Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommend the Kaossilator Pro+ for a beginner?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael221

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Recommend the Kaossilator Pro+ for a beginner? Reply with quote

Hi,

So I'm a comedic improviser, rapper and singer. I'm currently in a hip hop improvised rap group that plays around the city.

My goal is to make bass-y hip hop beats live on the streets, loop them, and then sing and rap to it. I saw a guy at a musical festival doing this live with the KO PRO+ ,a KP3, and other instruments of the sort, like a drum pad. He even gave me the mic when I told him I was a rapper, let me spit...and made me sound dope.

I asked him how I could start doing something like where I'm from and he recommended that I start off with the KO PRO+ to learn beat making. And then get more instruments down the road if I'm still interested, like the KP3.

So ultimately, while I would eventually like to produce phat beats on my mac book pro with a DAW and Midi Controller...and make my own rap mixtape to upload...right now, I'm more interested in doing fun hip hop rap, live on the streets. (Think Reggie Watts or Beardyman.)

I just want to play around with making my own beats, in my bedroom...and get good enough to perform improvised hip hop live with it.

I actually just bought the KAO PRO+ and am having fun with it (love the voice modulation it has and all the random beats I'm making and looping)...but before I spend 300 + hours learning how to use it...I just wanted to see if I'm choosing the best first instrument for what I wanna do. Or should I send it back to Amazon and start with a different instrument?

Thank you so much for any advice!!

~Michael

Last edited by Michael221 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say yes buddy!
Unless you get a cheap Kaossilator original or ko2 and get a KP3 to record the loops into.
Or get this KO pro ,then the kp3 and a kp mini.
Generally I would recommend these kaoss products for what you describe in general yes. They are so accessable and tactictile. Not very technical.
PurpleSpaceMan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a kaossilator pro+, great for looping and beat boxing, but for you I would check out groove boxes and samplers, like the electribes or MPCs
Michael221

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Spheric and PurpleSpace Man! Super appreciate it.

PurpleSpace, are you saying I should check out the electribe or the MPCs instead of the KAO PRO+...or would this be in addition to it?

Right now, I just want to start with one instrument, Beardyman it in my own way, and get really good at it. Then from there, add on a second instrument.

I also saw a loop machine called a Boss RC-505 which looked really dope. And someone also recommended a Roland mc-909 to me. AND another guy recommended the OP-1 and claimed that's what Reggie Watts uses. Heck, I was even reading that Reggie uses something called an Electro-Harmonix 45000 4-Track Looper pedal.

Haha there's so much out there, and I just want to make sure I'm starting with the right instrument for what I want to do. Right now I have the KAO PRO+...but before I get deep into it, just wanna make sure I'm investing my time and money wisely...ultimately understanding the best investment is in myself...not necessarily the amount of gear that I have.

But yeah, just wanna Beardyman it on the streets of my city...taking my improv and rap skills to the next musical level, solo.

Super appreciate it again everybody!

Last edited by Michael221 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael221

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s.

Spheric, when you say KP mini, are you referring to this?

http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/mini_kaoss_pad2/

So my rig would consist of the KO PRO+...get good at that. Then add the KP3...get good at that...and then add on the KP2 mini?

I saw someone on youtube who has a KO PRO+, KP3, and Pad Quad set-up, and he crushed an improvised, looped hip hop set. And I thought, ok...so I guess I can add the Pad Quad to the list down the road. Although from searching, looks like they don't sell the Pad Quad anymore...and the KP2 mini would be better than a Pad Quad?

Ultimately, I want my voice (singing, rapping, beatboxing, etc.) to be a HUGE part of my live, improvised performance...and any beats I make are just there to underscore my voice. Haha in the hope that they are phat, awesome, groovy hip hop beats that people can get down to.

Also, for the improvised rap show I'm a part of, we usually have a beatboxer on the mic. I think it would be awesome, when I'm the one to beatbox, to have one of these instruments backing me up to make the beat that much more jamming. Voice beats being looped with awesome sounds backing it up.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not used the rc505 . It looks like a nice looper. Indervid faders per loop and 5 loops is it? But the kp is a brilliant looper ,plus you can jam those samples in unique kp3 fashion or play samples as one shots- all sorts. Resampling dead easy and a ton of effects to freq it out.
I would say the kp mini 2 is better than the quad. The fx are more advanced . The vocoder is the best if the lot and the grain synth too. You don't get many of these fx but the others are slicker too. Distortions nice.
I think the kp3 is better than the ko pro, but that's just me. You do need a synth/drum source ,but if you score a cheap kaossilator 1 or 2 then grab it ,then get a kp3. I say this coz the looper is best on kp3 I believe. The effects certaintly and those mini kaossilators are nice too-just fire them at kp3. Easy to loop in the kp3 with or switch to Mic input.
The 2nd kaoss pad can come later.
Notice beardyman has 4 kp3s and one ko pro ,then maybe a synth . (if it ain't broke don't fix it..)
I have two kp3s with two kp mini 1s on their outputs and a kp mini 2 for any synth I'm using . I also have two kaossilators original (love the original) but only need one coz the kp3s can sample it ,and I have a kaossilator 2 also (drums are better on this- but that's about it imho). Well worth the money if the price is tight (£50) - that's for any of the mini's.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ps yes that's the mini kp2 I was on about. It also comes with an "s" added to its name. This means added sample function, but the fx are the same in both (the best).
Michael221

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much again Spheric El!

So it seems like you're saying I should return my KO Pro+, and instead get a kaossilator 2. Get proficient on that KO2, and add in the KP3.

KO2 + KP3 > than the KO Pro+ and KP3.

Then if I want, throw in the kp mini 2 after I get proficient with the KO2 + KP3 combo. And with all this, I'll be able to Beardyman and make dope beats in my own unique way.

Whew, ok...I think this makes sense.

Thanks again Spheric El!

Just curious, why do you like the KO2 more than the KO Pro+ for beats/synth origination? Better, heavier hip hop sounds?
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need mini jack to phonos to connect these little mini2s to your kp3s or ko pro . Also not as robust as original mini's ,but hay.

Speaking of mini jacks ... The OP-1 is another amazing device. It takes more time to grasp ,but can do so much (weird) stuff. The KPs make music quicker and easier for me ,but the OP1 is the best synth ,with tape machine, drums ,sampler,cool sequencers. Truly the best synth for fun and jams. The sound takes work but it spitts thing others couldn't . It's a whole work flow. Having said that it does cultivate a hands on ,non technical approach.
One to aim for. It's an instrument you will mature with, and it is truely an instrument.
If you want few bits of gear to do the most, get this. Tiny foot print. Will so.compliment your artistry.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's my advice ...but I've never used the ko pro.
I say this to save cost and I've heard problems with the looping system on ko pro. For vocals I recommend the kp3.
But you may do well with the ko pro first. It's just the minis are great and the arps (which are a large part of your grooves ) are different on each model. Possible the best on the original mini. (ive read the odd complaint about the change of arp on pro).
This is your call. The pro may be best for you. The original mini still rock and is my favorite, but I feel the drums are limiting for your style - they are all electronic ,while there is nice drum samples on the mini2 and pro.
It was all about the looping really ,why I say kp3 not pro, plus fx and I like the arp on mini's ,plus money saver.
Michael221

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't thank you enough Spheric El. Thank you for taking the time to talk this out with me.

I think what I'll do is just stick with the KO-Pro+ for now. Just because I have it and have already started learning how to use it. Honestly, I was starting to lose my excitement because lots of reviews made me feel like I was learning to use a "toy" and I got worried that I'd be limited in being able to make those banging beats that I wanted.

But with 250 sounds, which can be manipulated via an expansive octave and key range, the ability to record my voice, loop it, and modulate it...I think it might just do the trick. Especially when I throw the KP3 into the mix.

Seems like there's an endless amount of gear out there that have variations on exactly what I'd like to do. (Improvise a jam live on the street.)

And in the end, it's the talent of the user...not the instrument itself that will dictate if the people wanna get down to my music.

Really, I just wanted some confirmation that I'm heading down the right direction by starting off with the KO Pro+. And it sounds like I most likely am...even though there's more expensive, better instruments out there that might be better in the long run if I stick with this. (OP-1, MC-909 Roland, etc.)

Thanks so much again!

~Michael
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've made the right decision Smile
Over all I think the kp pro is best for what you do ,Mic and line in. Extra controls for octave etc. Plus the sounds are bound to be good on that.

I must add I've not used the kaoss pad 3+ and the fx may be as good as the kp mini 2 . Also the extra controls on kp3 rule over the mini's. Another reason why the kp pro may be best (over mini's ) for you.

Good luck.stay in touch,interested how you get on.
Michael221

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thanks again Spheric!

Haha, so a complete turn of events. Went to Guitar Center, explained to pro audio guy (who's a professional music composer, beat maker, etc.) what my goals are.

So, he actually got me to return my KO-PRO+, and instead get the MPC Live. It's pricey, but it's a beast. I can make music on the fly with it (once I spend a few hundred hours learning the ins and outs)...but I can also use it as a stand alone DAW should I want to produce professional sounding music down the road. The KO-PRO+ seemed limited in that regard, and honestly, the sounds aren't AS hard hitting on the KO-PRO+ as they are on the MPC Live.

That said, I will probably still buy the KP3 as an addition to the MPC Live for my live, street performances, so I can easily scrub the beat and add effects to my voice.

But thanks again for all of your guidance...I found it extremely helpful!

~Michael
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha . In that case deffo keep us posted how you get on.
I must admit the kp3 - I would feel safer takin that out side on the street, for its rebust simplicity.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I was a bit distacted by a friend last night. I take that back. The mpc live looks excellent and with battery operation it should be amazing on the street Very Happy Happy beatmaking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: