Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not sure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomhip

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Not sure Reply with quote

Hi folks I have joined this forum because it seemed the obvious course to find out more about Korg keyboards I have been an ardent Yamaha keyboard fan for many years but recently I have seen videos of the PAX4 and I am very impressed, I at present own a Tyros 5 and my delemma is do I exchange for a PAX4? could anyone on this forum give me an unbiased opinion I would be most interested and grateful for any feedback.
Thanks for any interest.
Tomhip
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, the workflow is rather different. Can you find one in a music store to try and compare?
rawone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you , I own several Yamaha keyboards and just acquired a Pa4x-76.
The major difference is the 7" color touch-screen. you can adjust parameters directly on the touch-screen, or use a keypad or use the wheel next to the display. (Data Entry control aka DX7!!)
Upper left are 9 slide pots. They are used to adjust volume levels in real time of the 4 voices. ( 1L +3R) In organ mode, they adjust the 9-drawbars for tone-wheel organ. The drawbars can also be adjusted via the touch-screen. They are also assignable as real time controllers.

The one problem I have is, they have 2 footswitch jacks on the back panel.
One is a dedicated Damper-sustain pedal and the other one is assignable.
My PSR-1500 has two jacks and BOTH are assignable.
(I do use both switches most of the time)
There is an optional 5-switch unit that is fully assignable. (EC-5 unit)

The keyboard is organized by styles. You have to select a style to save presets and songs in the songbook. There is a keyboard set function that saves 4 voice only presets (4 voices X 4 sets=16 voice preset)
Once saved , the songs can be entered into set-lists for playing live.
The song does a full set-up of the keyboard.
There are a few Youtube videos that do a side by side comparison of the 2 keyboards.
I do like the voice quality of the sounds, they are all multi-sampled over the full keyboard range. You can edit the voice and save the edits as a custom voice.
The operator manual is 1000+ pages and is available for download.
I also downloaded the Pa3x manual and Pa3x edit manual for the midi information.

I will be playing live-on stage in an open mike environment.
This keyboard will replace the Psr-1500 and an Alesis Quadra-synth that i use as a 76 key controller, and a tone source (true layering).
When I was playing this set-up, I noticed the Yamaha DID NOT carry the voice past the 61 note limit. when I exceeded the 61 note limit, all I got was the tone and none of the touch-responses.

I am not having any problems adapting to the new set-up, Physically
all the functions seem to be in the same place as the Yamaha.
Regarding the Tyros, I could not get anything out of this keyboard, and I not yet seen it used in a live setting anywhere.
I have seen lots of Motiffs and Montage , but no Tyros??

Look at the videos and make your decision....

Rich W...
Tomhip

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich for your in depth reply it is appreciated and as luck would have it since posting my query I have had an invite to a local venue to see and hear a fellow called Pete Shaw playing the PAX4 , I'm obviously aware that the set up and programming will be professional at this place but if I can do a hands on with one out of the box then I think I will have a much clearer idea.
Again Rich thanks for your imput
Tom
Tomhip

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi koekpan,
Thanks for your response but as you can see from my reply to rawone I will be more able to make a decision after the venue
Regards tomhip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> New Members Zone All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: