Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos LS and aftertouch
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrpanoff

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
mrpanoff wrote:
KK wrote:

It's quite likely the LS action uses a diode matrix, otherwise it would end up with way too many wires, a totally different logic, etc.

So do you think a qualified tech can scan these matrices and make them work together?

The Triton uses dedicated KLM-2332 and KLM-2331 boards to fit the Fatar, but the KLM-2089 SCAN BOARD can be directly connected to a Yamaha FS-E76 type keyboard.

It's complicated. You have to find a tech good at logic circuits to compare/define the custom rows/columns/phantoms arrangement of both units (note that he might need to design a custom "fitting circuit" to match both). He might also need to match the op-amp AT circuit on the unit you want to modify. Call your local music stores, sometimes they have guys with lots of experience.

Of course, a much simpler and less risky/expensive solution would be to MIDI control one synth with the other.

Sure, even if the guy knows what he does, the need for the custom extra circuit kinda dissuades from the idea.

Do you think a Fatar TP/8 76 semi-weighted key matrix is fully compatible with the 88-key Fatar TP-30 TP-40 hammer-weighted type inputs? If that's not the case, perhaps the contact boards themselves can be swapped given the key width is the same, can't they?

It seems the PA-X series has preserved the same old-style two-ribbon Aftertouch layout and controller scheme: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=42753&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

On the other hand, the LS 88 is said to have a much lighter touch than both TP/8 types found in PA4X and Kurzweil PC3K7. I wonder if it's plausible to have a tech make a MIDI-controller out of an LS then, if it ultimately doesn't fit the Triton. Korg wouldn't approve that no doubt.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the other hand, the LS 88 is said to have a much lighter touch than both TP/8 types found in PA4X

It was this that was the showstopper for me - the keys are way too light for me and coming from the Kronos-61 and PA4X-76 really spoilt me in terms of semi-weighted keybeds.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
omvibraphone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a pedal solution for the LS88 aftertouch issue? I know of the Midi Solutions Pedal Controller box, but has anyone used an appropriate solution which utilizes one of the USB inputs on the LS rather than the midi in input?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simpler solution would be to get the Korg EXP-2 pedal and set it to control whatever parameter you wish in any program.
omvibraphone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can see, looking through both the foot switch assign and foot pedal assign menus in the Controllers section, neither offers the option for aftertouch.
In additions, I read here that the ls can only receive aftertouch via midi input. Is this correct? If so, would prefer a solution that utilizes one of the USB inputs, rather than the sole midi in input.
Anyone?
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omvibraphone wrote:
As far as I can see, looking through both the foot switch assign and foot pedal assign menus in the Controllers section, neither offers the option for aftertouch.

That's true, but... Aftertouch alone does nothing until it's assigned in a program (or an FX setting) to control something. So it's a matter of finding and re-assigning those aftertouch settings to the Korg expression pedal, which was KK's point I believe. You then just need to save your edited program and you'll have all the functionality of what was aftertouch via the pedal. Is it ideal? Probably not, as it will take a bit of time to edit everything you need. But it'll work if you need it to.

Another option would be to use an AMS Mixer within a program to combine two sources, one of which is aftertouch, so that one controller scales the other. I think it's the Amt AxB mixer, but I'd have to test it and I'm out of time right now. Also, not an ideal option, I know. Just throwing that out there...

Otherwise, there must be plenty of usb midi foot controllers... I don't use any and so can't recommend one, but I would suggest reading up on what's out there.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omvibraphone wrote:

That's not how it works. In global mode, you simply tell how the pedals are available for everything else. So if you choose something "precise" like Ribbon at CC#16, then the EXP-2 will also do what the Ribbon is programmed to do in whichever program, whatever it is, like VCF cutoff, etc. If you instead choose CC#04, it is then the more "vague" control container for the foot pedal, usually not linked to anything in the factory programs. This way, you won't interfere with anything else already defined if ever, and then you assign the VCF cutoff, expression, or spaghetti sauce spice amount to it in any program you want, so that the link is complete between the pedal (assigned via global) and the thing you want to control (in the program). Obviously, if the Kronos LS is not equipped with aftertouch under the keys, you have to imagine the pedal becomes the aftertouch in the list.

In other words, if I choose Volume or Knob8 for the EXP-2 pedal in global, then this is the only "precise" thing the pedal will do for ALL programs. This is also why all factory CX-3 programs control expression by default. Because the CX-3 engine expression section is initially assigned to CC#04. Of course, you can change this setting in any CX-3 program if you want. Same if the EXP-2 pedal is not assigned to CC#04 in global - then the pedal won't control expression of unaltered factory CX-3 programs. In short, you can decide everything.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a breath controller might be another way to send aftertouch messages to the LS.
omvibraphone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@voip, kk, HardSync, thanks for your comments and advice, it's appreciated. I'll look into what you advised.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: