Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Migration from PA3X to PA4X

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Migration from PA3X to PA4X Reply with quote

Has there been any progress with being able to migrate PA3X Songbook data to the PA4X Songbook with the new v2.0 update? Or is it still a case of having to basically re-do the entire thing (several thousand entries!)?

Currently my PA4X is relegated to home studio work and I continue to gig with my PA3X until this issue is addressed. It has been a while! Where are Korg on this?

Are there any third party apps that can automate it, yet?
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously? Can anyone help?

Or have we given up on Korg trying to help their faithful customers migrate weeks, if not months of hard work (years!) creating huge songbooks on the previous model, and are willing to accept that we have to do it ALL over again?

How is this acceptable in any scenario? Shocked
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many similar posts that you could've used as a starting point. In fact go to Paolo's profile and look up his latest posts. He did make some comments about Songbook entries. See if that helps...

Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Sam. It's about what the artist does with the pallette he has. No different than any other keyboard, or medium, for that matter.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Giner

If Korg have to help everyone sort out their problems then they won't have time left for anything else.
So you could also ask what about helping to migrate from i3/i30/PA800/PA1x/PA2X etc....? That is unreasonable.

It isn't that hard to migrate - I had many custom SONGBOOK entries/styles/sounds etc.. from my PA3X that I needed fairly urgently for my band - I very quickly set these up and yes, I did have to check out and relocate my lyrics text files and a few styles.

PA4X has a NEW OS - "Direct Access" will be your friend - it helped me get going very quickly.
Sensibly you need to "save" data from your PA3X including all its factory styles etc... then you can recover just about everything

As Sam says there are related posts here that may help.
Give us some specifics and we may be able to save you some time and give you some direction.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am finding it hard to understand this. For starters, this is not data migration from a legacy product from decades ago. This is data migration for possibly the one most important feature in a working pro's keyboard to the very NEXT model in the series.

Perhaps some of you replying on this thread do not have Songbooks with thousands of entries..? Have you tried putting yourself in the position of someone that does? Or, because it's no biggie to you, you feel it should be no biggie to anyone else? The suggestion that Korg have no responsibility to their users after providing a feature that centralizes and unifies the entire data structure for working pros that their next model will force everyone to repeat all that work (three to four years of work) is, I hate to say it, but the words of someone that hasn't truly faced this problem.

I do not need apologies on behalf of Korg from people with no connection to the company. Not that anyone here even seems to think it NEEDS an apology! But be careful what you excuse. The next model may end up seriously inconveniences YOU, and where will Korg be when it becomes YOUR issue?

That the entire Korg community didn't rise with one voice and demand a software tool to automate Songbook migration from PA3 to PA4 pretty much opens the door to Korg changing style structure (imagine if you couldn't use legacy styles), or voice and sample structure (imagine that your entire sample data had to be entirely hand re-written to be useful) or SMF data (imagine having to completely revoice your SMF collections...

You are giving Korg a free ride on this. Be careful this doesn't put you in a bad position when it comes to a data migration you DO care about!
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@KorgHelper...You totally misunderstood the point! None of this was an apology to you. Not even close!!! You don't get to choose who's going to reply to a thread that you started on an UN-OFFICIAL korg forum. Excluding Paolo everybody else is just a Korg User. Like I said, there's many similar threads already posted and you can check them out to see how they dealt with the situation and frustration. I even suggested for you to look up Paolo's latest response on this exact topic to see if that solves all or part of your problem. If you want official response, you can always try their official tech support. If you want the forum to help you, then be prepared to turn the attitude down a notch or ten.

karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 - well said Sam

@Korghelper
As Sam says - this is an independent unassociated forum with NO connection to any company or organisation.
We have a great collection of superb members here who constantly support and help out others.

Your attitude towards us in your above post is inappropriate.
We are here to help as much as possible but we are not here to be bullied.

Absolutely no apologies to you from anyone here - and none of us are associated or connected to Korg except Paolo@Korg from the Italian team - he is under absolutely no obligation to even be on these forums but he chooses to help out at times which is fantastic for us.

Another suggestion - clearly define WHY you needed the PA4X and then (perhaps) return your PA4X and stay with your PA3X which obviously works perfectly for you.
If your PA4X has features you can't live without then look at some of the migration tips on these forums (per Sam's suggestion) and work hard on that PA4X - it is worth it!!!

Confused
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no intention to bully here... But I do find it hard to understand why Korg are given such a free ride on something that is a massive amount of work to re-do (you don't really own up to how many entries you had to correct, Karma. Was it thousands?).

My problem is with the entire Korg community, who seem to have shrugged their shoulders and gone 'Well, what can you do?' when faced with an issue that perhaps few faced.

In fairness, ask yourself how 'helpful' Giner's 'response' was: "Well said, Sam. It's about what the artist does with the pallette he has. No different than any other keyboard, or medium, for that matter."

I'm sorry, but try that out on say a pro drawing program forum that pros use, when faced with the software writer making them completely re-do all their work, and I think you'll find a slightly less friendly approach to a manufacturer making their users jump through a bunch of hoops simply to migrate from one iteration of the program to the next.

This isn't about a palette, or a medium, or creativity. This is about a manufacturer of hardware and software abandoning their customers and negating all the work they did on the previous model (ask yourself who is bullying who with a response like "So you could also ask what about helping to migrate from i3/i30/PA800/PA1x/PA2X etc....? That is unreasonable. " when the question had NOTHING to do with migration from FAR earlier keyboards, but only the previous iteration).

As I said, given the free pass the community seems to have given Korg allowing them to orphan the Songbook, let us hope that Korg don't take this as a green light to orphan the styles, or the sample structure or any other form of data that perhaps you care about a bit more than the Songbook.

I have already looked at all previous threads, BTW. You will note my OP asked SPECIFICALLY about 'automation' of data migration. I know as well as everyone here that up to OS2, it was basically 're-do the whole thing'. My question was about whether there was anything in OS2 or Korg's software that would finally allow automated migration.

Thank you for missing that and attacking me for daring to ask whether Korg cared about their customers.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your posts seemed to be attacking us as well as Korg.
Korg do care about their customers - for starters we have a NEW PA operating system and now a NEW version.
This is a NEW keyboard and NOT a PA3X with add-ons.

You have every right to complain that you are struggling with model conversion.
Most of us are up and running fine with our new keyboards. That is not saying we didn't have to tweak and change a few things to get our old configurations working.

There are tips and help from members here that I don't think you could have even looked at yet.
Even if you customised every factory style on your PA3X, there are still some "easier" ways to migrate.
As I said before, Direct Access is your friend - look into it and the other help on these forums.
But please ease your attitude towards us - it's unjustified

After all, Korg did not force you to buy a PA4X - they did provide access to its 1000+ page manual and have now given us heaps more features for free.
You have the luxury of owning both keyboards right now and yes, I can understand you might be a bit frustrated converting your custom data.

When you purchase such a different product (in terms of OS design) you must expect some work in conversion.

So all this is just you asking about "migration automation" and whether Korg care about their customers - well other than the compatibility with previous Korg arranger models, there is NO "migration automation" and Korg do care about their customers - there are 2 answers from me.

In summary, I have no idea what all your PA3X customisation comprises nor why you think it's "re-do the whole thing" - that is definitely NOT the case.

SO HOW CAN WE HELP YOU?

Pete Very Happy
Paolo@Korg
Korg Italy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

At the moment, I'm sorry I can't give a more detailed answer, but I would guess that the conversion tool exists, and it is the SongBook Editor and its Song Remap function. We also supplied a Pa3X to Pa4X conversion table with the latest version, so converting between Factory Styles-based songs should be a semi-automatic procedure.

As Sam and Pete suggest, we have discussed of this type of conversion earlier, so I'm confident there are useful information on this issue in the older posts.

Paolo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: