Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non near-field speaker set-up...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
G

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Well obviously not all speakers are created equally. I'm sure that really really good home stereo speakers would do better than a bottom end PA. But buck for buck I would bet on the PA. Best would be if you could try it out, what I'm expecting is probably not what you're expecting. I'm still unsure if you already have a setup?

No, I don't have the setup yet.

I have narrowed the keyboard down to the Kronos 88 (between the Kronos and Montage).

Now I just have to figure out the speakers.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good specification home stereo will sound good with the Kronos, and it should have plenty of overhead to handle any large transients coming from the keyboard.

A budget home stereo system would be less likely to sound good.

One of the best sounding discotheques I ever heard used a pair of Wharfedale Dentons and a Quad 303 amplifier.

Schmooster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have to agree on that - it's not a 'cheap' home theatre system so unless he's trying to fill a ballroom I don't see how he can go wrong - and although the amps may be 'designed' to accept compressed signals they also handle uncompressed audio - especially through Aux inputs which a lot of people use for turntables and vinyl - nothing comes close to vinyl for fidelity - this is exactly how about 80% of 'home musicians' amp up anyway unless they've had any professional experience - to say it's no good is like saying an outdoor Arena PA won't work indoors. 50% of venues sound shite - I've been patched through the DJ's desk in a couple of places! I ripped one out and 'borrowed' the previous guitarists set-up (and blew his 200W amp with a W30) the fidelity is designed to suit the average 'home' - not Club. Then there's the massively subjective aspect of what's actually audible, perceivable audible and what really sounds good.
It is however true to say that 4Hz-80KHz gives the best audio "mix" but the 'audible' frequency range is a quarter of that - it's like painting, but with
sound.
30Hz is plenty low enough - although I'm an electronics engineer not a sound engineer and those guys take my perfectly balanced mix and rape it because they understand harmonics better - it amazes me the EQ settings that only 'work' when the final few frequencies have been fine tuned - it's an art.

Geez I'm an angry bastard lately.

Ask NormC about Vion and he'll maybe explain why I'm tapped. Wink
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certain my Klipschorn LaScala's on my "stereo" would sound great with the Kronos. So do my Mackie monitrors HR-824. Very Happy

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can speculate and contemplate but eventually it also boils down to the room acoustics. Bass management is one of the critical components. No matter the system.
Like I said before, the AVR systems usually are poor candidates for real time performance, due to their internal DSP and any latencies introduced.
In some AVR the straight mode has low latency an can be used but is not guaranteed.
You would be better off using a dedicated power amplifier with those speakers Or use a dedicated power amplifier with a speaker switcher Between AVR and Power Amp.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Is a PA going to have the same fidelity as a pair of home stereo tower speakers?

Also, the 8" and 10" Behringer EUROLIVE PAs have a frequency response of 65 Hz to 20 kHz.

The Yamaha home stereo towers have a frequency response of 30 Hz - 35 kHz.

Question

Absolutely. To begin with, most humans can't hear above 16k. 4K of headroom gives you that high end sizzle. Next, PA equipment is far more conservative in their estimates than home stereo stuff: PA designers are far more knowledgeable than the casual stereo buyers, so the makers are a little more "honest" about the specs. Look at all the computer speakers with "300 watts." You really believe a 1" woofer running off a wall wart has that much power?

Next, PA equipment has more wattage handling capacity. Again, because they're expecting a non-compressed signal, they're designed to be more resistant to blowing up when they get spiked by a transient, or some dirty power distorting the shape of the square wave. Additionally, they're designed to handle a much higher SPL than home speakers. That's the real danger- that your SPL (Sound Pressure Level) is too high, and the tweeters decide they can't handle it and have an episode. Most musicians don't get this- it's not the watts, it's the SPL that will take out your hearing: and SPL of 110dB at 100 watts will cause far more damage than an SPL of 75 dB at 500 watts.

Finally, truth be told, stereo equipment IS actually better than PA. But not dollar-for-dollar. I'm a home theater buff: I have a set of Acoustic Research reference speaker at the front end. They're low high-end level. When you get to that level, certainly, you can run your keyboards through them. But at 8 grand a pair, I'm certainly not going to. If you have the money to burn, though: go right ahead. I recommend McIntosh speakers, but don't go below the LCR80, They start at about 2 grand a pair, so they're still pretty cheap.

The years I was designing PAs for bands for a living, the one thing I learned is that the speakers are the most powerful thing in the rig- They are the item that handles the highest wattage, the highest SPL, and everything before them handle less, so that the chain is as strong as the weakest link- the speakers, which, as acoustic-mechanical devices, are the most prone to break and therefore, they have the highest rating: if they (truly) are rated for 500 watts, the power amp is never more than 300 watts; if they're midrange speakers, the crossover never goes above 500Hz, etc.

..Joe
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The soundguys I've dealt with all insist on having an amp that has slightly more power than the speaker (if it's not an active or tuned set). Not because you'd actually run them at full power but because the amplifier distortion you get near max power of a too weak amplifier is what sounds awful and actually kills the speaker.
bmtg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on more than the wattage ratings. Impedance, sensitivity and more come into play with matching speakers and amps. For guitar amps, you typically use amp wattage less than speaker wattage, because you will very often be transmitting heavy distortion to the speaker and that type of sound taxes it, so underpowering is good. For cleaner PA/studio type of monitoring, overpowering the amp is generally better, with the caution that you have to be careful about running the amp beyond what the speaker can take.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
The soundguys I've dealt with all insist on having an amp that has slightly more power than the speaker (if it's not an active or tuned set). Not because you'd actually run them at full power but because the amplifier distortion you get near max power of a too weak amplifier is what sounds awful and actually kills the speaker.

Why would you ever run a power amp at full power? Sure, after you turn it on, you turn it to full, but you never run the board at full. If you don't have enough volume, then someone really designed a bad system.

An example: one system I designed had the EAW dual 18" sub per side Power rating was 1000 watts per speaker, so 3200 watts total. For those I used 2 toroidal transformer AB Systems amps at 800 watts per side. The rest of the PA was similarly built, for a total about about 22,000 watts total power available, and an SPL of about105dB. Transients or dirty power could never blow them, but they could deliver that much power. If you haven't enough power (and remember, this is on subs only, so this was crossed over at 60 Hz.) then the soundman is doing something very very wrong.

..Joe
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get how you get to 3200Watts per side nor how an 800 watt amp powering them doesn't sound horrible, but sure.
Schmooster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to power home stereos are invariable stating peak output as a selling point - PA systems are RMS which is .707 of the peak to peak output - 70% roughly sustainable and few know the difference - so few it almost makes it a moot point.

So stfu then.

I'm going to. f*ck off.

You f*ck off.

We'll both f*ck off - in a minute.

When all's said and done an amp is an amp - you don't clean up the amped signal you amp up the clean signal. So get a mixer or EQ, some decent speakers to suit the size of the room and any quality Denon, Bose, Yamaha or whatever amp and sort the Kronos out when you power up. It's just for piano isn't it??

Nobody is gonna put a PA system in their home - it's not even a fair comparison anyway, they work at a whole different level and there's a lot of voltage involved - totally unnecessary at home, and pointless if you've no experience of a PA - but you do what you want. Really the setup should be designed around the room not visa Versa.
Go to Dawson's music rooms or something and get some advice - all you're getting here is opinion based on a distinct lack of information - not enough for anyone to make an educated assessment to guarantee the quality you're after - it all depends on your acoustic environment. The same system won't sound the same in a dozen different locations anyway.

Set your speakers in a concrete floor, fill them with rock-wool, put them on pins - there's a million things you can do but for what you're after you can't go 'that far wrong' that it matters enough to get specific detailed equipment specs. It's nonsense. You'd be better off going and getting a baby grand for the amount of cash you're looking at spending to achieve 'perfect fidelity' - I don't even know why you have a Kronos at this point.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I don't get how you get to 3200Watts per side nor how an 800 watt amp powering them doesn't sound horrible, but sure.

Sorry, I meant 3200 watts total- 1600 per side.

..Joe
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, Schmooster is right, it would really be best to try something out. We're all half guessing.

FWIW, I assumed a limited budget and was indicating one of those compact PAs like a HK Lukas nano. Or maybe even a Bose L1-like system. Not 2x15 inch speakers with a sub in the living room. But it would really be best to try it out. Maybe a local shop would let you bring your Kronos and play over a few sets?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: