Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cant copy one variation to another
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
armandoromeu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Cant copy one variation to another Reply with quote

Styles within a song or style are very similar and I need to be able to create Var1 and then copy tracks to other variation(s). But it doesn't seem to be working.
I use the Copy command from the Style Record Menu and it seems to be working but when playing back the copied variation to add or delete notes, it's empty. I've tried all options without luck. There's no mention of this option in the Users Guide and I can't find any help. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong.
I use the PA4X v2.0.1
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
not at my keyboard at the moment, did you try doing this in The prior version?

Haven't updated mine yet so I'll give it a try later and see what happens, then I'll update.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ,
Worked for me on both versions version 2 ,then version 2.0.1.

Copied style to an empty favourites.
Copied vari 4 to vari 1. It worked.
Then I copied individual tracks from vari 4 to vari 1. Also worked.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to copy Var1 CV1 to Var2 CV1 and so on !
Also be sure that you edit a User style !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
armandoromeu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all thank you very much for your responses. I tried everything you're saying but it doesn't work for me. Let me specify that I'm not editing a USER style because I'm creating a New Style. This is one of the options that the menu gives when you press the RECORD button. I'm going to try to copy from a user style and if it works I will have to create new styles based on user styles modified. Anyway if this is the case it's clearly a bug on creating New Styles. I suppose that if editing a user style works for you guys, it should work for me also, but I spent a great deal of time recording my first Var1 and I don't feel like having to repeat all that playing/recording/editing/take1/take2... etc. for each Var2, Var3 and Var4 just to play the same base.
Will keep you informed. Thanks again for your time. Very kind and nice people in this community.
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ,
That does sound odd.
Are you sure you are actually copying the style tracks correctly to the new destination tracks , with all the tracks involved in a style , you haven't accidentally copied a cv1 to a cv2 for instance.

Maybe try copying the variation you have recorded to a blank "new style "and see what happens.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....just a footnote....
I very rarely create new styles but I have just tried a simple copy of VAR1 from a factory style to a new style and it all worked correctly (I am OS V2)

Give us a detailed step by step breakdown of what you are doing and maybe we can help further...

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armando.....

You're doing this and it's not working?

https://youtu.be/2QelJ2yXYeo

rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
just tried it with a new style,worked for me too.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
armandoromeu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Sam, I saw your video and I'm doing, not exactly because I have a PA4X, but the exact equivalent, with different screens and menus but the same parameters as described there. I copied Var 1 to Var 2 and After pressing Execute I get the same succesful message as the video but when playing back Var 2 it's still as empty as before.
This is what I do:
After completing recording a drum & bass base rhythm in Var 1, I open the page's menu and choose "Copy" then the copy screen opens with all the options as in the video.
Then I chose to copy Var 1 to Var 2, I don't change anything else, just press EXECUTE and the program confirms a successful operation. But when I exit the copy screen and get back to the recording page Var 2 is empty. Nothing was copied. I have made all kind of different changes to the options to copy from 1 to All and still the same reaults.
Note: This operation refers to a New Style (from scratch) please don't keep telling me that copying User Styles works for some of you becuse this is a whole different situation.

Last edited by armandoromeu on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snoopy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armandoromeu wrote:
...After completing recording a drum & bass base rhythm in Var 1, ...I open the page's menu...

Hi,

"After completing recording a drum & bass base rhythm in Var 1" you should first SAVE the new created style. After that is done continue as you did.

PA4X MUSIKANT, OS 3.1.0, PKG-Version
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While in STYLE/Record mode , when you create a Var from scratch , all midi events are kept in buffer memory
until you save the Style !
The copy function do not work with buffer memory but with saved data !
- When you modify Var 1 and then you copy it to Var 2 then only saved data will be transfered in Var 2 and not
the edited Var 1 if not saved first !
- Therefore edit/create your Var 1 midi events , write Style first (at user banks) from upper screen scroll
down menu and then try to copy Var 1 to elsewhere ...
This is what you might have missed there !

Hope this helps

PS : Snoopy , good synchronization !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V

Last edited by AntonySharmman on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify - we have sometimes terminology confusion with Korg keyboards:-
Korg uses the word "save" meaning save-to-media (i.e. disk USB etc.
Korg uses the word "write" meaning store-to-memory.

The above recommendations and suggestions are meaning "Write"

Whenever you make changes to (or create a new) style you must "write" the style to memory in order to keep those changes.
This is performed from the drop-down menu at the top-right of your style edit screen.

You can of course later "save" everything to disk.

Hope this helps

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
armandoromeu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new style IS saved, or written to style, as you prefer to name it. As a matter of fact I recall it and play with it everyday. I write my new edit to style after every satisfactory recording take I make. That's not the promem, I just have a new style with only one variation. I could record the same rhythm again but It won't have the same groove and velocities in it, besides if there's a copy option I might as well take advantage of it. Have anyone tried this on a new style made from scratch like I did? My new PA4X can't be different from others in any way. At this point I believe I'm doing the right steps and for some reason is just not working. It's so frustrating for me.
Creating my own styles is a must for me, I'm a vibraphonist, percussionist, keyboardist latin jazz performer and ALL the styles, sounds, and instruments from the PA4X are excellent and very real "except the latin rhythm, sounds and samples" For example you cannot create a realistic conga or bongo beat with the samples provided in any of the kits. I could get near enough creating my own, that's the magic I found in this instrument, and that's why this is important for me to create my own styles for boleros, beguines, cha chas, etc.
And with the vibraphone, my main instrument, it happens the same thing. It's the only instrument here that sounds false and could be anything but a real jazz vibraphonist sound or sticking. Other than that, this is the best arranger/keyboard I've ever tried and I had Roland, Tyros and Ketron before I discovered the PA4X. Sorry for talking this much, just wanted you guys to understand why it's so important to me.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armandoromeu wrote:
I just have a new style with only one variation. I could record the same rhythm again
but It won't have the same groove and velocities in it, besides if there's a copy option I might as well take advantage of it.
Have anyone tried this on a new style made from scratch like I did?

Can you do the following ?
- Media/Save all/open/click Styles and open it/open Style's Banks , select one style of yours with one only variation
that you can't copy Vars and save it in a new SET (no PCM needed)
- Upload it anywhere you like and send me the link to examine your midi events copying issue , if any !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: