanced Startup.
Click Troubleshoot.
Click Advanced options.
Click Startup Settings.
Click on Restart.
On the Startup Settings screen press 7 or F7 to disable driver signature enforcement.
Your computer will restart and you will be able to install non-digitally signed drivers. If you restart your computer again the driver signature enforcement will be re-enabled.
timg11

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some "oddities" with the Kronos drivers in Windows.

I documented my experience last year in this thread. I don't know if it is applicable, but might be able to help?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: