Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos libraries question...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Kronos libraries question... Reply with quote

Hi guys

So so sorry as I know this has been asked before but couldn't find a topic.
I have the original KK with several library purchases
I am considering selling and buying a KK2

Is there any way of re-licensing my purchases onto my KK2 or do I have to "buy again"?
I am assuming the answer still remains as NO as I would understand that it would be hard to prove the removal of the KK1 libraries

Cheers

Pete Very Happy[/b]
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos libraries question... Reply with quote

This is a very interesting question. Korg would have a library selling bonanza, if they just sold the codes to the user's account, and s/he could use the library for his/her "registered" Kroni.

at the beginning, I swore off of the libraries (because of this one Kronos policy), but lo and behold, I've amassed a few and they are great! My Kronos is more of a beast with them.

As per your question, you should contact Korg Support, directly. Just think, Korg saying, "yes, we can", would usually result in a sure sale of another Kronos, each time.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just think, Korg saying, "yes, we can", would usually result in a sure sale of another Kronos, each time

Good point Mike....
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish Korg would do something about this. I was thinking of swapping my X61 for a new 73, but unless I could sell my 61 at a price that allows me to repurchase the libraries, then it is a NOGO.

There has to be a way of deauthorising the libraries and putting them on another (single) machine.

Not the end of the world as the Kronos 61 is still a great second tier machine, so I just need to replace my aging EX5 with something that is good for a bottom tier. But I would have quite liked a 73 Kronos on the bottom and I could have gone for something like a new Prophet or Virus on top.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to clarify a bigger picture. The sample Libs are not all about Korg

Its about all the 3rd party developers. I doubt they are getting rich.

True, Korg gets some kind of licensing cut.

I run a small business so my sentiments are to advocate small businesses.

There prices will come down over time and they will offer specials sometimes.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Greg. For the people who posted in this thread, so far, it's not about the prices at all. Never was.

To your point, Korg would sell more libraries and more Kronos boards, if there was a clear transfer policy. Kind of like a Reauthorization for an I.D., which you can get on the website where you registered.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Greg

Appreciate your point (as a developer and seller of IP myself), but I am with Mike. I have paid my dues to the people who have made these wonderful libraries. What I would wish to do is to de-authorise and remove these libraries from a Kronos I was selling (i.e. Back in factory state) and put what I have paid for on a new Kronos. There is no net loss in this use case.

This is no different to the software I have licensed on a Steinberg eLicenser such as Korg Legacy Cell which I have had since 2006, but I have upgraded the computer I run it on three times. I.e. There is an easy means to transfer the single license I have in this case.

I must confess I purchased my first Kronos Library (Sharp's first one) before I realised the restriction.

Just to be 100% clear, I would NEVER condone ripping and sharing either software or sound sets. I quite happilly pay the developers/authors their asking price for what I want to use. The issue here is that what you purchase is tied forever to my current Kronos with no option of moving it (i.e. Not cloning it).

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
Hi, Greg. For the people who posted in this thread, so far, it's not about the prices at all. Never was.

To your point, Korg would sell more libraries and more Kronos boards, if there was a clear transfer policy. Kind of like a Reauthorization for an I.D., which you can get on the website where you registered.

Not to be argumentative, I think Korg established the (strict) 'policy ' +6 years ago. I suspect they did not, at the time +6 yrs ago, have the data base/infrastructure to support a soft re-auth process.

Without a systemic way to mange such a user friendly process, we got the strict, more black and white policy.

I also believe the K2 is selling extremely well even with the strict policy on libs.
We can see the number of keyboardists that have at least 2 K2's.

I know of one gigging/recording keyboardist that has 5 Kronus'.

I am not unsympathetic in the least to the home studio musician( I am one) and the hard working gigging keyboardist. I am looking seriously at getting a 2nd K, and while I have few sample Libs, I factor that extra cost into my budget.

At the end of the day, its a business for Korg. For most of us, its a passion, but for Korg ( and every other MI co) its mostly a numbers game.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be dreaming, but I thought I read a thread on here not real long ago where someone said they got authorization from Korg to move a library to a new Kronos...
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danmusician wrote:
I may be dreaming, but I thought I read a thread on here not real long ago where someone said they got authorization from Korg to move a library to a new Kronos...

Yes, they did. That's why I said to contact Korg Support.

GregC wrote:
Not to be argumentative, I think Korg established the (strict) 'policy ' +6 years ago. I suspect they did not, at the time +6 yrs ago, have the data base/infrastructure to support a soft re-auth process.

No arguement, but it's a debate worth having. No new technology needed. This could have been implemented from the beginning. You buy a sample library, it's your library to use. Not to share are redistribute, but for you to use.

I don't care if someone has 5 Kronos boards and uses that library in all 5. He only has one set of hands. He should be able to put the library that he bought in any of his registered keyboards.

We buy Kronos as a hardware solution, not for PC politics and limitations. If I had a Roland EXB, I could put it in any of my Roland boards. In fact, I put my XP50 Super Soundset EXB in my Fantom F/A, after selling the XP50.

If I had 2 E-MU samplers, I could use the CD-ROM libraries on each. I bought the library, I didn't rent it.

I have all these old TX16W disks. When the A5000 came out, Yamaha touted it as being compatible with my old library disks.

Back to the people who have two or more Kronos boards. Why can't they use a library in another Kronos that is registered to them? One library, one user is how I think it should be. It's how it used to be, but that policy changed with the introduction of the Kronos.

Korg would sell way more, because guys like me who have one Kronos, have it in the back of their mind that they are going to get a new K2, at some point. But even if we don't, we bought the libraries with no controversy, the ease of which encouraged us to buy even more libraries. I'm telling you, I would horde a lot more of them and a lot of people are like myself, in that regard. We want it all. Smile

Sales would be through the roof. Sure, some people would moan about the price, but the cost would be more than justified.

So, if I buy a whole bunch of libraries and my Kronos dies in a car wreck, I'm going to buy another Kronos, so I can use my libraries. On the other hand, if I can't easily use them, I may not replace the Kronos.

One library, one user. If the user has multiple Kronos boards, that's a damn good customer. It's win win for the user and for people who sell the libraries. More sales, easier to use.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danmusician wrote:

My vague recall it involved a service on a Kronos.

I can see where the service outlet has to restore an SSD due to some kind of tech problem. And the service co or the buyer co had to make the very reasonable request.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that I remember that Korg has allowed the transfer to happen for at least a couple of people.

As for my post above, it's just an impassioned opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree with it. :>)
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, if anyone is in this situation with a Purgatory Creek Soundware library let me know at purgatorycreek@comcast.net. I will be happy to work with you. This does not apply, at the moment to AcousticSamples, just my stuff. I will need some type of proof of purchase.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danmusician wrote:

Yes, you should try to talk with Korg about your situation.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danmusician wrote:

After my first Kronos got "stolen".. i was able to transfer my account and the involving packs to the new one i bought.. The Old stolen K got Blacklisted. very nice service of Korg.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: