Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA600 tutorial

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronieaz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: PA600 tutorial Reply with quote

Hello. New to this and all forums. I do a lot of photography and can find scads of tutorials/workshops on YouTube/Amazon to teach me about any camera/equipment or photography itself. Only thing I'm seeing on YouTube regarding my PA600 is, wow it makes a lot of sounds played by people with fast fingers, something I was not blessed with. I write my own songs and would like to record them for posterity.
Currently, I pick out my melody on the Maudio midi hooked to the macbookpro, then record into Sibelius to get the sheet music. I repeat the process until it sounds close to right. Then I use the written music, goto the Korg to figure out my chords using one finger. Find a style, tempo, alter instruments. Usually I go to QuickRecord for the accompaniment first then play it while recording the right hand. Dump it into Reason finally and may add a vocal.
I am looking for good tutorials on how to actually USE the functions and features of an arranger keyboard. The Korg video manual is basic and got me started.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of these might help you:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=105253

There's even few references to notation software somewhere in there as well.

tacman7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The traditional use for an arranger keyboard was the live performer because it can provide all the backing needed.

Adding an arranger to a modern DAW setup opens up a myriad of possibilities.

Not really the mainstream use so not a lot of vids about it.

I send midi clock to the PA and sync it up so it can play along with the computer sequencer. Most important thing there is get to know the midi inputs and outputs in the global section. I've been able to do most everything I wanted to do by reading the manual and trying to understand how the machine functions and how it functions in relation to the computer sequencer.
Lot of things I deemed too much hassle after I figured out how to do them though.

Only thing I do now is write a song in Studio One then go to the PA and get it to compose me a bass part. (I send it whole note chords to guide the style) then I record the audio output into S1.
It also a good keyboard (input device) for playing VSTi's etc.
ronieaz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tacman7 and SamCA for the comebacks.
In the case of SamCA - I guess I should be careful what I ask for. You sent me a lot of reading/watching.
Tacman, you said arrangers are mostly for performers - I didn't know that. I'm always seeing Rudess use a Kronos workstation that gets hooked to external sound systems. Maybe I should be looking for a workstation instead.
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronieaz wrote:
Thanks Tacman7 and SamCA for the comebacks.
In the case of SamCA - I guess I should be careful what I ask for. You sent me a lot of reading/watching.
Tacman, you said arrangers are mostly for performers - I didn't know that. I'm always seeing Rudess use a Kronos workstation that gets hooked to external sound systems. Maybe I should be looking for a workstation instead.

If you go the workstation route, you will need to become a more accomplished player than using just one finger to figure out chords. unless, your music is more dance or DJ oriented. IMO

Traditional chord and melody based music can be more easily created using an arranger than a workstation if you are just learning. Music playing like photography takes practice and time with your equipment or instrument to become proficient. Since you already have the PA600, I would go with that for the time being and see how that pans out. Both arrangers and workstations can and are used by performers. Arrangers are used by "solo" performers more than in a band format with other musicians. It would be more difficult to use a workstation as a solo performer, but not impossible. Hope this helps.

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitecrawler wrote:
If you go the workstation route, you will need to become a more accomplished player..

That's the keyword right there!

tacman7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use the mo6 and then the mox6 because they have midi loops (phrases) built in but I get a lot more out of an arranger.

I'm a guitar player and a beginning keyboardist. I can play Snoopy song from Charlie Brown, just not very well and that ends my repertoire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa600/Pa300 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: