Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Communication error when using Sound Editor/SysEx Librarian
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to buy/borrow a new cable - that is non USB - that is standard midi. It looks like a single cable with 5 pin on each end . You will need two if you don't want to keep swapping for back ups. Remember plug to OUT on one device and IN on the other always, depending on were the info is coming from and going into, ie out the mk when backing up and into you software.

Regarding overwriting - Yes it will replace patches if you do an ALL programs type syst ex msg. You should be able to do a single voice drop though. (Not sure of that software). Just select a certain voice on mk ,then locate this option and try that. Hopefully replacing just one voice (you don't like) on the keyboard .

I would start with a full back up ,like you planned ,just to find your feet and save that.

Is it the original MicroKorg that you have?
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzguar wrote:
Spheric El wrote:
That's right. For your system ex.
Hopefully...But as two of us identified this, it seems the first place to check.

Okay,

I just tried this and nothing worked. The USB not being plugged into the Macbook seems pointless because the USB MIDI cable isnt even lighting up... Does that mean its completely off? I really need your help here guys.

I am also confused as to how SysEx Librarian even works. Do the factory patches get 'overwritten' when I want to put the new patches onto the Korg? This whole process is driving me insane.

You've really confused me now. Let's take this one step at a time. Let's ignore your USB MIDI lead and focus (groan) on the Focusrite

If I were you, as Well as SNOIZE Sysex Librarian, I would download SNOIZE MIDI Monitor, as you can run it at the same time to see what is happening.

• I assume you have the USB B port of the Focusright connect to a USB A port on the Mac. (A/B refers to the type of connector. Type A is more rectangular, and Type B is more square with the chamfered corners at the top)
  • Does the USB indicator on 18i8 light up green? (I have a Focusrite 2i4 hooked on my Mac and it works a treat)
  • Looking at the MicroKorg PDF Manual P60, you need to ensure that the MIDI filter for SYEX is enabled.
  • Open Midi Monitor
  • In the MIDI Sources area, select the Focusrite under the Spy On Output To Destinations Option
  • Open Sysex Librarian
  • Select File/Add To Library... and select the file you wish to send
  • Select the Focusrite as the Interface to use
  • Click on the file and press the Play Icon
  • Do you see the output data being sent in the MIDI Monitor?
  • That shows that Sysex Libratian is sending data, but it doesn't tell us if it is getting beyond the MIDI outport. However we can do a simple test (I have tried the below on my 2i4 and it works)
  • Connect MIDI OUT of the Focusrite to MIDI IN of the Focusrite, as we are going to check that it is sending and receiving by having a MIDI cable as a loop back
  • In MIDI Monitor, deselect the Focusrite under the Spy On Output To Destinations Option and select it under the MIDI Sources Option
  • Back in Sysex Librarian, click on the file and press the Play Icon
  • You should see in the MIDI Monitor the MIDI data again, but this time MIDI Monitor is showing you the data being received on the MIDI IN Port via the loopback. You should also see the MIDI light on the Focusrite flashing (it only flashes when receiving data)
  • If you see MIDI SYSEX data packets (they must start with F0 and end with F7) then you know your interface is good.
  • If you see nothing there is a problem with the interface
  • You could also try all of the above with your USB MIDI lead and see if you get the same results.
  • At this point, if all is good you have verified that your MIDI Interface is fine.
  • Connect MIDI OUT of the Focusrite to MIDI IN of the MicroKorg
  • Connect MIDI IN of the Focusrite to MIDI OUT of the Microkorg
  • Back in Sysex Librarian, click on record many option, and use the instructions on Page 62 to transmit data to the MAC. Once data is received, save your file off and this is your backup of what is already in your synth
  • Back in Sysex Librarian, click on the file you wish to send and press the Play Icon, once you are ready to do so after following the Reception Procedure on Page 62 of the manual. Note, the synth seems to be using the MIDI channel number as the SYSEX Device number, which must match the SYSEX device number embedded in the SYSEX data. So you may need to try this several times, switching the MIDI channel between each attempt
  • That should send the MIDI data yo your MicroKorg

BTW. I do not have a MicroKorg myself, but I do have a Mac and Focusrite, so I know the basic procedure works, but have no synth to try it against. But I do a lot of SYSEX on the Mac with other synths. so I know that the MAC and Focusrite is a rock solid combination.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
jazzguar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[*]Back in Sysex Librarian, click on the file you wish to send and press the Play Icon, once you are ready to do so after following the Reception Procedure on Page 62 of the manual. Note, the synth seems to be using the MIDI channel number as the SYSEX Device number, which must match the SYSEX device number embedded in the SYSEX data. So you may need to try this several times, switching the MIDI channel between each attempt
[*]That should send the MIDI data yo your MicroKorg[/list]
/quote]

Hi

This post was so helpful until the part above. I feel close!

I saved the backup of what was already in my synth into my computer. Are the sounds still supposed to be in the Korg?

I dont know what you mean by matching the SYSEX device number. Where do I find the 'MIDI Channel' and make sure im in the right channel?
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

OK, that is good to get that far.

Quote:
I saved the backup of what was already in my synth into my computer. Are the sounds still supposed to be in the Korg?

Yes, that is perfectly normal. The back only sends the data it does not replace it or initialise it.

Quote:
dont know what you mean by matching the SYSEX device number. Where do I find the 'MIDI Channel' and make sure im in the right channel?

This is a bit, where I am taking a guess based on the MicroKorg manual. Hopefully somebody with a MicroKorg can confirm this or correct me.

Let us say that the person you purchased the patches from had their MicroKorg set to MIDI Channel 16 when they did the dump. This means that your MicroKorg will probably have to set to Channel 16 as well in order to receive the data.

For example, if your MicroKorg is set to Channel 1 (Page 51 of PDF manual), and the data your are trying to send originated on a synth set to Channel 16, then your synth will not receive the data.

It's a bit like your friend trying to call you on your mobile phone but you are waiting for a call on the landline.

Assuming you do not know the channel number of the source device (the MicroKorg that the data came from) then you will need to do some trial and error following the procedures in the manual and find the source channel. You can only do this by changing the destination channel on your Microkorg.

SYSEX librarina is a very generic tool, so there is no way of forcing the channel number (and to be fair to it, every synth manufacture can implement SYSEX any way they feel like it, so there is no universal standard to help provide a generic function in the librarian to force the channel)

So, assuming you have your file setup and ready to send in Sysex Librarian, and you have followed Steps 1-3 of the Reception Procedure on Page 62 of the manual ....

• Use the procedure on P51 of the MicroKorg Manual to set the MIDI Channel to N (start with N=1, and each time you come back to this step, increase the value, so N=N+1 in computer speak!)
  • Use Sysex Librarian to send the data
  • Has the data been received? Yes - Job Done. No - go back to the start of this little procedure and change the MIDI channel to the next channel and try again

Keep repeating until you have the found the channel that the data can be received on. With luck it will be the Channel 1, but as you don't know (I am assuming) you will need to try all 16 channels until you hit the right one.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
jazzguar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Derek Cook,

I will try the different channels now. What destination is this 'playing' under in SysEx? I have three options: Port 1, Port 2, and the Focusrite.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having got the foggiest what Port 1 and Port 2 are. Assuming you are connecting to the MicroKorg via the Focusrite, then you should be connecting to the FocusRite! Smile

My Echoes Music Website
jazzguar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you are connecting to the MicroKorg via the Focusrite, then you should be connecting to the FocusRite! Smile[/quote]

Hi Derek,

I tried all 16 channels on the MicroKorg and still no luck. Just confirming that I need the MIDI IN connected into MIDI OUT of the Focusrite and the MIDI OUT into the MIDI IN of the Microkorg?

When I click play to the Focusrite 'destination', the IN indicator blinks. Is this correct? I feel like Im so close to getting to finally work!

I do have 134 SysEx files I want to send to my Microkorg and I want to send all 134 at the same time.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

When you say the IN indicator blinks, I assume that is the indicator on the MicroKorg?

If so, that is good and it is receiving the data.

Have you ensured that setting of the SYSEX data filter is Enabled (P60). And that Write Protect is off (P63).

Not owning a MicroKorg myself, I am am at the limits of what I can do to help, but hopefully sorting out the basic MIDI comms with you has been a big help, and hopefully somebody more savvy with a MicroKorg could chip in with the final piece of the jigsaw? What about the guy you purchased the patches from?

My Echoes Music Website
jazzguar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Derek

What I meant by the light indicator was the light on the MIDI to USB cable, not the Focusrite.
I double checked that the SysEx was enabled on the MicroKorg as well as the write protect being turned off.

The factory patches were backed up fine to my MacBook, so I'm assuming that part was right.
Now it's just a matter of putting the new patches into the MicroKorg. Hopefully someone has the right answer to this.

Just clarifying how the MIDI cables should be connected with the Focusrite and Microkorg? I feel like I'm so close!
jazzguar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys,

can anyone help me out with the last part?

i backed up the factory patches into my computer, but i still need to transmit the new patches onto the MicroKorg. SOmeone please help!
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you say the USB > midi cable worked for backing up.
How exactly have you connected this? Are you connecting the USB socket to your computer ,then a five pin to Focusrite and the other to MK ?

If so - you may not of backed up properly ,it jus looks like ,but the info you received hasn't been verified and there is still a problem- the mk isn't receiving.
If you have connected as above you need to get another cable from somewhere . A non USB cable. Then we can instruct you how to wire up.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I assumed that, as recommended, you were working through the Focusrite?

If I were you, I would forget that USB MIDI lead for a while, and go back to my original guide post above and try using the Focusrite interface. They are rock solid and well suited to SYSEX. Smile

With the Java librarians I sell, 9 times out of 10 when users report a MIDI connection problem, it is because they are using these "USB MIDI leads" and the problem goes away when they invest in a "proper" interface.

In conclusion, you have a good interface there to try instead of this USB MIDI lead, and I do not understand why you are not using (even if temporarily for now, disconnecting another synth you have connected to the Focusrite) to get the SYSEX transfer working.

Am i missing something?

My Echoes Music Website
ToneM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you opened up the Audio Midi Setup App on your Mac to see if the device is connected and transmitting?
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Derek ,
I think the problem is op doesn't own a standard midi cable and is unfamiliar with standard midi. trying to use USB midi cable to connect focusrite to keyboard.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be. In that case, he needs some proper MIDI Leads to use the Focusrite Smile

My Echoes Music Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: