Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New hardcase, now need more muscles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
holdsg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: New hardcase, now need more muscles Reply with quote

I thought I could get away with using one of the SKB lightweight/cordura nylon cases for my K2 73. like this one:

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/advsearch.php?case-search=by+gear&type=0&brand=Korg&model=Kronos+73

I got about 2 years of wear out of it, but eventually it started to break down. handles tearing away, holes wearing thru the interior, etc. Clearly the SKB case is a bit overwhelmed by the weight of the Kronos. I use essentially the same SKB case for my Hammond SK1 that weighs all of 15 lbs, and there are no issues with wear on that one.

So when it came time to replace the SKB, I looked for more sturdy options. I ended up with the Gator deep case here, deep because the normal one is not deep/tall enough. This one here:

http://gatorcases.com/products/keyboard/tsa-ata-keyboard-cases/tsa-keyboard/deep-76-note-keyboard-case-w-wheels-gtsa-key76d/

I'm very happy with how my K2 73 fits (like a glove) into the Gator. Looks like it will serve me well. I've had it for about a month now, and no problems. The only thing I am not thrilled about is that the case alone weighs 30lbs, so when you throw in 50lbs of Kronos, it is heavy. I'm 54, not getting any younger.

such is life, I suppose, if I want to protect my investment.
Devnor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same Gator except in a 61 key. Damn nice case but like you said, very heavy with the synth inside.
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya, guys. I've been toting my Pa3x in that Gator case for a few years - built like a tank, and nearly as heavy as one. I just switched to a Levy's bag. The weight is about 6 lbs. That's great an' all, but I'm gonna have to be extra careful nothing gets bashed.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the Korg hard case, and it is fine - not that I am testing it to destruction with my gig frequency. My argument is that with a £3K keyboard, i want the manufacturer's purpose designed HARD case, even if you pay a little extra - esp with that potentially fragile touch screen. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, to be 54 again...at 65 with a history of back problems and back surgery, I have to be cautious when lifting and carrying my gear. I've downsized my amplification toward that end, but there's no downsizing the Kronos.

First, I had a wheeled custom case built. It's only 1/4" plywood, but for transporting by car it's enough protection. Being custom-built, the fit is near-perfect. Best of all, it weighs only 20 pounds versus the previous plastic case that was over 30 lb. Still pretty heavy with the Kronos inside, though.

Then I added the best piece of non-musical kit I've ever invested in: a Rock 'n Roller 12RT cart. It's got big enough wheels to roll over almost any terrain (e.g. gravel parking lots and curbs), and the wheels are squishy enough to give my stuff a smooth ride. It folds up compactly and can hold 500 lb.

But the greatest benefit is I can move my entire rig in one trip, with minimal back strain. I lay some floor monitors on the cart first, then place the Kronos case atop them, which eliminates stooping when inserting and removing the keyboard from the case.
holdsg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, Bitflipper, I use one of those too for the schlep from SUV to venue.

it certainly is a first world problem, isn't it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: