Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking of upgrading, does it worth?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos comes from the factory with all the RAM and internal storage it needs for the Factory content installed.
The issue of Upgrading RAM is one that goes with Upgrading the Content that requires RAM. Same with SSD.
So if you start buying lots of third party sound sets, making your own sounds or racking up lots of songs and sampling projects, then you may want to think about having more RAM and SSD space. More RAM is limited to a Maximum of course and you can go no further, so learning how to manage the RAM you have is more important than getting more.
If you get more RAM instead of managing content as a work around, you will run into the problem eventually where you will have no choice but to manage your limited RAM.
SSD lets you take load off of your RAM by offereing Virtual memory options and also, even with 2gb of RAM, it is hard to make your existing RAM inadequate in any one performance setting, even for an entire concert. You can always unload what you do not need on it and load what you need when you need it. Manage content. Yes the more RAM, the eaiser for people with huge libraries of content to sift through.

Same with SSD. 32gb of SSD is hard to max out in one performance setting, even in one concert. You can store stuff on external USB and copy to internal SSD when needed. Some stored content can only be applied to Kronos from the internal SSD and not an external USB stick. So you will have to manage those things between internal and external. But a lot of things can be used directly from External storage. I can play wave files from External but if i need to work with them in Sequencer, i can only load them to sequencer from Internal SSD..

It all depends on your content. If all you have is the time and money to upgrade RAM and SSD but no time and money to buy all kinds of 3rd party sound sets and fill your device up with your own projects, then you are not ready for the extra RAM and SSD.
Its like marriage, if you have a wife first, focus on her and making sure she is taken care of rather than ignoring her and building a nursery and crib and all. Its a potential waste of time and resources if your Kronos or wife is not first pregnant and on the way to deliver the best she has to give.

If you have the time and money and are already geared towards filling up Kronos to maximum content, then better to upgrade yesterday and be prepared ahead of time.
The thing about RAM and SSD is that the longer you can wait for it, the better chance of getting them cheaper.

Nothing wrong with upgrading Kronos just because you want to. Do it as long as it doesn't take away from more important things.

I am looking towards externals for my upgrade future. Laptop, DAW,VST and drum Machine. Of course i have kronos 2 which comes maxed out with RAM and has 60gb SSD. So i am looking instead to Maximize my Laptop RAM and SSD.
Finally gave up on wanting an Apple laptop and now going with a windows gaming style laptop where i can easily get the same or better processor, twice as much RAM installed and twice as much SSD for cheaper than an Apple. And still have money left to get all the software i need and a cheap second laptop for internet (email/social) so i don't have to put the DAW laptop under risk or stress for malware or background app functions. Minimize crash risk that most people avoid by getting Apple.
I have iPad and thats all the Apple i need. I will have to wait an extra year on a $3000 apple laptop if i dont get a gaming windows laptop sooner for $1500 or less. And that extra year is time lost in creative potential. Can never get that time back. I can always make due with a windows device with same hardware as Apple anyway, and if need be, wait 2 or 3 more years to upgrade to an apple if i don't discover that i may never need to upgrade to apple.
Can Save the apple $$ to get the next generation Korg workstation.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of upgrading, does it worth? Reply with quote

Woomgoog wrote:
Hello guys, I`ve bought an used kronos 73 it came with factory standard hardware. 2gb of ram 32gb ssd etc...

So I`m wondering what are the benefits of upgrading and installing 1gb of ram and a second SSD.

Does the second SSD will work only for samples? will it expand the number of banks avaliable for regular sounds on kronos?

What are the benefits of having 1gb more of ram?

I know those questions sounds silly but I just want to be sure that I make the right decision. Thanks.

your question is excellent. The extra ram install and 2nd SSD install takes time and attention to detail.

I think the additional RAM is a must. Everything that 19n said is accurate.
In addition, as you upgrade the OS , i think the extra RAM becomes a requirement. Plus most or many of the 3rd party sample libs require the full 3 mg RAM. Make sure you get quality RAM. Adding the 2nd stick is not overly difficult.

Folks have been adding extra RAM for many yrs. There are some excellent post topics on the RAM install process that will guide you.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woomgoog wrote:
19naia wrote:
Kronos comes from the factory with all the RAM and internal storage it needs for the Factory content installed.
The issue of Upgrading RAM is one that goes with Upgrading the Content workstation.

Thanks for the reply guys, really appreciate.

19naia I understand your thoughts about apple being more expensive. I`m gonna share with you what happened to me and to a friend of mine.
My friend`s story:
He is a guitar player and happen to own a decent desktop computer filled with plugins and all of that, also he has a very nice audio interface to use with it. Ok his computer runs windows 7 and one time he had the idea of using for a gig because the plugins had much better sound quality than his amp + pedalboard. Well he brought the whole computer to the gig, plugged everything did the soundcheck and it was everything fine. During the gig on the second song, windows gave him the bluescreen and it wouldnt power on again. Short story he had to unplug everything and had to use his amp + pedals to continue, not to mention the shame of that happening in front of the crowd.

My Story: I have a very good gaming desktop, I`ve picked all the parts myself following what people were giving feedback on forums etc... OK put it together everything installed windows on it. Every week I would have Kernel 43 bluescreen, totally ramdom. Tested every single component on the CPU, power supply, memories, processor etc... All of sudden I`ve decided to make a hackintosh and make it a dual boot so I could use the MacOS for audio recording and my work and the windows I would leave only for my games.
Ok, since I`ve installed the MacOS I`ve never had a single problem like I was facing on windows. The computer never turned off by itself and really never had any any problems with the MacOS even though my machines is not 100% Apple compatible by standard, I had to use different kernel and kexts for some stuff.
So in conclusion I`m really considering that my next computer will be a Apple computer for its reliability, as far as I`m concerned they really did a great job with their OS and it really performs way better than windows on the same exact machine, go figure.

Anyways I`m not trying to sell Apples for you but just giving my 2 cents between windows OS and MacOS.

Good info for me. Thanks. I have heard all the horror stories and vowed to Get only an Apple Laptop for DAW-VST work.
But I would not get anything less equipped than what Apple sells for around $3000 new. So that is a long time of saving because i have to add another $1500 or more in software. Then the Audio interface plus hardware drum machine. So the wait is going into quite some time to get it all together.
Meanwhile i could settle for a Windows for much cheaper and start working with it mainly to learn and create. I know how to handle minimizing risks and other things. Like i said about not using it for internet and apps, other than my DAW related stuff from good sources.
And I do not plan on gigging with it. I dont gig. I am even away from my Kronos for a few months now. I am a serious musician but not for a living. I don't care for gigging stress, don't need the money that bad and can enjoy music making to the fullest at home, and when i habe something good together and energy to get out, i just go out to little venues in town to make friends and play for fun, show and tell. Usually just casual open mics. I don't like bars or big crowds in any setting, not even birthday parties for myself(my birthday today).
Any way, no reason to worry about crashes. I am all causal and just eager to dig in sooner than later, to learn and create. Then during that time i can start saving all over again for a Macbook Pro with the right hardware inside.

So the Windows is stable for the gaming but not for the DAW stuff?
I am still trying to figure out what RTAS and AXX capability means. It came up in the system requirements for a software synth i was looking at. Not sure if that is for the computer or the VST Host.
Thanks.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of upgrading, does it worth? Reply with quote

Woomgoog wrote:
Does the second SSD will work only for samples? will it expand the number of banks avaliable for regular sounds on kronos?

It definately worth it , but you also have to clone boot SSD in a bigger and faster SSD since AFAIK all Korg EXs libraries
store encrypted library files only in system partition of boot SSD and only small files like PCG /User.KSC can be stored in
a secondary SSD during installation and in that case you will run out of 32Gb boot SSD space.
Any custom samples (unprotected) can be stored in a second SSD though.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Kernel based crash issue has to do with building the computer yourself. ??
I read about Kronos here where people talked about upgrading Kronos with a better processor and other Hardware. But the issue of getting the Kernel right was a mentioned major factor involved in upgrading the hardware.
So thats why i imagine that your kernel error message may be based on your self build, especially if you did not look into setting up the kernel right and if you upgraded parts where that applies. The Kronos kernel issue is particular to the the propietary software kronos uses(if i recall correctly what i read), and Windows may have a sepcial Kernel requirement and than not being surprising when you see just how tight windows software is with its licensing. Maybe your modified Kernel is not to the right specs for the Windows OS you are using.
I have no real world experience with computer building and am just going by what i read on the forum here. But the two Computer technicians i have talked to personally as friends, both swear by Ubuntu/Linux and the one who is a computer science graduate, is a Drupal fanatic. I was told that they could rig any apple or windows based computer to run Linux and that it would run in tandem with windows and OSX if needed. Main thing being the easy hurdle over the windows instability issues and around the input restrictions with Apple OS.

~~~Upgrading your SSD and RAM is not an issue with Kronos, and pay attention to the comment above about cloning the SSD and the useage restrictions it will have once installed.
And No a second SSD and more RAM will not increase the number of banks you have to store content in, but it will increase the storage you have for .KSC and .PCG files that make up what banks and slots can be filled with.

So you can empty what banks you have and refill them with other PCG/ related KSC content. And doing that means you can have unlimited bank content waiting behind the current loaded bank content. Just load new content any time you want and that content can be stored anywhere you want, internal, 2nd SSD or external USB drive.
Just know that some content can only be loaded to RAM or Virtual memory from the internal SSD, you can store anywhere but sometimes must do a quick copy to internal factory SSD and then load it.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woomgoog wrote:
Thanks again for the replies guys.

Yes that what I was thinking about the kronos. Like if you can store 32gb on all those banks that are factory made cool actually you don`t need much more than that. So in that case to me it wouldn`t be viable to upgrade SSD or install a second one. I can store PCG`s and KSC`s on a pendrive which is much cheaper and less work Smile

And about the computer 19naia. The windows was already installed on the computer way before I`ve decided to make a dual boot and install the MacOS as second OS. And I was already having the same problem and the windows Kernel 43 as far as I could research is related mostly to power and the windows kernel is not modified in fact I`ve installed directly from the DVD so there`s no way for it to be corrupted or something like that, and I`ve already did several windows installations after that to try to have a clean install but still same BS always.
And on MacOS nothing, running smooth as possible, no freezes, no crashes etc... still same machine.

I was wondering if Linux OS is ok for DAW/VST software. If it offers stability and if spectrasonics and studio software like Ableton and similar can run with Linux. Sounds like it should work, being that Linux is specifically for adaption to what you want to run in it. Even Kronos has adapted Linux to work for it.
My computer science friend who is all about Linux and drupal, has no experience with DAW/VST software and so he has no advice for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: