Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Control Organ Volume in Kronos with Pedal?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Control Organ Volume in Kronos with Pedal? Reply with quote

I'm one day into my new Kronos2 61 and realising there's a lot to learn for even basic setups.

I've made a couple of basic COMBI sets, and would like to know if it's possible to use an expression pedal to control ORGAN Volume within a Layered set.

I have Piano and Organ layered, and want to use my Roland EV-5 Expression pedal for the Organ volume;ie be able to have just the Piano sounding, but then fade up the Organ using the EV-5.

I could do this on my Nord Stage EX, but am not sure how to set this up on the Kronos.

Any advice appreciated in advance...
iMAC OSX 10.11.3, 3.4 GHz i7, 12 GB Ram | MacBookPro OSX 10.10, 2.5Ghz, 16GB Ram | A+H Qu16 | ProTools 12.6 | Korg Kronos2 61 | MicroKorg | N.I. Komplete - Kontrol | Alesis DM10 | Avid Eleven Rack | Slate VMS One | Fender, Maton, Epiphone Guitars |Allen+Heath Qu-16 | Etc Etc...
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VICTOR,

On the Combi page:
At the bottom of page see in the lower tabs - "MIDI filter/zones"
Choose MIDI 3
Uncheck "enable foot pedal" on any timbre you do not want to effect

Note A: (set pedal in 'Global Page' to 'expression' CC#11)
if you enable 2 timbres - let's say horns and strings - you can set the volume of horns to 50 and the volume of strings to 100 - that balance will be maintained.

Note B: MIDI 1 "enable damper" does same thing for sustain pedal

4GodnWV
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the EV5 doesn't work properly on Korg products, other than that 4God is correct. I recommend the Yamaha FC7 over the official Korg expression pedal.
TopCat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EV5 has it's limitations, but it does work for what the OP was looking for by following 4God's instructions. Am curious Sander, why you prefer the FC7?
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips fellas.

I've just finished my morning oats, and am about to boot up the iMac, install the Drivers, and also download / install the Kronos Editor / Librarian, for more ease of organisation. ( the wee touch screen on the unit is a bit fiddly for me)

Any of you have experience with the Editor / Librarian yet?

Shall report back later re the use of the EV-5 etc.
One thing I'm looking forward to is using the Switch Pedal to step through Combis in the Setlist when playing Live. Pitty it only steps in one direction continuous, instead of the ability to move Up and Back. Oh well, mustn't grumble.

Cheers...
iMAC OSX 10.11.3, 3.4 GHz i7, 12 GB Ram | MacBookPro OSX 10.10, 2.5Ghz, 16GB Ram | A+H Qu16 | ProTools 12.6 | Korg Kronos2 61 | MicroKorg | N.I. Komplete - Kontrol | Alesis DM10 | Avid Eleven Rack | Slate VMS One | Fender, Maton, Epiphone Guitars |Allen+Heath Qu-16 | Etc Etc...
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VICTOR KENNEDY wrote:

One thing I'm looking forward to is using the Switch Pedal to step through Combis in the Setlist when playing Live. Pitty it only steps in one direction continuous, instead of the ability to move Up and Back. Oh well, mustn't grumble.

Cheers...

Hi, For anybody who is serious about pedal usage, I would recommend that you look at a unit like a Roland FC300 or other manufacturer equivalents. Once you have used one of those you can program it to do anything. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
VICTOR KENNEDY wrote:

Cheers...

Hi, For anybody who is serious about pedal usage, I would recommend that you look at a unit like a Roland FC300 or other manufacturer equivalents. Once you have used one of those you can program it to do anything. Smile

Still wondering why Kronos does not have an EC5 pedal connection.. this would help a whole lot...

I think even with the FC300, you would be required to do some kronos programming.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TopCat wrote:
The EV5 has it's limitations, but it does work for what the OP was looking for by following 4God's instructions. Am curious Sander, why you prefer the FC7?
Really? That's surprising considering the totally different resistance values and polarity. I've never been able to use Roland pedals on Korg products nor Yamaha pedals on Roland products. But I found this out a long time ago and stuck with it, maybe something changed with newer boards.
TopCat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised also, but the OP's post got me curious. I do know the EV5 will not work on Yamaha's Tyros.
donthebootlegger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Control Organ Volume in Kronos with Pedal? Reply with quote

I am trying to set up an organ program where the volume is controlled by an expression pedal. I could then either use the organ sound as an independent program, or layer it with a piano, etc. and be able to play the piano and bring the organ in with the expression pedal when needed. I understand the procedure of setting the pedal function in the Global page to expression, CC#11. But then the volume of every program on the board is controlled by the expression pedal. I also understand that I can turn off this function for individual timbres in combinations, but then all the timbres not turned off, and all programs, are still are controlled by the expression pedal.

Question is, how do you set up the expression pedal function to control volume for a SINGLE program?

VICTOR KENNEDY wrote:
I'm one day into my new Kronos 2 61 and realizing there's a lot to learn for even basic setups.

I've made a couple of basic COMBI sets, and would like to know if it's possible to use an expression pedal to control ORGAN Volume within a Layered set.

I have Piano and Organ layered, and want to use my Roland EV-5 Expression pedal for the Organ volume;ie be able to have just the Piano sounding, but then fade up the Organ using the EV-5.

I could do this on my Nord Stage EX, but am not sure how to set this up on the Kronos.

Korg Kronos 2 73
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't, really. But you could set the pedal to CC#04, "foot controller". That way it only works by default on organ programs and for the rest you'd have to program it into every individual sound as you see fit.
donthebootlegger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Thanks! i will try that. Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
You can't, really. But you could set the pedal to CC#04, "foot controller". That way it only works by default on organ programs and for the rest you'd have to program it into every individual sound as you see fit.

Korg Kronos 2 73
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Korg EXP-2 with my Kronos.

Not terribly expensive ($85 @ Sweetwater), works great for organ expression, and seems durable (been using it for a little over a year). Comes with the appropriate (TRS) cable.

Just plug the cable into the jack labeled "Output 2".
donthebootlegger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: volume pedal for organ sounds in Kronos Reply with quote

thanks, but not sure why plugging the pedal into output 2 would cause it to function as a volume pedal for organ sounds???

Bitflipper wrote:
I use the Korg EXP-2 with my Kronos.

Not terribly expensive ($85 @ Sweetwater), works great for organ expression, and seems durable (been using it for a little over a year). Comes with the appropriate (TRS) cable.

Just plug the cable into the jack labeled "Output 2".

Korg Kronos 2 73
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Control Organ Volume in Kronos with Pedal? Reply with quote

donthebootlegger wrote:
I am trying to set up an organ program where the volume is controlled by an expression pedal. I could then either use the organ sound as an independent program, or layer it with a piano, etc. and be able to play the piano and bring the organ in with the expression pedal when needed. I understand the procedure of setting the pedal function in the Global page to expression, CC#11. But then the volume of every program on the board is controlled by the expression pedal. I also understand that I can turn off this function for individual timbres in combinations, but then all the timbres not turned off, and all programs, are still are controlled by the expression pedal.

Question is, how do you set up the expression pedal function to control volume for a SINGLE program?

VICTOR KENNEDY wrote:
I'm one day into my new Kronos 2 61 and realizing there's a lot to learn for even basic setups.

I eventually got a Yamaha FC-7 for this function. Instead of setting to CC#11 I set it to CC#7, and I'm able to fade up the Organ from under the Piano layer (in the same Combi).

I haven't had time to have a relaxed exploratory trip through the Kronos yet, but have noticed that when I make a Combi, ALL of the MIDI FILTER Red Squares are checked to ON (the little red boxes) in All of the # Midi Filter tabs.
I'd prefer if they defaulted to OFF, because I found that the FC-7 was controlling Volume of other patches, and so had to go in and turn it OFF in the relevan Midi Filter tabs on every other Combi.

Maybe there's a way to have a completely BLANK Initialised Combi Template for future programming. I hope so, as I prefer to start from Nothing and only apply whatever particular Controllers, Filters etc that I choose to use.

Am also finding the IFX a bit confusing. I'm actually quite an experienced and competent recording engineer, but it's gonna taker some time to figure out some of these most basic Routing systems in the Kronos.

As they say, all things in time to those who knuckle down and don't freak out...or something like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: