Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DIRECT MODE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: DIRECT MODE Reply with quote

I have setup Direct Mode for the first time after installing v2.0.0 (using my previously saved ALL.SET file).

Going forward, if I want to save my set file (Media/Save) including Global settings and all the other ALL sub folders, do I just save to my direct ALL.SET which is on USB? Or is the direct .ALL file on USB updated automatically whenever a data change is made - in which case I would just periodically backup my USB to PC?
Cubase 10.5 Pro DAW software
Dorico 2 scoring software
Yamaha CVP-309GP
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very good question and it also might help others to understand this procedure , so read the following:

- Copy your OLDset.ALL in Korg HD and do not use external media storage for Direct Set.
Main Global data will keep this location.
- Never use MEDIA/SAVE ALL pointing Direct SET ... you will overwrite banks and settings ! All edits there are saved in real time.
- Under Direct KBD SET or STYLES editing , when you save the edited element in direct banks then its saved there and no more
action is required for direct set.
- If under any direct set bank , you rename banks/styles/KBD sets , all changes will automaticaly saved in assigned Direct Set.
- Diffirential Global settings of Direct SET (like in a previous set) will retain all the rest properties.
- MEDIA/SAVE will be used only for Pa4X main settings and resources that are included only in pure user banks but this will
also save the required PCM data & PAD of Direct SET and any later PCM data that you might have imported since PCM/SOUND
management is exclusively based on this saved set that will be under a new second mainPa4X_SET.ALL.
- When the mainPa4X_SET.ALL has been created then the following folders inside OLDset.ALL can be safely deleted in order to free media space :
1) PCM
2) MULTISMP
3) SOUND
4) PAD

Therefore the procedure to keep a copy of this Direct Set arrangement with your older SET is to create a mainPa4X_SET.ALL
and copy it with your OLDset.ALL in a storage media since both files are needed.
For restoring this SET in a Pa4X after a factory reset , copy OLDset.ALL in Korg HD , load mainPa4X_SET.ALL and done ...

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa4X 76, Montage 7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Antony for your reply and the time you have spent on this.

I would like to make sure I understand properly:

- OLDset.ALL would contain my Direct KBD's , Styles and Songbook and can be stored in the main disk. The OS automatically updates this whenever changes to my Direct resources (eg banks) are made
- Another .ALL set (eg. mainPa4X_SET.ALL) also resides in the main disk (I can see that another .ALL file has been created by the OS) and contains User bank data and user PCM, MULTISMP , SOUND and PAD data

SAFETY BACKUP
- I can copy both of these .ALL files to a USB/PC for backup purposes

QUESTION
If I change Global settings, these are stored in the mainPa4X_SET.ALL file?

Thanks,

Phil
Yamaha CVP-309GP
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa4x_user wrote:
- OLDset.ALL would contain my Direct KBD's , Styles and Songbook and can be stored in the main disk.
The OS automatically updates this whenever changes to my Direct resources (eg banks) are made
Can be stored anywhere , but its better to be in a constant place like HD/mSD , and yes changes are stored automatically
if you save the edited elements in Direct area.

pa4x_user wrote:

1) Another .ALL set (eg. mainPa4X_SET.ALL) also resides in the main disk (I can see that another .ALL file has been created
by the OS) and contains User bank data and user PCM, MULTISMP , SOUND and PAD data
SAFETY BACKUP
2) I can copy both of these .ALL files to a USB/PC for backup purposes
1 )The SET mainPa4X_SET.ALL is the SET that you will save not OS , read again my tutorial concerning this !
2) True

pa4x_user wrote:
QUESTION
If I change Global settings, these are stored in the mainPa4X_SET.ALL file?
This is a sensitive question ... when under Direct selection , renaming Banks function will be instantly written in Direct Set
Global file , but the other existing properties can't be changed without knowing of what you're doing , for example if you will
try to save by MEDIA/SAVE/GLOBAL file (all) in Direct SET , you will destroy those existing settings of your old SET there
so do not try it ...
But you can partially save there , Max or vocals settings (MXPRESET.MXP/VPPRESET.VOC) if you have made major changes
that also concern Direct SET.
Sustain the rule and do not save anything in Direct set using MEDIA/SAVE utility !

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa4X 76, Montage 7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks - I think i get all that.

👌
Yamaha CVP-309GP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: