Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amplification

View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Amplification Reply with quote

I've used a variety of amplification both at home and at gigs but none has the same "richness" as the PaAS which at low volumes is my preferred option. Achieving the same tonal balance at higher (sometimes much higher) volumes is something I've failed to attain.
I've had a Center Point Stereo Space Station 3 for a year and whilst it generally does what the advertising hype says it will it's severely limited at the bass end and can be peaky in the middle. Although I've augmented with a small bass amp the system can't cope with a medium rock gig
So I thought I'd ask you wise folks on the forum how you get a full and satisfying sound on stage. Any one else using a CPS SS3? or are people using a pair of powered cabs? If so which and why?
al urezzio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been through a lot of different amp set ups .. but finally settled on for my gigs I use 2 12" self powered MACKIE thumbs .. they really give a great sound .. not to heavy easy to set up , built EQ ... sometimes when i am playing bigger places I have a small yamaha stereo mixer ..this just gives me little more control over volume ,eq etc. , again an easy add on set up ... when i play smaller place ,that need little more then the PAAS ,I use one thumb , gives me great bass & more than enough volume ..
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Foxy:

If you're using a Center Point Stereo Space Station 3, you can't have enough power at low freq., initially because CPS3 uses a 8'' woofer speaker.-
If you want something good for your gigs small or medium places, go for a SWR California Blondee II, at least for me the best combo amp ever made.- It's difficult to find, but i've never seen another amp with such a power and excellent bass mid and high freq.-
But if you want two units to get the best stereo performance, it's a big invest practically the same a small PA.-
If you are a member of a band, my suggestion is go for a PA system (2 subs 18'', 2 12'' satellites, mixer and power amps) for your band, and you can cover easelly small and medium places. Power recomended 2000 for subs and 1000 for satellites.-
Although PA are more complex to install and transport than combo amps, is far the best amp system for any show.-
Hopping these helps you.
With regards.
Eduardo
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxy, if you're doing rooms of up to 250 and you sing as well as play, I'd recommend what we've been using this past five years. A Bose L1 Model II, B1 bass unit, with the ToneMatch unit. Loads of power, plenty of oomph, great even dispersion. We put everything through this, Pa3x and two vocalists. Of course, you won't get stereo (unless you have two of them), but that's a moot point once you get 15 feet out from the stage. No audience of ours has ever commented on the fact.

It's a doddle to set up and tear down and doesn't take up much room in your vehicle. As I say, we've been using this pretty well daily for the past five years without a hitch.

Not cheap initially, but worth every penny. And Bose support is awesome, check out their musician forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: