Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos snare drum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil1967

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Kronos snare drum Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Does anyone else have a problem looking for a great sounding snare drum in the Kronos? It seems like none of the snares blends very well in the mix and they seem to stick out like a sore thumb. I use a drum beat with a rim shot to serve as a click track and the sequence sounds fine until I replace it with a drum track with a snare. I had a Korg 01/W that had a GREAT sounding drum kit called "Mr. Producer" with a snare that with the great effects (better than the Kronos) rang forever and sounded fantastic with almost any song. I wish Korg would offer all of the 01/W sounds for the Kronos. Since I still haven't sold the old workstation I'm on the verge of syncing it with the Kronos for the drums alone, but the 01/W doesn't have a digital out so I'm just looking for a good snare in the Kronos. Suggestions would be welcome.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos snare drum Reply with quote

Gil1967 wrote:
Hi everyone,
Does anyone else have a problem looking for a great sounding snare drum in the Kronos? It seems like none of the snares blends very well in the mix and they seem to stick out like a sore thumb. I use a drum beat with a rim shot to serve as a click track and the sequence sounds fine until I replace it with a drum track with a snare. I had a Korg 01/W that had a GREAT sounding drum kit called "Mr. Producer" with a snare that with the great effects (better than the Kronos) rang forever and sounded fantastic with almost any song. I wish Korg would offer all of the 01/W sounds for the Kronos. Since I still haven't sold the old workstation I'm on the verge of syncing it with the Kronos for the drums alone, but the 01/W doesn't have a digital out so I'm just looking for a good snare in the Kronos. Suggestions would be welcome.

I understand what you are saying. I have messed around with different kits which might help.

You also might find that EQ will change the snare.

Another technique or trick is to change pitch of the drum kit
tomto66

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sample the sound off your Korg 01/W. It's easy.
pete.m

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drastically improved my choice of drum sounds by loading thousands of drum samples (there are zillions of free legit kits online, plus cheap collections available on ebay, etc) into the Kronos, and randomly arranging the ones I liked into (currently) around 80 programs. It took a little while to set them up initially, but now I can always find something that works. I also continue to periodically add new samples as I go on - maybe another two or three kits' worth at a time. It's easy - give it a swing.
Wagnergrad96

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete.m wrote:
I drastically improved my choice of drum sounds by loading thousands of drum samples (there are zillions of free legit kits online, plus cheap collections available on ebay, etc) into the Kronos, and randomly arranging the ones I liked into (currently) around 80 programs. It took a little while to set them up initially, but now I can always find something that works. I also continue to periodically add new samples as I go on - maybe another two or three kits' worth at a time. It's easy - give it a swing.

Am I correct in saying that when you do that, you have no control over the velocity? That removes any nuance from drum playing.

I fiddle with the EQ of my snares and use the Stereo Limiter with the "snare body" preset.

I saw the suggestion on this thread to mess with the pitch. Interesting.
pete.m

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you do have full control over velocity, pitch, effects and all the other possibilities you have with any program.
When you convert the multisample (your collection of drum samples that you have mapped out across the keyboard) to a program, you can then edit the program as normal. Part of that editing includes the possibility to specify factors such as velocity, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: