Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos OR Yamaha Montage 8?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos and a laptop with software synths. Maybe Onmisphere and Keyscape by Spectrasonics.

You will got through sounds all day for a long time and never get throgh them all before the next version is released.
And even get the MODX 61 for added sound.

Sound control is more important than you seem to be mentioning.
Maybe you know this but are saying little about it.
Sound control comes with controllers. Keyboard that do more than plug in a Sustain pedal. Kronos does sustain, expresssion and variable assignment foot switch. So does MODX. And the number if sound control parameters in just one board is far more than the sum total of all controls on bothe boards.

So you can get the best sounding quality Keyboard for bread and butter sounds, but sound shaping and realtime control over the sounds is a big part of cutting edge sound.
Spectrasonics is top notch sound designer, but they are in software form via computer that can connect to kronos. And even with their top notch sound quality, they go heavily into sound shaping via control over parameters and processing sound.

Effects processors are a big part of sound quality. Kronos does very good at that. Yamaha does well also but i am not able to compare effects between the two. Even the clearest & cleanest analog sounds of very expensive rigs, are not really great sounding until some sound shaping and effects processing. Then they become hard to beat even by the likes of Kronos and Yamaha.
But....Kronos has really good effects section and even its own separate CPU for effects. Seaparated from the CPU used to make the sounds that are processed through effects.

I really think if you have the space and means to physically manage both Kronos, MODX and a decent Laptop with Spectrasonics Omnisphere and Keyscape, you will be so busy swimming in very good options that no more time and energy to spend wondering if you got the best.

If you are really not into energy spent in technical aspect of sound quality coming with Kronos or computers, maybe NORD will be easier than Kronos and MoDX/Montage.
And even with Nord, you can still have a Computer and Software sound sets.
Some software sound sets are often rated as better sounding than Kronos, Nord or Yamaha top end synths.
And you get a $3000 Computer that has far better and more powerful CPU, it is easy to process superior digital synths done in software form.

I am in with Kronos right now and the only place i am drawn to for upgrade in sound quality, is Spectrasonics on a computer. No Yamaha or Nord for me.
I am moving to software direction for better sounds and many more sound options than Kronos can provide.
My Kronos 88 will remain relevant for a long time in terms of being the keybed and controller for software based synths.
ChasingPerfection

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
ChasingPerfection wrote:
GregC wrote:
ChasingPerfection wrote:
GregC wrote:
ChasingPerfection wrote:
[qu
If it doesn't, I'm assuming you're saying the best all-in-one boards on the market are the Montage/MODX and Kronos?

Montage and MODX are not ' all in one boards. Neither has a SEQ.
Both are fairly called 'performance synths'.

Kronos has a very useable SEQ.

But we are getting into spec.
You can eval that separately

I think your only topic focus/criteria was ' sound '.

Yes, that's what I meant. Totally in regards to sounds. All boards are going to be strong in some places to weaker in others. Basically what I'm asking is, if you were to grade each sound - especially bread and butter sounds - on a scale of 1 to 10 in both the Kronos and Montage/MODX - as tedious as that would be - would those two boards have the highest average score?

Since money is no object.

And you only have 4 criteria.
Kronos excels in 2 top sound categories. EP's are a tie. Strings a very slight edge to MODX.

Simplistically, that is a very close win for Kronos. But neither board is that 'simple' thus
I don't agree with such narrow criteria for a $3500 decision.

But I don't mind playing along since most have their own slant on a keyboard choice.

You really should try out the MODX. Its a no brainer for value and sound. But thats opposite of your approach.

Let me put it this way:

I am a very restless individual in certain regards. I am a quality nut. Any time I realize I'm being shorted on quality, I have a need to rectify that. Period.

I don't care about brand names, just quality. If you told me the greatest keyboard in the world, with A+ sounds in every sound category, didn't have a brand name on it, couldn't do anything else beyond play those sounds at the highest level, and was 15k, I'd buy it without thinking twice. If at NAMM '19, some company debuted a board that blew that board out of the water, I'd buy that board.

All I care about is playing music. I do no studio work at all. I'll do editing of sounds on the board if it means I'll get better sounds.

I know, to some people, that seems like a ridiculous reason to spend that much money, but I have to do what makes sense for me.

ok. I am curious of your next step. Are you doing more opinion gathering or have you made a keyboard decision ?

If I'm being transparent, I'm leaning towards a couple of options.

MODX/Nord Stage 3(Great for weight, and the amount of gigging I'm going to do); Jupiter 80 & V Synth GT or Nord Stage 3; or MODX and Kronos 2.

I've given myself a deadline of Wednesday morning.
ChasingPerfection

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
Kronos and a laptop with software synths. Maybe Onmisphere and Keyscape by Spectrasonics.

You will got through sounds all day for a long time and never get throgh them all before the next version is released.
And even get the MODX 61 for added sound.

Sound control is more important than you seem to be mentioning.
Maybe you know this but are saying little about it.
Sound control comes with controllers. Keyboard that do more than plug in a Sustain pedal. Kronos does sustain, expresssion and variable assignment foot switch. So does MODX. And the number if sound control parameters in just one board is far more than the sum total of all controls on bothe boards.

So you can get the best sounding quality Keyboard for bread and butter sounds, but sound shaping and realtime control over the sounds is a big part of cutting edge sound.
Spectrasonics is top notch sound designer, but they are in software form via computer that can connect to kronos. And even with their top notch sound quality, they go heavily into sound shaping via control over parameters and processing sound.

Effects processors are a big part of sound quality. Kronos does very good at that. Yamaha does well also but i am not able to compare effects between the two. Even the clearest & cleanest analog sounds of very expensive rigs, are not really great sounding until some sound shaping and effects processing. Then they become hard to beat even by the likes of Kronos and Yamaha.
But....Kronos has really good effects section and even its own separate CPU for effects. Seaparated from the CPU used to make the sounds that are processed through effects.

I really think if you have the space and means to physically manage both Kronos, MODX and a decent Laptop with Spectrasonics Omnisphere and Keyscape, you will be so busy swimming in very good options that no more time and energy to spend wondering if you got the best.

If you are really not into energy spent in technical aspect of sound quality coming with Kronos or computers, maybe NORD will be easier than Kronos and MoDX/Montage.
And even with Nord, you can still have a Computer and Software sound sets.
Some software sound sets are often rated as better sounding than Kronos, Nord or Yamaha top end synths.
And you get a $3000 Computer that has far better and more powerful CPU, it is easy to process superior digital synths done in software form.

I am in with Kronos right now and the only place i am drawn to for upgrade in sound quality, is Spectrasonics on a computer. No Yamaha or Nord for me.
I am moving to software direction for better sounds and many more sound options than Kronos can provide.
My Kronos 88 will remain relevant for a long time in terms of being the keybed and controller for software based synths.

I'm really, really, trying to avoid going down the path of using a laptop.

Everyone claims it is superior to hardware to a degree that, if you care about the quality of the sounds, you have to go that direction.

I am really hoping, if I just got two of the best in hardware, whatever I am missing by not having software, will be negligible.

I'll look into it.

If I recall Omnisphere doesn't do much for bread and butter sounds, and Keyscape is arguably king of that.

How would I go about having my top board running Omnisphere, and my bottom running Keyscape/Pianoteq? Two laptops needed?

If I used those software synths, how significant are the controllers? I wouldn't need a high end board, correct?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may not need a high end controller, but it all depends on the real time utility you need and the key bed quality you need.
Real feel 88 weighted key bed? That is a bit extra cost when it comes to basic controllers. Also the types of controls included is another thing that adds cost.

For my playing, i like weighted 88 with smooth but firm touch. I go back to acoustic piano training and like something that keeps my fingers strong and able to keep up with the weight of real pianos, for if i ever get near a good grand piano and want to feel her out.

Not sure you would need two laptops to run two software synths with each getting its own controller.
If each Keyboard is set to different midi channels, they won’t play the same sound source.
And if the Software synths can be set to different midi channels, they will not respond to the same keyboards. Just set midi channels for which software synth you want to match which Keyboard.

Kronos itself can let you play up to 16 sounds at a time all layered together or split across the keyboard with independent key zones. Also lets you give each layer or zone its own midi channel where you can then chain 16 keyboards in midi and set each keyboard to its own independent midi channel so that each plays only one of the 16 selected programs in a kronos combi.
You can do that with kronos up to whatever the limit of keyboards in midi chain link. Not sure if the limit is less than 16, or at 16.

So it should be possible to play several sounds from omnisphere software alone and each sound get its own keyboard. Should be the same if you bring in Keyscape and decide it gets its own keyboard apart from Omnisphere. Keyscape can even be plugged into Omnisphere and then omnisphere route a separate additional midi channel for it, to whatever keyboard you habe set to match the channel.

You have to check to be sure your Software synth of choice has the settings to allow it to send and receive on variable midi channels that you get to select and not always defaulting to Omnichannel.
I know i have issues figuring out how to get Garage band iPad, to play over midi channels i select, rather than omnichannel.
I ended up adding a midi wizard app that lets me have midi setting controls ober apps that don’t give me such control. A midi filter and bypass system that can taks an app stuck on midi 1 and bypass it to midi channel 2 or whatever i decide, and also set which midi messages pass through or get blocked.

Also if connected to USB midi at the computer from Kronos, but chain linked via 5 pin midi to MODX from Kronos, there can be a break in the chain for MODX thru Kronos to the Computer.
But i am not sure if MODX can or cannot handle passing 5 pin midi from Kronos through itself and then to the computer over USB out of MODX.
If MODX has that flexibility, then out it first in line to the computer and then Kronos linked to MODX via 5 pin. Easier and cheaper than a complex midi/audio interface sooution at the computer.

There are midi interface solutions that allow 5 pin midi and USB midi/audio to all come into the same interface for wherever, and get sorted out so that every signal gets sent where it needs to go.

If you don’t plan on getting technicall adept, you may want to stay away from the full suite of computer software synths plus several keyboards.
Even Kronos by itself can be a technical feat for the user, as soon as you try to stray beyond selecting programs and combi’s.

Press the wrong button on kronos and then forget which one it was and end up pressing another in a game of guess, and you can end up neck deep in the User manual trying to figure out what you did wrong.
Actually, you have a Compare button to use to back track one step only, i think. Maybe back track a few steps?
Or you can power down and wait for 15 second reboot and start all over again. So there are self rescue option Kronos has to help users along.

Worth it for me to get technical for the things it lets me do creatively.
Of course i have free time and no gigging career to keep up with.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChasingPerfection wrote:

Everyone claims it is superior to hardware to a degree that, if you care about the quality of the sounds, you have to go that direction.

I am really hoping, if I just got two of the best in hardware, whatever I am missing by not having software, will be negligible.

I'll look into it.

If I recall Omnisphere doesn't do much for bread and butter sounds, and Keyscape is arguably king of that.

How would I go about having my top board running Omnisphere, and my bottom running Keyscape/Pianoteq? Two laptops needed?

If I used those software synths, how significant are the controllers? I wouldn't need a high end board, correct?

What kind of music are you playing?
Are you playing alone or in a band?
Do you play for others or just for your own pleasure?
Do you want to record or just play?
Music and gear are heavily context related.

There are PLENTY of sound samples of all the synths mentioned out there if you want to compare sound quality for different instruments and musical contexts. Concerning the Kronos, you should have a look at Korg's really big sound shop, to show you the massive range of sounds ready for use with a Kronos. - I still prefer it over anything else out there, even if it were just for the quality and flexibility of sounds and sound shaping, and not for the other extras (sequencer, masterkyboard functionality etc.). There is no other board out there, which covers as much sonic ground in as much overall quality, as the Kronos does. Else they all have strong and weak spots, but overall the Kronos does a better job than anything else IMO.

One last thing: whenever you look for perfection, you can't avoid looking into a mirror. The first thing involved is always and inevitably yourself. All the rest is always just that: the rest, and related to you, your goals, your skills and your musical character. You simply can't buy anything replacing that basic relation. So look at yourself first of all to make any gear decision.
ChasingPerfection

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
ChasingPerfection wrote:

I'll look into it.

What kind of music are you playing?

I play a lot of different styles. On Sunday's I play 'traditional to contemporary gospel' in church. I do a lot of funerals and weddings, as well. During the week and on Saturday's, I do everything from Neo-Soul and R&B to covers of pop music going back decades. From 'It's A Man's World' by James Brown to " Don't Stop Believing' by Journey to "Hello" by Adele.

Are you playing alone or in a band?

Three piece band. Along with a drummer and bassist.

Do you play for others or just for your own pleasure?

I def. play out. A LOT.

Do you want to record or just play?

I just play.

Music and gear are heavily context related.

There are PLENTY of sound samples of all the synths mentioned out there if you want to compare sound quality for different instruments and musical contexts. Concerning the Kronos, you should have a look at Korg's really big sound shop, to show you the massive range of sounds ready for use with a Kronos. - I still prefer it over anything else out there, even if it were just for the quality and flexibility of sounds and sound shaping, and not for the other extras (sequencer, masterkyboard functionality etc.). There is no other board out there, which covers as much sonic ground in as much overall quality, as the Kronos does. Else they all have strong and weak spots, but overall the Kronos does a better job than anything else IMO.

One last thing: whenever you look for perfection, you can't avoid looking into a mirror. The first thing involved is always and inevitably yourself. All the rest is always just that: the rest, and related to you, your goals, your skills and your musical character. You simply can't buy anything replacing that basic relation. So look at yourself first of all to make any gear decision.

Heh. Trust me, I'm always looking in that damned mirror. I wish I could stop. It is largely why I'm considered to be so good as a musician - but also why I'm incapable of appreciating the moment, and am always looking at how to continue to top myself.

I've lost a lot of bandmates as a result. I'm not even an a-hole, and that isn't just my opinion. I've yet to curse at anyone, or even raise my voice. One of my former bandmates told me, "The only reason I stuck around with you is because your passion is admirable, and you're a nice guy. I just can't pretend I want to continue 'finding that next level'. I'm not being paid enough to continue this crazy ass ride with you. Maybe constantly trying to be better and better is enough for you, but there has to be some sort of end game for me. Thanks for everything, but I'm going to play drums in my brother-in-law's new band."

I have a home-based business that allows me to not concern myself with money, and I spend a lot of my time practicing like a maniac, and rehearsing with whatever choir or band I play for/with.

Answers are in red.

Obviously.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that was quite helpful to understand your demands.

So you obviously are well suited to drive your next musical Ferrari, and don't just want to use it for a supermarket buy around the corner. Wink

But then, all the more, i have no better advice than
- a) buy a Kronos
- b) have a look at available tutorial videos, some free on YT (Korg, Qui Robinez and others), some paid.
After starting with free videos, I learned most from this series:
https://www.sounth.de/korg-kronos-tutorial/
- c) use the Kronos as all-around tool and central piece of your gear

Later, you can still add something else if you're missing anything (analog synths, a Yamaha flavor via MODx played from the Kronos as Masterkeyboard, whaever...). And remember: you can add user sampling, getting samples of your choise into the Kronos and then stream even big libraries from SSD.
ChasingPerfection

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Thanks, that was quite helpful to understand your demands.

So you obviously are well suited to drive your next musical Ferrari, and don't just want to use it for a supermarket buy around the corner. Wink

But then, all the more, i have no better advice than
- a) buy a Kronos
- b) have a look at available tutorial videos, some free on YT (Korg, Qui Robinez and others), some paid.
After starting with free videos, I learned most from this series:
https://www.sounth.de/korg-kronos-tutorial/
- c) use the Kronos as all-around tool and central piece of your gear

Later, you can still add something else if you're missing anything (analog synths, a Yamaha flavor via MODx played from the Kronos as Masterkeyboard, whaever...). And remember: you can add user sampling, getting samples of your choise into the Kronos and then stream even big libraries from SSD.

What do you think about V Synth GT or Access Virus Ti2 as a top board/synth?
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are great VA-synths, but I prefer analog synths on top of a digital allround workstation. It's completely a matter of taste and purpose.

But I think you will be busy with using a Kronos and getting into it for quite a while, without being distracted by yet more gear.

If you then think you could need a monophonic or polyphonic synth or whatever else on top, you can still buy it. But I would only buy, after I really learned to use my mainboard really well, and only if I wouild see a real need and purpose, not just for the sake of it. If you see what Cory Henry dows with just a Kronos and a Little Phatty, you know what I mean.

Concerning sounds, just one example:
https://youtu.be/wVzsz_FXnKM
leonh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can master Kronos and that is big if (i did not yet) you don't need anything else simple as that I always said only problem with Kronos is that once you own it there is nothing better to buy and as a musician we always want something new I had Montage too I didn't need it so sold it .
Only restriction on Kronos is a person who is playing it.
leonh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can master Kronos and that is big if (i did not yet) you don't need anything else simple as that I always said only problem with Kronos is that once you own it there is nothing better to buy and as a musician we always want something new I had Montage too I didn't need it so sold it .
Only restriction on Kronos is a person who is playing .t
ChasingPerfection

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leonh wrote:
Only restriction on Kronos is a person who is playing .t

I'd do a lot of bread and butter sounds on the Kronos, but I do use my top board for synth sounds, that I wouldn't want to layer with other sounds. I do this A LOT.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leonh wrote:
Only restriction on Kronos is a person who is playing it.

I agree with you. I know many keyboardists like the 2 keyboard look, or have reasons for sticking keyboards.

Realistically, the Kronos does it all. I prefer the minimalist approach. 1 Kronos
is a smart and simple setup IMO.

I understand some have a strong pref for analog. I honestly don't believe
the audience can discern between Kronos and a board with VA

As insurance, for gigging, I would keep a small Motif sitting around , like an MX. Just in case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: