Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pads on the pa4x

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowhankron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Pads on the pa4x Reply with quote

Hi

Has anybody got any electric guitar pads for the pa4x...I miss having them as I had them on the yamaha psr keyboards
would be grateful if anyone had these pads to share as I find on the pa4x keyboard straight out of the box..limited use to me.

thank you
Ronnie
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ronnie

What do you want the "guitar" pads to do - e.g. arpeggiate, strum etc...

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
shadowhankron

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete

Thanks for the reply.
I require Electric Guitars in Pads for extra Backing on Styles...Strumming, Upbeat.....or even 12 Bar Chords......blues and arpeggiate
there are no Electric Guitar Pads on the PA4X at all

thanks

Ronnie
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadowhankron wrote:
there are no Electric Guitar Pads on the PA4X

That's true , Pa4X factory styles use required electric guitars motifs already in Style tracks and the main reason is that
electric guitars require extra insert & master effects that will make them insufficient for use in PAD mode.
A style creator has either to record the required guitars tracks in quitar mode in the Style , either to copy some factory
style track guitars in Pad mode.
Another way of doing that should be creating time sliced guitar patterns audio loops and assign them in Pads instead
of Style ( details in advanced edit manual).

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
shadowhankron

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Antony..I understood none of your reply as I am not that understanding of technology stuff...but thank you for the reply.
My main question was for pads with electric guitars.

Regards
Ronnie
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie there is no subject of any technology here , those are functions of Pa4X that you have to learn if you want to create a custom setup ...
For instance , you need a E.Guitar rhythmic PAD OK ? whow do you think that it should work ? certainly not as a simple file that you can
copy or import , not to mention that almost no one has or is intented to share this !
So you have to DIY and the options for creating such PADs are :
- 1) Choose a factory or custom PCM E.Guitar & Effect and create patterns playing guitar yourself if you know how a guitar is played.
- 2) Use guitar mode , that it means that you have to learn whow this function works and how to create your custom riffs.
- 3) Use an audio file , that can't work as a simple sample in a Style/PAD when transposed , but only as "time sliced" sample that you also
need to know how to achieve this !
IMHO you have to read and understand all these references from Pa4X advanced edit manual , else sorry to say but just get stucked
with factory resources.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
shadowhankron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
???????
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pads on the pa4x Reply with quote

Hi Ronnie,
any pads from yammie in particular?

I've converted some of my Yamaha styles across to korg, never thought to try any pads.

Acoustic guitar tracks in the style conversions work ok, electric may not work, considering what Antony was saying, though I don't fully understand either.

Was there any pad in particular, might have it on my psr , could give it a try and see if I could convert it.

shadowhankron wrote:
Hi

Has anybody got any electric guitar pads for the pa4x...I miss having them as I had them on the yamaha psr keyboards
would be grateful if anyone had these pads to share as I find on the pa4x keyboard straight out of the box..limited use to me.

thank you
Ronnie

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰
Wavesart Japanese Grand Piano

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
shadowhankron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rikki

many thanks for your kind offer on pads.
On the PSR I liked the pads using Acoustic Guitars and loved the Electric guitars too. there were electric organs that had good sounds.

I appreciate any pads from the psr range to use on the pa,4x

kindest regards
Ronnie
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rikki , sorry if I can't simplify more my explanation but how to explain "time sliced sampling" when you have
never read about this in Pa manual ? Wink
This is the "Bible" of users that use audio files and create DK/PERC loops !

I never had owned a PSR to know the format it uses in Pad tracks.
The fact that you have converter some styles for PaSeries means that track data are using standard midi data
format and standard midi mapping (GM) !
If a guitar track in PSR has been played using a normal entire guitar sound , then can be easily tranlated for any other
arranger that uses midi information events data (and of course under the same or similar Guitar sound samples) but if f.e.
guitar mode or audio file patterns are involved then you have a very hard work to do framed by advanced knowledge in this job.

On the other hand in PaSeries , PAD is actually similar to Style track so you can achieve there the same result as in a
style except effects complex arrangement.

Hope this helps

rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Antony,
Sorry, I do understand time slicing, played around with it on my pa 800 for a while, but haven't revisited since. Not enough hours in the day for me. Haha
Not sure if I can get electric guitars working correctly as far as the effects go,
something I've never fully understood.so didn't fully understand what you were saying. Thought I'd see if I could convert first, then worry about what you were saying later.

The earlier Yamaha styles ( going back to my psr 1500 and earlier) were very similar to korg , ie used midi tracks for styles , also for pads.
The newer styles are far more complex with audio drums, the mega sounds, and they've changed the way they record the guitar tracks, made the newer styles far more difficult to convert.
Haven't tried converting anything with audio drums, sounds too much work.

The early styles are reasonably simple. Ie change the.sty extension to mid and turns it into a midifile.
From there, in pic sequencer, alter the markers to suit korg, swap midi channel 9 and 11 around , (percussion and bass channels are opposite to korg)
Minor intro / endings are stacked above the major , so a case of moving them onto the end of your file and copying the drums and percussion. ( Maj and min intro/ ending share the same percussion / drum tracks)
Majority variations were based on maj 7th chords, which suited the korg single cv perfectly.

Once I got the midifile right, imported it into korg and did the rest of the editing. Drums work reasonably well with the xg drum kits.

The newer one I now have to record as a midifile in my psr. Can't just change the extension anymore. Guitar tracks weren't working correctly.

Fairly time consuming,so I only do the ones I really need.

AntonySharmman wrote:
Rikki , sorry if I can't simplify more my explanation but how to explain "time sliced sampling" when you have
never read about this in Pa manual ? Wink
This is the "Bible" of users that use audio files and create DK/PERC loops !

I never had owned a PSR to know the format it uses in Pad tracks.
The fact that you have converter some styles for PaSeries means that track data are using standard midi data
format and standard midi mapping (GM) !
If a guitar track in PSR has been played using a normal entire guitar sound , then can be easily tranlated for any other
arranger that uses midi information events data (and of course under the same or similar Guitar sound samples) but if f.e.
guitar mode or audio file patterns are involved then you have a very hard work to do framed by advanced knowledge in this job.

On the other hand in PaSeries , PAD is actually similar to Style track so you can achieve there the same result as in a
style except effects complex arrangement.

Hope this helps

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ronnie,
Not good news.
I checked some of the guitar pads on my psrs950.
They appear use some sort of a guitar mode for the notes, unlike the early pads which were recorded based on maj7th chords.
They were simple, just had to change .pad extension to mid and automatically had a midifile which could be used as a basis for korg pad.
Only way the new ones could be used would be to record them in a song to create a midifile. Lot of work. I've done this with a couple of styles, but i recorded the song in step time just to make sure my timing wasn't out, has to be 100% accurate.
Not all that familiar with my psr, don't really use it, but I couldn't find a way of recording a song using pads in steptime mode.
Recording in realtime wasn't accurate enough.
Anyway, if I do succeed, I'll let you know.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
shadowhankron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rikki

Thank you for your time and effort regarding making Pads..it was very good of you to try out this system.

Ronnie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: