Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Spontaneously restarting (w/error on reboot) - Help?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Kronos Spontaneously restarting (w/error on reboot) - Help? Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I figured I'd reach out to see if anyone has troubleshooting suggestions for a friend of mine with a Kronos X that is spontaneously rebooting and drops an error when rebooting.

Here's the scenario: He'll be in the middle of anything/nothing/programming/playing and his Kronos will pretty reliably crash. When I say crash, I mean a spontaneous reboot. The screen freezes, the sound stops and sudden reboot. When this happens, the Kronos will try and restart like normal but gets about 20% of the way loaded and then says "SYSTEM STARTUP ERROR" (Turn the Kronos off, wait, turn back on, yadda yadda)

Okay, so some other oddities that have happened:

1) We tried to swap the SSD from the factory to a newer SSD. I've done this in both of my Kronos boards with the *exact* same SSD he's using, and I have the same in my other two. When he gets to the formatting SSD portion of the install, the whole thing just freezes.

2) We've tried reseating ram. No dice.
3) We've booted the motherboard itself into Linux using a boot disk, everything works as far as we can tell from a motherboard aspect.
4) Replaced the motherboard ANYWAY, same issue with the SSD. (Same behavior, probably not the motherboard)
5) When we put the original SSD in, it'll get past the formatting part and will actually boot up, but then does the spontaneous reboot and crash like mentioned above.

Now my gut feeling is that it's the power supply being stupid. That might explain the SSD, since the faster writing of the newer SSD's *might* take more power? External drives hooked up didn't seem to work either which was a different symptom I forgot to mention above.

Like, to me it just SCREAMS psu, but I wanted to run things by everyone here of a troubleshooting mindset.

Is there anything really obvious I missed that would help eliminate/confirm that it could be the power supply of the Kronos X?

Suggestions? Ideas? Help!? lol
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Spontaneously restarting (w/error on reboot) - He Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:
Hey everyone,

I figured I'd reach out to see if anyone has troubleshooting suggestions for a friend of mine with a Kronos X that is spontaneously rebooting and drops an error when rebooting.

Here's the scenario: He'll be in the middle of anything/nothing/programming/playing and his Kronos will pretty reliably crash. When I say crash, I mean a spontaneous reboot. The screen freezes, the sound stops and sudden reboot. When this happens, the Kronos will try and restart like normal but gets about 20% of the way loaded and then says "SYSTEM STARTUP ERROR" (Turn the Kronos off, wait, turn back on, yadda yadda)

Okay, so some other oddities that have happened:

1) We tried to swap the SSD from the factory to a newer SSD. I've done this in both of my Kronos boards with the *exact* same SSD he's using, and I have the same in my other two. When he gets to the formatting SSD portion of the install, the whole thing just freezes.

2) We've tried reseating ram. No dice.
3) We've booted the motherboard itself into Linux using a boot disk, everything works as far as we can tell from a motherboard aspect.
4) Replaced the motherboard ANYWAY, same issue with the SSD. (Same behavior, probably not the motherboard)
5) When we put the original SSD in, it'll get past the formatting part and will actually boot up, but then does the spontaneous reboot and crash like mentioned above.

Now my gut feeling is that it's the power supply being stupid. That might explain the SSD, since the faster writing of the newer SSD's *might* take more power? External drives hooked up didn't seem to work either which was a different symptom I forgot to mention above.

Like, to me it just SCREAMS psu, but I wanted to run things by everyone here of a troubleshooting mindset.

Is there anything really obvious I missed that would help eliminate/confirm that it could be the power supply of the Kronos X?

Suggestions? Ideas? Help!? lol

I would guess you did the obvious- hook up and use UPS. Reseat the power cord , both ends. I would substitute another power cable as they are plentiful.

Disconnect all USB devices inc the nano pad

How is his Kronos on available SSD storage ? Is the file structure on the drive fairly clean ? Or is it a jumbled mess ?

It also could be software. The OS sounds unhappy about something. If you have a solid power connection, re-install the OS.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg,

We've covered all of that too, and the OS is a completely fresh install.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ruled out bad RAM sticks?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other things I would suspect would be all connectors like USB jacks, etc. If not done already, use air spray and shoot everything that might accumulate dust like MIDI, USB and audio jacks etc. I would also air clean the MB as well, etc. Just a thought.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diagnose in your case needs lab investigation but I'll try to guess !
- If you've booted the motherboard itself into Linux using another boot disk using the same PSU and Ram check was successful ,
then it's not a motherboard issue.
- PSU instantly unstable behavior could cause this initially and then SSD data curruption follows as a consequence !
- Newer and faster SSD have usually lower power consumption than older.
- Your issue is mostly focused on SSD (probably partition boot sectors) that might can't be recovered by OS formatting !
- PSU usual malfunction symptom is that Kronos do not respond at all after shut off !
- You can try to externally format SSD in Fat 16 , swap your Kronos PSU , use a UPS and try to reinstall DVDs resources v1 up to v2.

Good luck

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
manueldelatorre

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running into the exact problem on a brand-new Kronos 88 (it reboots and fails to restart unless powered down). I'm currently restoring from DVDs, but first attempt failed on disc 3. Did you find a solution to this?
Wagnergrad96

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time my KRONOS spontaneously re-started the temperature was very high. Correllation?
manueldelatorre

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wagnergrad96 wrote:
The only time my KRONOS spontaneously re-started the temperature was very high. Correllation?

Sadly not in my case. I'm having it exchanged since it's only a week old.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manueldelatorre wrote:
Wagnergrad96 wrote:

Sadly not in my case. I'm having it exchanged since it's only a week old.

is it a back to the retail dealer exchange ?

Or did Korg authorized service handle the switch to a new board ?
manueldelatorre

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to Guitar Center it goes!
quinn47

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos Spontaneously restarting (w/error on reboot) - He Reply with quote

I have been having increasingly-frequent spontaneous reboots of my old Kronos. It will almost immediately reboot if the temperature is very cold. If it is warm, it might take 5-15 minutes.

It is unusable. I have it on a Furman power conditioner, BTW.

As a retired Electrical Engineer - I would say it is Very likely that it is the PSU (power supply unit) - and most likely a dehydrated main electrolytic capacitor.

I had to find a way to get it to RELIABLY reboot. I think this cold temperature thang is the trick. I have a call into my factory service folks. I hope to take it in very soon.

I'll let you know how that turns out.

Pat
Portland, Oregon. USA
CliveJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos Spontaneously restarting (w/error on reboot) Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:
When he gets to the formatting SSD portion of the install, the whole thing just freezes.

How big is the SSD? I ran into this when I tried to update to a 1TB drive. Kronos won’t format over a certain size (250 or maybe 500 GB - it’s documented elsewhere in the forum), so I had to clone the original drive and then expand the partitions.
tunaman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my K2s started randomly and intermittently shutting down unexpectedly. It began last Spring during an outside rehearsal - it was under shade most of the day, but in the afternoon the angle of the sun allowed it to shine directly on the Kronos and it apparently overheated and shut down.

Ever since, it would shut down randomly - sometimes several times in a day, sometimes days or weeks apart. I had ordered a replacement power supply, and decided to piggyback it on the original PS for testing purposes, so I tiewrapped it on top and tested it out. The random shutdowns continued, unfortunately, so I put that one in its case and stored in the closet.

I am now getting settled in the Vegas area and have had a chance to network and start getting to know several of the local musicians, and am planning to start playing. I’ll need my other K2 for rehearsals and gigs, so I looked into local service options - the authorized Korg service company is nearby, so i called and made arrangements to drop it off yesterday.

I’m hopeful that he can diagnose and repair the issue relatively quickly so I can put it back in service. This one has a mod with an Ethernet connector so I can connect to my network and easily transfer data back and forth.

I’ll update when I hear the diagnosis.
JFree

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get an answer yet? I'm in the same boat and went through all the usual suspects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: