Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It looks like 32GB uSD is the maximum size

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstodola

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: It looks like 32GB uSD is the maximum size Reply with quote

Well I finally got around to trying the idea of installing a 32GB uSD chip. As some of you know my SD went dead quite awhile ago. Somebody else had problems with bigger uSDs and replaced it with a smaller one (which are getting harder to find). I had the idea also, a number of months ago, and purchase a smaller one but because I didn't really need it, I kept putting it off. So finally today I tried it and "miracles of miracles" it worked. I can see my SD again. So the uSD port did not die, but only had too big a uSD in it.

By the way before the uSD port seeming died I had all kinds of funny lock up problems and such. So it seems a 32GB uSD is the maximum size the Pa4X can use.

Mitch
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - I think my experience may have been similar, though I am hazy on the details as I have had my Pa4X about 8 months now.

I initially installed a 64Gb SD, and it worked fine for a while, but after a month or so it was unrecognized. This is similar to the experience reported by Marrantz. http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=110289&highlight=card

From memory, I had a few freezes during that time also.

Subsequently, I replaced it with a 32Gb Sandisk SD, which works fine, and I don't recall any freezes since then.

Phil
Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: os Reply with quote

I have use just a 32 gb and it hold more then I need and work fine for me ( soo far ) and my os is 121
ozdaniel(AD)
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: It looks like 32GB uSD is the maximum size Reply with quote

mstodola wrote:
Well I finally got around to trying the idea of installing a 32GB uSD chip. As some of you know my SD went dead quite awhile ago. Somebody else had problems with bigger uSDs and replaced it with a smaller one (which are getting harder to find). I had the idea also, a number of months ago, and purchase a smaller one but because I didn't really need it, I kept putting it off. So finally today I tried it and "miracles of miracles" it worked. I can see my SD again. So the uSD port did not die, but only had too big a uSD in it.

By the way before the uSD port seeming died I had all kinds of funny lock up problems and such. So it seems a 32GB uSD is the maximum size the Pa4X can use.

Mitch

You can put any SSD, USB or micro SD, how big you want, the condition is to be formatted in FAT32!
You need software in PC or MAC to be able to format the partition in FAT32, because most microSDs come from factory in exFAT format and that's the reason why Pa series keyboards do not recognize them!
Here's the proof but I'm sorry it's just in Romanian, but I'm sure you'll get it from the video!
I installed in my Pa4x, a SSD Samsung 850 Pro 1Tb split into 4 partitions, microSD Samsung class 10 128Gb and USB 3.0 128GB and works exceptionally ... with OS 1.2.4!
PS: In the video, I showed to a friend how to install a 256GB Samsung Evo Pro SSD, in his Pa4x, but the same procedure is for any device!
https://youtu.be/AbnW1wsgDiY?t=40m15s
Regards
Daniel
mstodola

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did reformat the SD to FAT32 -- on the Pa4x. I also have linux which allows for reformatting to all the standard formats. I haven't checked the 32GB uSD but I'm not pulling it out to check it. I might check out the uSD's that stopped working in the Pa4x.

My Pa4x after awhile started locking up and doing all kinds of weird stuff. I thought I had blown the uSD port because of the warning in the manual about installing the chip with the power cord attached (which I had done). Like Duby2 said, I'll probably never use up 32GB anyway; and I'm just happy it's not broken. I've gotten used to using the USB and the hard drive the most anyway.

Thank you for the information anyway.
Mitch
mstodola

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update:
I checked all my uSD chips and they are all FAT32. So that was not the problem. I guess I will see what happens with the new 32GB chip. I can see the new chip but I can not see the bigger chips. I can read the bigger chips from the computer so they work, just cannot be used in my Pa4x.

update:
I just checked the 32 and the other larger chips. It seems the larger chips have two partitions. The first is 16GB and the second is a large logical partition. Whereas the 32GB chips have only one partition and it is a primary partition. Maybe that is the difference.

Mitch
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just going to say - re-partition it....

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
mstodola

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep....
Actually .. one has to completely wipe the thumb drive, then reformat to FAT32. That was the only way I was able to make one partition on the chip. I haven't tried it, but I think we have finally found the solution to the uSD dilemma.

I think things lock up because the Pa4x gets confused with the two partitions on the bigger SD chips. I don't think the first partition is meant to be written to and if the Pa4x tries to access it, the machine locks up. Not having access to the code I can only guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: