Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sounds Not Coming Through Headphones Correctly

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chentiangemalc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Sounds Not Coming Through Headphones Correctly Reply with quote

Just recently finished doing a show with Korg Kronos 2 and I had L/R outputs at back going to DI box, and used a mono guitar lead to plug headphone jack into my amp for some foldback. This worked fine, and I don't know if it's even related to this problem...

But now when I try to play with headphones some sounds completely disappear, and all sounds are much louder when balanced all the way to the LEFT or to the RIGHT.

For example in-built Synth Bass Program E-75 is almost completely inaudible through headphones

I tried 3 different headphones same problem, L/R output is fine, or if I plug head phones into L (mono) output

IF I balance the sound to the LEFT, the sound comes in loud & strong on head phones in LEFT ear. and balance to the RIGHT, it comes loud & strong on headphones in RIGHT ear. As I balance towards center it gets softer and softer until almost completely inaudible at center. Other sounds like PIANO sound OK but slightly muffled when at center. Electric piano sounds are much worse.

Anyone experience this or know any settings where I can rectify this?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by 19naia on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds normal for mono outputs where each pans to the full end of one direction or the other. And center not being too effective for mono signal pan.
If this is happening straight out of the headphone output in the front, then it sounds like it may have been fried a bit but don't trust me about it being fried until you find out first hand.
Headphones and L/R mains are fixed output routes where even if you set the global audio page to output on 1&2 or 3&4, you will still have L/R mains and headphones operating the same as usual. Also there is no global mode pan setting for L/R mains and Headphones. Maybe knob 1 does that though.

If headphones has this problem but the stereo pair of L/R mains does not have the same problem, then you likely have a problem with headphones circuitry, because headphones basically is and does what L/R main is and does. One and the same other than different output locations.
Be sure the L/R test for the problem is done with the left sent to one speaker and the right sent to another speaker so you get a real pan effect to go off of.

I don't know if it is possible for the guitar lead to your amp, to send signal or surge backwards into the headphones port and into kronos circuitry. But it is an idea in mind.

Not sure why pianos would be fine but electric pianos not be fine if something is fried. Programs and synth engines have different aspects to them and SGX has panning across the board per each note where each note is panned relative to a real piano string position. Very dynamic panning and stereo effect going on in SGX pianos.

Are you doing your pan tests on your external mixer or on kronos? External mixer may be in panning conflict with Kronos knobs if the knob settings even jump the settings of new programs as you scroll along. Knob 1 is a pan function knob on kronos but also FX send knobs 7 & 8 can have panning type results on any programs that are set with MFX in such a way that the assigned MFX is set up to control the sound in more ways than just color the sound with effects. Effects can take over the sound routing entirely to do anything from panning, silencing, to any effect parameters. Maybe set all your konbs to default and press the "reset controls" button.
Did you try a reboot or a factory reset if no luck after a simple reboot.?
chentiangemalc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i did pan tests, i loaded a combi which had the bass sound i couldn't hear, i panned it using the touch screen, it comes in loud as soon as it's about 5pc panned left or right, and gets louder as panned all the way, center drops off completely...

very strange, i would have expected if headphone jack was problem panning wouldn't work...
chentiangemalc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does seem issue was headphone jack. I've fixed, not really any idea how, i put dyson vacuum on the port and put in on high, and wiggled a tiny screwdriver around inside the headphone jack - which might have been risky but felt I had nothing to lose. in any case after that random operation of "repair" it started working normally again...
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your headphones were summing to mono, maybe a tiny speck of dust got lodged in the output just the wrong way. Glad you got it fixed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: