Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to locate loaded files??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vigman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Where to locate loaded files?? Reply with quote

Hi, newbie to this forum but not to music creation or sequencing. In fact I taught electronic music production at uni and also used to program original analogue Moogs. I'm used to sequencing with Sonar and Cubase via a dummy midi keyboard driving various synths, mostly Yamaha.

Anyway I am currently playing guitar on a session and the keyboard player bought a Krome and has asked for help with it.

Been through the manuals and video manuals on YouTube but the one thing that is not clear is how to locate loaded .pcg/.sng files??

I save performance files called Test1 to an SD card. I can select Media, find the file and load choosing the options to load the associated .sng file and choose either clear or append.

However, from that point I have so far found it impossible to find that file to play??

In fact having loaded it at one point I accidentally found it lurking as NewSong X but why had it renamed the file from Test1??

So many people seem to ask this and so many answers are unsatisfactory saying just load your file from th SD card

I've only joined the forum initially to get a simple reply to where to locate the loaded file please!?

Any help greatly appreciated

TIA

Vigman
rileym65

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty new to the Krome, so may not be able to provide the best answer, but might can point you in the right direction.

First. The name of the file on the SD card is not the same as the name of the song. When you go into SEQ mode, the name showing after the Sxxx will not be the name of any file you loaded unless the name set for the song segment was the same as what you saved. For example, I could have made my song as: "My Sample Song" and saved it with song1.sng to the sd card. When I load that song back into the sequencer, it will be the "My sample Song" that I will see in the list and not the song1.sng that I saved the song into.

By pressing the little arrow to the left of the song name you can find any other song segments that are loaded. If you selected append, then your song should be after whatever other song segments that were loaded at the time. If you select clear then it should load at S000. There is an important distinction between how songs are loaded when clear or append is selected. Clear will clear out all song data and load the new file in its entirety, while append will append to the end of the sxxx list and will NOT load any cue data that was in the file being loaded. If your song is entirely in a single segment, then this should not matter, but if the song was created in several segments that are using the cue list to play correctly, then clear is the only option you can use.
Vigman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. We'll play with song and file names and see the correlation. I'm used to recordings of events and sounds in a performance being the same as the file name

When NewSong X played the loaded file n.sng it explains why the recorded piece had a different song and file name and I could not find n.sng in any list!?

Where in the saved files is the song name held?

As these are early days these will be single segment pieces but I'm glad I had understood the clear and append options you describe

Vigman
rileym65

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, you cannot see in the files themselves what the name of a song is, you have to load it to see. I try to pick filenames that makes it pretty obvious what the actual song is. For example, if I had a song named 'Doves in Moonlight' I would name the file itself as DvsMnLt.sng.

In this day and I age I do not know why they did not allow long names to show in the files list in the "Media" screens. Hopefully they will do something about that in an OS upgrade. Really no excuse to still be using the 8.3 naming from MSDOS.

Yeah, with single segment songs you can always just append, I do not think there are any other issues with appending besides the cue list. Even if you build a song originally as multiple segments with a cue list, there is an option to collapse it all down to a single segment song. The multiple segments come in real handy when doing composition work, but the single segment songs are much better when it comes to performing. In fact for gigs, where I have sequenced tracks, I create cue lists for each set so that the keyboard will just play my backgrounds one after the other for the whole set, makes it easy for me since I do not have to switch programs between songs, it all happens automatically.
Vigman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. I'm not near the instrument owner's house now so can't check but where do you create the title of the song. If I have loaded NewSong 1, then created a performance, what is the process for naming the song Vigman 1, please?

Only had hands on for a few hours today. Have to say I prefer sequencing on a large PC monitor using Sonar or Cubase, but it is quite neat being able to create tracks on the Krome itself. I like the combi stuff and the live record but felt the performance record to external memory and replay process a little clumsy ( hence the questions!)

Vigman
rileym65

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To change the name of the song, on the sequencer page. Touch the menu button (the down arrow on the upper right corner of the screen). There is an option in the drop down menu for "Rename Song", Select that and you will get a dialog box that lets you enter a new name for the song, touch the little 'T' button and you will get a keyboard that lets you type in the song name.

I agree with you. I use Sonar for my main DAW software and do most of my composition work there. But sometimes I am just dinking around on the keyboard and stumble across an idea, then it is really convenient that I can record and do some basic editing right on the Krome, then at some point I export it to a midi file that I can import back into Sonar for doing more serious work with it.

Yeah, I agree, they could have made the sequencer function a bit easier to deal with. I hate the having to use short filenames to actually save my tracks, they should have made that underlying stuff more hidden, use the names that appear on the synth screens for combis, programs, songs, etc as the only name that the player has to deal with.
Vigman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again! Didn't help that the Cd that came with the Krome won't play on my friend's PC so most learning today from the printed quick guide and the YouTube tutorials!

Think I'm more with it now thanks to your help.

I would just have had a quick "do you want to save your composition/ sound/ data to your SD card?" option after creating a piece with easy reload info.

After getting "file loaded" I wanted to scream "Yes, but WHERE???"

I'll be happier when I can output MIDI to a sequencer and be on familiar ground!

Vigman
rileym65

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are most welcome. Always feel free to ask questions. Somebody around here will invariably have the answer for you.

The video manual that comes on the disk is really basic, It will get you up and running for the basic functions, but does not dive too deeply into any section, so for the most part it is not that useful.

There are also 3 pdf manuals on that disk, the quick start guide, which is the physical manual that came with the Kromo, like the video manual, just gets you going but then not much else. There is also an operations guide that goes deeper into the functionality, this manual is laid out reasonably and does provide quite a bit of useful info. And then there is the parameter guide, which is HUGE, but details every option on every screen. It is also laid out in reasonable fashion so you can get to the information you need, so long as you know the screen page that you want info on.

Unfortunately there is no "How do I do ____ ?" section. So sometimes you have to do a little digging, like on how to rename a song, etc.

Yep, I am with you, the computer based sequencer is much easier to deal with and certainly the preferred way for doing any sequencing type of work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: