Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

roland analoge SE-02 & FA-07 announced
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devnor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:

See, this is the problem- Players that haven't used AT are not aware of its capabilities, and then that ignorance leads to fewer keyboards with AT...

In case you're not aware, AT isn't only for "that little vibrato."

Do I really need to state all the possible AT destinations to get my point across?

It's easy to mis-understand the intelligence of the synth community because so many stupid things are said these days. Rest assured, players know what AT is all about. Like I said in my previous post, these kinds of decisions about features are about cost & weight - but primarily cost. You either need to figure out how to make this gear work for you or else, buy a more expensive machine.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any boutique users here.
I was thinking of getting a TB-03 ,but now this comes along?
Any thoughts?
I'm after a destinct voice to add to my selection.
I guess this will have lots of scope. Is the mother 32 preferable?
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from trying out the SE-02 in Glasgow. Amazingly thick, rich and powerful sounds. Delay (digital) acts a lot like space echo stuff. Feedback knob does amazing things! Sturdy build and knobs easily used despite Boutique size. Great sequencer (all the features of the System-8 one including recording knob movement). Pre-ordered Smile Delivery September-ish.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devnor wrote:
Do I really need to state all the possible AT destinations to get my point across?

It's easy to mis-understand the intelligence of the synth community because so many stupid things are said these days. Rest assured, players know what AT is all about. Like I said in my previous post, these kinds of decisions about features are about cost & weight - but primarily cost. You either need to figure out how to make this gear work for you or else, buy a more expensive machine.

Yes you do. because when you post something like "a little vibrato" as the use of AT, it tends to display a lack of knowledge. As you state, the Internet is vague. It's quite easy to mistake brevity for ignorance.

And as to cost, right now is the lowest prices in the history of synthesizers. My Prophet-10 cost me 8 grand. My Emulator III was 9 grand. A Korg M1 was 2 grand, as was a DX7, and a D50. All except the P10 came with AT standard- the technology was too old - it had nothing except its awesome sound. What's that in today's dollars? A lot more than the cost here and now- probably in the 4 grand range.

My opinion is that players aren't capable enough to use it properly, as they're more interested in one finger playing than having the knowledge how to invoke timbre or modulation for dynamics, so they don't "need" it. I also think it's kind of sissy girly-boys if weight is an issue. If it's too heavy to carry, learn the penny whistle (which is actually an awesome instrument to play!) and let he men - and women that make these guys look so sissy - play keys.

Cost isn't factor here- it's less than ever before.

..Joe
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love AT, Poly AT, Release velocity something I didn't think mattered until I tried my RP3-1 with the Kronos X61. Couldn't quite put my finger on the difference until I found out what was missing. Do others notice, I don't know but I did and I lay to please me. Poly AT or just AT should be on every board, all of mine do not have it. The minilogue and Karp don't but I play them form a controller that does when I want it, the Kronos or my Rise. I won't buy another controller without MPE preferably the 5d like Roli has. I was considering a Linstrument but in reading it seem it is 3d. I will pass for now.

I absolutely have not even begun to scratch the surface of all that can be done with AT or Poly At or even release velocity but I sure do enjoy trying. I also Think Joe is correct to a point in supporting these products without we are condoning the manufacture of products lacking these things. I vote with my wallet most of the time but not always, obviously because the slim keys do not bother me and I am considering a Roli Seaboard block. Like others have mentioned I do use these items as desk top modules and the built in slim keys are just extra incase I have a need for its use. I am happy the software may times allows for the things I like but I do wish all the keybeds were fully compatible with their software.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Channel AT I can see doing without, you can do the same thing with a pedal. Poly AT is a different matter, that is expressive. Release velocity as well.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobTheDog wrote:
Channel AT I can see doing without, you can do the same thing with a pedal. Poly AT is a different matter, that is expressive. Release velocity as well.

I just like having it under my fingers. I actually don't have any pedals.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Well it's taken them years to decide a 76-key model might sell and throw in a fairly minor OS update in the mix.

It's a pretty significant update. I'd find seamless sound switching, different pad modes for different studio sets, and the MIDI controller functions to be very useful. What would you have liked to have seen (that you think is likely to be do-able within the constraints of the current hardware)?

Personally, the presence of a 76-key version (with improved action besides) along with those 2.0 updates may in fact be enough to make me buy one, whereas I had no interest in buying an FA before.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
karmathanever wrote:
Well it's taken them years to decide a 76-key model might sell and throw in a fairly minor OS update in the mix.

It's a pretty significant update. I'd find seamless sound switching, different pad modes for different studio sets, and the MIDI controller functions to be very useful. What would you have liked to have seen (that you think is likely to be do-able within the constraints of the current hardware)?

Again, without AT, the "controller" functions aren't.

..Joe
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
Again, without AT, the "controller" functions aren't

Honestly, I think that's silly. Yes, I wish it had AT. But (a) NO software upgrade was going to give the board aftertouch. And (b) there are tons of boards people use as controllers that don't have AT, it doesn't make their controller functions useless by any means. And (c) its MIDI controller functions were SO lame before, that even what they have added is a huge improvement. I'd say there's a bigger difference between being able to fully integrate external sounds and not, than there is between being able to integrate external sounds with vs. without AT.
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoiler alert here there was a lil sneek view of a roland SH-101 module allegedly.

Dunno how long that going to get up so.

https://youtu.be/aM2ocX8e-9Y?t=7m9s

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_SamDoogie wrote:
Spoiler alert here there was a lil sneek view of a roland SH-101 module allegedly.

It's a no-go for me unless it's available in grey & red too. Oh, and it had better come with a teeny, tiny modulation grip Wink
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadwave wrote:
Mr_SamDoogie wrote:

It's a no-go for me unless it's available in grey & red too. Oh, and it had better come with a teeny, tiny modulation grip Wink

Imagine that rejoice you're wish came true sort of Laughing .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9emfNR2BeV4

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: