Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone recognize this DX7 sound?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Does anyone recognize this DX7 sound? Reply with quote

I'm working on a project and I can't seem to find this sound:

https://soundcloud.com/user-751872329/metalhitsdx7

It's the metal hits sound. I almost originally thought it was something like a DX7 Chifflute but then it has this metallic quality. I have the other sound already figured out, that was easy to find.

I've already scoured a library of over 100,000 DX7 sounds and can't seem to find it, but just curious if it's something that someone else goes "Oh, it's actually this:" instead of me wasting time trying to find it.

I'm also going to ask on the Yamaha DX forums, maybe they'll know as well but wanted to ask here too in case you vintage key experts know the sound already!
CherryPistolKeys

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Are you sure? Reply with quote

How positive are you that this is a DX7 sound? The hits sound like something that could have come from a Fairlight, etc.

Artist and song might give us some clues...
Kurzweil K2000 and K2000R
Roland D-50
Roland Jupiter 8
Roland A-30
Alesis QSR
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 99.99% certain is was recorded using a Yamaha TX816 which was actually just stacked DX-7's. The tonality definitely lends itself to being FM, but the song was "We Built This City", producer was Peter Wolf and there's been many references to the fact that pretty much the entire song synth wise was the TX816.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:
Yamaha TX816 which was actually just stacked DX-7's.

I own all those Yamaha series including TX816 , which it's not just an FM generetor , unlike TX816 also has PWM sampled
waveforms library and it can combine 4 groups of 6 oparators DX FM synthesis , or 4 PWM wave generators or even
mixed FM & PWM where you can get no clue of final sonic resultant in order to replicate it , just like the unexpected sonic
result of Emax II TM synthesis when combining two unequal waveforms !
This misunderstood Yamaha module had a unique power of 10Χ D-50 keyboards in one ...
By the way both above sound resources plus the majority of significant analog vintage monsters are included in wavesArt's
Vintage Synths Suite http://wavesart.eu/KronosEXs/Legend%20Synths%20Suite.html

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: