Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Live Arranging On Kronos, Need HELP!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pogus49455

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Live Arranging On Kronos, Need HELP! Reply with quote

Hello all,

I hope that I am putting my question in the right spot. I just bought a Kronos and I have an issue that I am trying to figure out.

I play in a band that uses backing tracks to aid in our performance. In times past we used to use a laptop running DAWs (Studio One, Ableton). One day the computer just went out in the middle of the show, YIKES! So I broke down and bought a Kronos.

The issue is that the kind of music I play is danced to and we improvise the arrangement based on if people are dancing or not. For example, I might want to take the song back to the intro or go to a chorus to make the song longer (on the fly). With Ableton, you are able to launch clips or parts of songs/loops. In Studio One, I would just loop the song from the end of a Chorus to the Intro and just eliminate the loop when I was ready to end the song and let the track play to completion.

Now I am relying only on the SEQ in Kronos. Is there a way (even through SysEx) to go to various locations in a song? I was using the LOCATE button, and setting it to a specific measure towards the begining, but it doesn't Save/Load with the SEQ file so I have to individually redo all of the LOCATE points. Not to mention that it is limiting me from going to any other specific spots in the song.

If SysEx is the answer, how do I send the info without the need of a computer? I have a Novation Impulse with pads on it... maybe there is a CC# number or something that would allow me to do this...

Anyone have any ideas?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Live Arranging On Kronos, Need HELP! Reply with quote

pogus49455 wrote:
Hello all,

I hope that I am putting my question in the right spot. I just bought a Kronos and I have an issue that I am trying to figure out.

I play in a band that uses backing tracks to aid in our performance. In times past we used to use a laptop running DAWs (Studio One, Ableton). One day the computer just went out in the middle of the show, YIKES! So I broke down and bought a Kronos.

The issue is that the kind of music I play is danced to and we improvise the arrangement based on if people are dancing or not. For example, I might want to take the song back to the intro or go to a chorus to make the song longer (on the fly). With Ableton, you are able to launch clips or parts of songs/loops. In Studio One, I would just loop the song from the end of a Chorus to the Intro and just eliminate the loop when I was ready to end the song and let the track play to completion.

Now I am relying only on the SEQ in Kronos. Is there a way (even through SysEx) to go to various locations in a song? I was using the LOCATE button, and setting it to a specific measure towards the begining, but it doesn't Save/Load with the SEQ file so I have to individually redo all of the LOCATE points. Not to mention that it is limiting me from going to any other specific spots in the song.

If SysEx is the answer, how do I send the info without the need of a computer? I have a Novation Impulse with pads on it... maybe there is a CC# number or something that would allow me to do this...

Anyone have any ideas?

I use the SEQ quite a bit. I am not sure the workaround ( set up SONGS as different parts) I am thinking of is a good approach.

While I don't use RPPR, my guess is that could be the way to go. There are folks here the rely on RPPR. Give them a few days to post.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a video of me entering the measure numbers on the keypad. If you can anticipate a beat, this works just fine.

If you want to take this even further, you can add dynamic effects, like a delay and pitch shifter, controlled with the joystick. Push or pull the joystick and press the sequencer stop button, for some cool transition.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My honest advice would be to go back to Ableton and have a backup in place. The backup could even be just an iPod with a "survival" set on it. I use Ableton lots and it has never broken down on me Live. It is way, way more flexible than anything you could make the Kronos sequencer do. Which, by the way, is also a computer that can crash.
AdDeRoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually with an app-developer designing an IPAD application for flexible playback (like an arranger) of backingtracks, for use on instruments like Kronos.

Would this suit your needs?

Current gear : Korg Kronos 88 (SN 0979) / Nektar LX88+ / Korg PA2X / Kurzweil K2500R / Korg Nanopad2 / Neo Ventilator / Akai EWI USB / Cantabile / Reaper / Cakewalk / Reason / way too many VST's
pogus49455

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdDeRoo wrote:
I am actually with an app-developer designing an IPAD application for flexible playback (like an arranger) of backingtracks, for use on instruments like Kronos.

That could possibly work... this morning I have been taking advice from here and there. Some Songs are so long that they don't need repeating so I just use SEQ as a standard "hit play and go" but on other songs I have sampled sections of my songs from within my DAW and exported them out to WAV>Korg Sampler>Multisample>Convert To Program. Now what I'm doing different is this:

Say I have one PRG with a Rhythm Guitar and my parts are mapped out Chromatically (preference) as Intro, Verses, Chorus, Outro
I now have a PRG with a Sax part mapped exactly the same way
and for measure, a PRG with an audio Click track mapped out the same way.

I load them all up with my sounds in a Combi (or in my case the SEQ because that's where I started working) Put all of the "Track Sample" PRG on a specific MIDI Channel (I used 3) Mapped my MIDI controller's Pads to trigger those Notes on Ch 3 and Vuala... Everything is in sync and all the parts are firing.

The reason I did it this way is that I can have independent control over each sound in real time, have different Insert FX (Verb for Sax and Chorus for Guitar), and I can put the Click to an independent output.

Last thing is as I was searching for answer on how to make all of this happen I saw that you can stream samples from the SSD instead of loading to RAM. That really does help. So I think I found the Fix guys! Thanks for the help!
pogus49455

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdDeRoo wrote:

That could possibly work... this morning I have been taking advice from here and there. Some Songs are so long that they don't need repeating so I just use SEQ as a standard "hit play and go" but on other songs I have sampled sections of my songs from within my DAW and exported them out to WAV>Korg Sampler>Multisample>Convert To Program. Now what I'm doing different is this:

Say I have one PRG with a Rhythm Guitar and my parts are mapped out Chromatically (preference) as Intro, Verses, Chorus, Outro
I now have a PRG with a Sax part mapped exactly the same way
and for measure, a PRG with an audio Click track mapped out the same way.

I load them all up with my sounds in a Combi (or in my case the SEQ because that's where I started working) Put all of the "Track Sample" PRG on a specific MIDI Channel (I used 3) Mapped my MIDI controller's Pads to trigger those Notes on Ch 3 and Vuala... Everything is in sync and all the parts are firing.

The reason I did it this way is that I can have independent control over each sound in real time, have different Insert FX (Verb for Sax and Chorus for Guitar), and I can put the Click to an independent output.

Last thing is as I was searching for answer on how to make all of this happen I saw that you can stream samples from the SSD instead of loading to RAM. That really does help. So I think I found the Fix guys! Thanks for the help!
Peas&Carrots

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for a solution for this for a good while now.

A song marker locate function would be a very good addition but it isn't there and SysEx isn't the answer.

BUT there is ANOTHER way to do this...

Using the Karma Software and Karma Templates - this has recently been fixed! see: http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20988

In short, split your song down into sections that Karma can handle or faithfully reproduce then convert each of these into a Karma template. Next allocate each template to a Karma Scene button. Remember that in Combi mode there are 4 Karma modules which can run 4 different instruments or tacks (you can even further split each of these into different tracks or instruments)

Note: Please do not confuse this with the regular Karma Scene changes - each scene is a completely separate user specified pattern (i.e. not just a single pattern with Karma modifications)

By doing this you can hold on to your song sections as long as you want then change the Karma scene buttons to move on to whichever section you want next (up to 8 Karma scenes each comprising 3 individual sections that can be turned on and off as you like - plus you can incorporate some Karma magic too if you want) PLUS the karma scene changes can be set to change exactly on the bar so you can't accidentally throw the whole thing out of sync with other band members etc.

Also with karma templates you could use a scene to switch between a simple GE pattern (or sequence) to a gated effect of your exact specification (plus others) - this really does have potential!!!

There are limitations to the length of the song section that Karma can handle but that shouldn't be too much of a problem with dance music Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: