Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5 Kronos 2 88 Keys stuck and can't be depressed.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: 5 Kronos 2 88 Keys stuck and can't be depressed. Reply with quote

Just purchased and received today a Korg Kronos 2 88 via ebay. It was advertised as "like new." Does anyone heard of this and is there some way to "free up" the stuck/frozen keys? Would appreciate input. Thank you.
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brs - was the keybed properly shimmed for transport? I have heard of cases where the front bar was bent impeding key travel.

Check this thread:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=110165&highlight=bent+front+bar
brs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for replying. If by "shimming" you mean taping the keys as Korg does on a new keyboard for shipping, no, it wasn't; otherwise I'm not familiar with the term. At my request, the seller double boxed it and it really seemed packed well which is leading me to believe it was possibly this way when he shipped it. However, 5 keys are involved, 3 white and two black. I just don't know ebay's policy if the seller is complicit in falsely advertising this Kronos as "like new" and in excellent condition. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks again.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brs wrote:
Thank you for replying. If by "shimming" you mean taping the keys as Korg does on a new keyboard for shipping, no, it wasn't; otherwise I'm not familiar with the term. At my request, the seller double boxed it and it really seemed packed well which is leading me to believe it was possibly this way when he shipped it. However, 5 keys are involved, 3 white and two black. I just don't know ebay's policy if the seller is complicit in falsely advertising this Kronos as "like new" and in excellent condition. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks again.

I would assert the seller did not adequately protect the keyboard from damage due to shipping. And I am not sure if its such a great idea to push the carrier (UPS or FedX) into the middle, or other seller finger pointing.

The safest shipping for the 88 would be to insert 5 shims ( like thick business cards) in between the various keys and up against the frame. The shims would be taped to the frame or keys , to keep the keybed thoroughly inert.

It seems you are asking for eBay claim or dispute advice. I think you have to read the fine print. IMO, you should immediately file a claim since you have a useless $3000 keyboard , hopefully temporarily.

I don't know if you are willing to do all the work to get the K2 fixed.

Seems like its the sellers responsibility to provide a Like New keyboard to you.
Thus , it goes back to him to adequately fix it.

IMO, you should not bear any cost for return or repair.

Again, you would need to read eBays fine print on filing a dispute/claim or simply return for a full refund.

Sorry this is such a poor experience.
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brs,
it sounds like the front metal bar has had some pressure applied to it before it was packed into the carton, as a result of someone carrying it while leaning it against their waste, without the cardboard spacers wedge along the front of the keybed. It might be that the clearance of this panel to the keybed is quite tight, and just needs the panel to be pulled back out a little, as well as loosening the baseboard screws to move the keybed back a little from the front panel.
In the end the fix may be quite simple, but the onus on who is responsible a little more tricky for you.
NormC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most cases it is an easy fix unless the front edge has been bent. If the front edge is still straight you only have to loosen the screws securing the keybed and shift it away from the front bar. This can happen with the heavy RH3 keybed even when double boxed. My K2 73 was brand new from Sweetwater and was double boxed. It had no shims so I was concerned after reading here about issues but it worked fine.
brs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ALL for your absolutely great information. This is all so helpful and truly good to know you are there. As of this morning I have received a reply from the seller and he is expressing concern and had offered a refund. He wants me to send a video via eBay but I'm not sure videos can be posted on the eBay email. Thanks again everyone. Blessings
tim.condon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered that sometimes hammers get stuck between the interior frame when the keyboard is upside down (as might happen during shipping). After opening the case to discover the cause, I was able to fix it by flipping over keyboard and pressing the key to jiggle it loose.
brs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim,
Are you saying to "open the case" meaning unscrew it and remove the entire top of the ketboard and then turn it upside down? I guess I'm not quite understanding.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brs wrote:
Thanks Tim,
Are you saying to "open the case" meaning unscrew it and remove the entire top of the ketboard and then turn it upside down? I guess I'm not quite understanding.

the only way ( that I know of ) to 'open the case ' is to remove the bottom cover. It has about 20-25 screws.

With that, the keyboard has to be laid carefully in the upside down position. Its very easy to snap off or break the joystick and the vector. Maybe support the board with cushions. Use a power screwdriver and keep track of the screws.

As far as any other step, I have no advice. It might be worth a try to see of those keys respond to some gentle pressure.
JoeyL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That happened to me last spring. I could not go with my band to the studio and they hauled it on its edge. When they got back the last several keys would not depress. It was not a spacebar issue, it was more like the hammers were stuck. I turned it upside down to unscrew the bottom, checked the keys before I unscrewed it and the keys were free. It's been a year and has never happened since.
brs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such great information everyone and I truly appreciate it. I have to decide what to do. The seller asked me to fwd a video to verify I wasn't making it up; I sent it and he has since offered a price reduction of $300.00 as he doesn't want me to return it.
I have to make a decision. Everything else seems ok and I believe his claim that the Kronos 2 88 is for all intense and purpose nearly new and very lightly used. I'll pose the question to you great people as I don't want to make the wrong decision.....what would you do ? Thanks again
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brs wrote:
Such great information everyone and I truly appreciate it. I have to decide what to do. The seller asked me to fwd a video to verify I wasn't making it up; I sent it and he has since offered a price reduction of $300.00 as he doesn't want me to return it.
I have to make a decision. Everything else seems ok and I believe his claim that the Kronos 2 88 is for all intense and purpose nearly new and very lightly used. I'll pose the question to you great people as I don't want to make the wrong decision.....what would you do ? Thanks again

you don't know enough to determine if the board is 'ok '. Do you have a friend who has experience with the Kronos ? That might help.
Best idea is to take it to a Korg Service center and have them conform you have
a good Kronos

Plus It would seem a logical step to remove the bottom cover and maybe you will get lucky and solve the stuck keys.

I think you should tell your seller you have to have Korg service take a look at it.
They might need a week or 2 to schedule you. Seller will have to be patient.
You should still get the $300 because you are going thru a significant hassle.
But fat lady does not sing until Korg Service says so
brs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg. This is very good advice. It should not do any further damage if I turn it upside down as you suggest to remove the screws?
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents...

Since more than one person has solved a similar problem by simply inverting the board and pressing the keys, that would be my 1st course of action. Get two strong and reliable friends to flip the board and hold it for you while you 'tinkle the ivorys". It will either work or it won't.

If it does not, Greg C's advice to send/take it to a Korg Svc Ctr is the way I would go.

Personal surgery is dependent on your skill level. To quote Dirty Harry, " a man's gotta know his limitations".

I hate that you are having a bad experience with such a great instrument. I believe it will work out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: