Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brass Crescendo?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Brass Crescendo? Reply with quote

I am trying to recreate the crescendo of the EXS 16 expansion "Sfrozando Trombones" program on other brass programs. (The old Triton "Brass of Power" program had the same effect.)

I have adjusted every velocity/level/time/curve parameter on other horns with no luck.

Just looking to have the notes increase in volume over time for a bit more natural brass dynamic.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that that one is actually sampled. Try modeling the "sfz brass" program instead.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horns do not only change in volume, their harmonics change as they get louder too. I would use a filter that changes with the volume.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Brass Crescendo? Reply with quote

barnboy wrote:
I have adjusted every velocity/level/time/curve parameter on other horns with no luck.

Just looking to have the notes increase in volume over time for a bit more natural brass dynamic.

There are two methods used in the Sfrozando Trombones program, so you have a choice. First method is that the OSC 1 brass sample is recorded that way, so it doesn't matter what curves, etc. that you use.

There are SFZ (or "sfp") samples for sax, trumpets, and trombones. Look for the "sfp" designation. "Loop" means the brass sound keeps sustaining after the rise, while the non-looped versions do the crescendo, then stop naturally. Of course, tp is trumpet, and tb is trombone.

OSC 2 uses the other method, which is to shape a sustained sample with the Amp and Filter.

I would use OSC 2 (use COPY OSCILLATOR or SWAP), as a template for programs that don't have SFP samples. Just select whatever other brass samples you want to use there.
Schmooster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's a handy tutorial Mike - aftertouch could make that Amp and filter transition work maybe - also you get some rasping or growl from horns as well as amplitude, the ribbon would work for any of these combinations of changes. Is if not more of a 'swell' than crescendo? I've always called them swells - that might explain why nobody can orchestrate them for me Confused
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schmooster wrote:
Wow that's a handy tutorial Mike - aftertouch could make that Amp and filter transition work maybe - also you get some rasping or growl from horns as well as amplitude, the ribbon would work for any of these combinations of changes. Is if not more of a 'swell' than crescendo? I've always called them swells

Swell is probably a better term. And, yes, aftertouch and ribbon will work. A lot of factory programs, like "Thin Brass," use the -Y stick. Pull it toward you and slowly go back for the swell effect.

You can also use a 2 oscillator program and have a pianissimo mono trumpet fade into a stereo fortissimo trumpet section, or such, without using filters. The filters are very effective though.

Keep in mind that the above program and samples are from optional EXs 16.
barnboy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info everyone- thank you. Tried the ribbon but it seems a bit touchy at the top of the note. (Maybe just my big fat sausage finger.) And I'm going with "swell" from here on out. Thanks!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably go with sforzando as that's the official name. Unless you mean start soft and swell, without the initial attack sforzando has.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: